4.0 out of 5 stars my main source of words for the GRE
Published on August 31, 2012 by Bikes With The Fishes

3.0 out of 5 stars Could use some more complexity
Pro: The explanations, examples, and etymology are the best I've seen in test prep.

Cons: The content is rather basic. The difficulty level of these words is MUCH lower than those present in the GRE Verbal. I was disappointed in the complexity of the vocab in these flashcards relative to the words I saw in the Verbal section.

On an unrelated note, I...
Published 3 months ago by Shruthi V.

4.0 out of 5 stars my main source of words for the GRE, August 31, 2012
Bikes With The Fishes (Portland, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 500 Advanced Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards (Cards)
I recently took the revised GRE and scored in the 85th percentile on the verbal section (much to my surprise I might add). I used both the Manhattans 500 Essential Words Flash Cards 500 Essential Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards as well as the Manhattan 500 Advanced Words Flash Cards 500 Advanced Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards. After making it through both of these sets of flash cards, I felt like I had a fairly good vocabulary for the GRE and did see many of these words on the test.

With this noted, if you do have additional time after finishing these two sets of flash cards, I **HIGHLY RECOMMEND** that you learn the 300 or so most common root words for the GRE as well. Root words are very helpful in deciphering words that you don't know that will come up on the GRE. I found Barron's Essential Words for the GRE book Essential Words for the GRE (Barron's GRE) to be a good source for this, although I'm sure you can find these same root words in the Kaplan or related books as well. And while 300 root words seems like a lot of words to learn, you will probably know some/many of these words already, so fear not! There doesn't seem to be a good set of root word flash cards out there, so I ended up making my own, which was fine. One last note about learning root words: they will also help to strengthen and reinforce the vocab words you already know or are learning from both sets of the Manhattan cards. Learn your root words!

If you need help with reading comprehension and verbal practice problems, I used several different books. Here is my preferred list of books, in order:

Kaplan New GRE Verbal Workbook
New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE)
While I usually don't like Kaplan as a company (and I have not used any of their other books), I *would* highly recommend using their verbal workbook as there seems to be a good amount of practice problems and they seem similar to what you might see on the GRE.

Secondly, I did use the Barron's GRE Verbal Workbook Barron's GRE Verbal Workbook and while I found it useful for it's large amount of practice problems, I found some of the vocab words used as answers were less common that what I saw either on the GRE or on other practice problems and practice tests. With this noted, I still recommend using this book.

Finally, I did use Manhattan's Reading Comprehension and Essay GRE Strategy Book as well. Reading Comprehension & Essays GRE Strategy Guide, 3rd Edition (Manhattan Prep Strategy Guides). The best thing I got from this book is learning how to take brief notes while reading over the reading passages on the GRE. Taking notes helps to reinforce what you are reading, a technique not talked about very often by other books. The practice problems in this book are decent, but nothing above that. I do wish they could have put more practice problems in this book (like the Kaplan Verbal Workbook), but there is still useful content here. If you are struggling with the analytical writing section, there are some good tips on this section as well.

One final note about both practicing your verbal, but also your math/quantitative: do as many practice tests as you can!!! When you purchase a book (any book I believe) from Manhattan, you get an access code to 6 full length online practice tests. I found these practice tests VERY VERY USEFUL for getting comfortable with the GRE format but also applying all of the verbal and math skills I was practicing. Most of the questions are very similar in difficulty to what you will see and you can review your questions as well. By the way, always review problems you get wrong, this is really important! For Kaplan, you have to purchase the Kaplan Premiere GRE review book to get the disc with access to 10 verbal practice tests and 10 quantitative practice tests. Like the Manhattan, I found these practice tests VERY VERY useful. Do yourself a favor, and get access to both the Manhattan and the Kaplan practice tests It will help immensely!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive Flashcard Set, November 10, 2012
This review is from: 500 Advanced Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards (Cards)
I teach standardized tests full time and recommend these vocabulary flash cards to my students over all others. They're well put-together, both in terms of their physical qualities and durability, and the content therein. Coupled with the 500 Essential Words box set, it's one of the best investments to make for GRE studies.

