Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 3, 2013
This is a cute little book with a lot of blocks in it. Some of them are "repeats" but not really because of stitch variations. It is the perfect size book to take along in your tote bag to reference a pattern if you like to crochet on the go. The book is filled with beautiful and colorful photographs. The only draw back is that some of the blocks (when they show variations) do challenge your eyesight if you are over 40. The print is extremely small on those. I would guess it to be a 6 point font. It is still readable but for those with poor eyesight be sure to have your reading glasses available. Although, I can understand it being so small if their aim was to keep this book tiny so you can tote it along. I have yet to make anything from this book so I can't comment on accuracy of patterns just yet but from reading through on some of the more simple patterns they look to be well written. All in all a great book for your crochet library. A lot of projects can be made from these blocks and some of them can be extended, for instance things like the ripple stitches you can just keep going and make a full blanket or whatever you want to make.
I've been a crocheter for a very long time. I have seen various trends come and go but the one technique that seems to remain constant is the desire to crochet small units of fabric to use to assemble a larger piece. If you think of such a blanket as you would a quilt, you can see the endless projects that can be put together. And such blocks are not necessarily for blankets (afghans) - they can be use to make shawls or dresses or anything your little heart desires.
As such, I have collected such books as Granny Squares: 20 Crochet Projects with a Vintage Vibe and The Granny Square Book: Timeless Techniques and Fresh Ideas for Crocheting Square by Square among others. The question becomes "why in the world do I need _another_ book about making squares?"
The answer is simple. Each author brings something different into the mix. It's not just a few different squares, it's technique and suggestions. This book 500 Crochet Blocks has some absolutely stunning designs. The instructions are clear and concise, so a newbie could use this book to increase his/her skill with the hook. Plus the projects are small enough to work up quickly, thus allowing the time pressed a chance to accomplish a small square for experimentation.
I recommend this book highly to newbies as well as experienced crocheters.
on May 23, 2013
Loved the photos, though they really could be much bigger as could the book, something publishers and writers forget.. demographic of readers that buy this book, like myself, will need reading glasses to view it.
on August 19, 2014
A nice little reference book, however, there are NOT 500 different patterns in the book. They use different color combinations with the same pattern in their count, so you're only getting MAYBE 200-300 different patterns, if that. I was rather disappointed with that.
on October 9, 2013
I have a large collection of "block" books. Although the main block pages are well worth buying the book for, if you are just beginning to love blocks, it is the additional ways to change them into different designs which I love. The pictures clearly show what you can do. Directions for all stiches included.
on October 21, 2013
Books Arrived quickly, did Not see that The little 500 crochet books were The same...I can gift a book To my daughter in law as she is always borrowing My books:-) Thanks for your quick an pleasent trasction. Fast delivery, very well packaged! Will use again.
on October 5, 2013
I needed this book to start a epic sized crochet afghan and it fits the bill perfectly!! Gray skies of winter will be filled with my sampler afghan
on June 14, 2013
This book is filled with so many patterns to choose, you wil find it hard to choose just one. To me this is a great little book.
on July 22, 2014
A really great companion, from the basic stitches in the front, through the diagrams, to the index at the back. Thank you!
on July 3, 2013
very disappointed. I ordered this book plus another book by the same authors. I thought they were 2 diff books. I received them from 2 different sellers(the sellers were wonderful). basically the books are the exact same page for page, they just changed the covers. either they are being sold wrong or I was completely ripped off. I will never by any more of their books. it isn't worth my time to return I will give one to a friend. I have been buying off of amazon for about a year and this is the only horrible/bad experience I have had. can you give zero stars because that is what the authors deserve!!!!