My only contention with the list is that, every so often, Manhattan seems to get a bit lazy with etymologies. I remember a few words that begin with "de-" where the prefix "de-" emphasizes a definition rather than giving its opposite. An example is the word "delimit", which means "to set boundaries." Rather than explaining that the "de-" is a root from Latinate languages, they just shrug it off and say "this prefix doesn't seem to do much", but it's a very common trait in English phrasings, as in the words "definite", "demarcate", "delineate", and so on, where the "de-" prefix is actually reinforcing an idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, January 21, 2013
This review is from: 500 Advanced Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards (Cards)
I'm an international student, English is not my native language. I used to study Barron 800 vocabulary for a while then changed to Manhattan flash cards. I can say that Manhattan is much better. Examples are easy to remember, synonyms are delivered in an easy way. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful!, December 21, 2012
Sina Ghiabi (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 500 Advanced Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards (Cards)
Very Useful! Almost all the words that are used on the test can be found in the Manhattan sets if you are taking GRE I would recommend buying these. I am not a native speaker and they helped me a copious amount. Native English speakers would know most of the words but these cards give different meanings and usage of the words.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice cards, go well with the Essential Words, November 5, 2011
These are a great match to the Essential Words cards, and they even start the numbering on these at 500 so you don't mix the two sets up if you don't want to. Here is my review of the essential words:

I bought the Kaplan AND these Manhattan GRE flashcards. The Manhattan are better, and here is why:

Basically they are both the same in content. The Kapplan have a nice pronunciation guide, which is the only benefit they have over these.

The Kaplan cards (NOT THESE MANHATTAN CARDS) are cheap. They are printed on thin paper, and they are physically pretty small. Also I wish the printing on the back were upside-down from how it is now (both brands are like this). These Manhattan cards are bigger, printed on card stock but still reasonably thin, and come with a nice key-ring that fits through holes. With these Manhattan cards you load up the key ring, and blast through about 50, maybe stash them in a large pocket and get to them later, or throw them in the backpack. Those Kaplan cards you are forced to try and keep the tiny cards together in stacks. The Manhattan you will use more because they are just easier to work with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boosted My Verbal Score!, July 12, 2013
I'm positive these cards boosted by GRE verbal score. I did a couple of practice tests before and after, and they were always lower than my Quant score. Well, after I took the official GRE, it turns out my Verbal was way higher than my Quant. To be honest, I did lower on my Quant that expected - test day jitters? - but I did much better than I had predicted on my Verbal. My percentile predictions were based on like 10 practice sections I had completed, and I just averaged those.

I really like the key ring that's provided so you can take them with you pretty much anywhere. I know I did! The cards themselves were quite durable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Colors would make this even better, September 23, 2011
Good choice of words in the deck. The examples are sometimes inadequate to form a good memory link. Adding colors would help train the mind to groups of similar words.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT cards that will be very helpful on the GRE!, August 25, 2014
This review is from: 500 Advanced Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards (Cards)
I have to say that I was hesitant about purchasing these cards at first because I thought it would just be words on the front and definitions on the back. But it's much more than that. Yes, on the front is the word, part of speech, and pronunciation. On the back of the card is the definition, example sentences, synonyms, and interesting facts about the words. Many of the sentences are pretty funny--the author seems to have a great sense of humor. It actually makes learning these cards much more fun and interesting. I also love the little factoids that are included with each word. Overall, I would highly recommend this set of flash cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vocab Builder, December 9, 2013
This review is from: 500 Advanced Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards (Cards)
Great test prep tool. Use only if you are going to have time to memorize them all. Many of the words I'd studied popped up.Glad I took the time to work on them vs the Kaplan book

3.0 out of 5 stars Could use some more complexity, October 16, 2014
This review is from: 500 Advanced Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards (Cards)

On an unrelated note, I can even confirm that many of these words are actually easier than those in the SAT.

Perhaps these cards are designed to remedy an extremely poor vocabulary. Otherwise, the gains from using these flashcards seem small.

500 Advanced Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards
500 Advanced Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards by Manhattan Prep GRE (Cards - May 22, 2012)
$18.95 $16.79