5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect companion to my new ice cream maker!
I got this book because I got an ice cream maker for Christmas and I love it. It contains more than just ice cream, sorbet and gelato recipes. It includes "ices" and frozen desserts, as well as low-fat and non-dairy recipes.
Published on December 30, 2009 by jefferyson

1.0 out of 5 stars It's worse than that
Published 2 months ago by Thomas J. Brothers

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect companion to my new ice cream maker!, December 30, 2009
This review is from: 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets & Gelatos: The Only Ice Cream Compendium You'll Ever Need (500 Cooking (Sellers)) (Hardcover)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start to making a lot of different ice creams, March 13, 2010
The 500 Ice Creams, Gelatos, and sorbets provides 125 recipes for a variety of frozen treats from everyday to special occasions. Each of the 125 recipes has four minor variations that tweak the item into a different version by adding a new flavor profile. An ice cream maker is essential for this one and it provides great variations on how to make ice creams as well as different specialty concoctions that can be formed with simple and direct recipes. We have only found a few recipes to be a little vague on the directions but overall have not had too many problems with this book. Overall well recommended for those that are looking for a lot of frozen recipes that can be built on.

5.0 out of 5 stars yum - lots of recipes and yummy variations., January 22, 2012
Bought this to go with the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment I got for my husband for xmas. There are a ton of great recipes in here. I really like that it gives you a "basic" recipe, and then afterwards several variations on that recipe. Some of the variations are common-sense (subbing one nut for another, for example), but others are creative and yummy. And the 'frozen treats' section at the end isn't a cop-out - it has some yummy recipes, too. So far, we've only made the chocolate, but it was DIVINE.

Almost all the ice cream recipes seem to call for "superfine sugar," which we couldn't find. Reportedly, you can run regular sugar through a food processor (it's not as fine as confectioner's), but we don't have a food processor and our blender died. So we just broke some up with a mortar and pestle and it seemed to work well.

4.0 out of 5 stars 501 ice-cream recipes, May 1, 2011
"500 ice creams, sorbets & gelatos" is a wonderful little book featuring 500 ice-cream recipes you cam make with an ice-cream maker in your own kitchen. It features everything from old fashion French vanilla to watermelon granita. But some how, having 500 recipes don't seem to be enough, and every time I put the book down, I am left wanting more. After all, who doesn't like ice-cream?

1.0 out of 5 stars It's worse than that, October 14, 2014
Thomas J. Brothers (Lynnwood, WA United States) - See all my reviews
One reviewer said the book is "vague". It's worse than that. The very first recipe, the most fundamental ice cream recipe, the one for plain old vanilla has a glaring error. The recipe never says what to do with the half of the milk that is initially reserved. Do you heat it with the rest of the milk? Do you mix it in with the whipping cream? Do you just add it at the end? Do you pour it over the finished frozen ice cream? The last option may be out, but seriously, what do you do with it?
If you can't rely on plain vanilla what good is an ice cream recipe book?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lil Book, April 23, 2012
Ordered a Cuisinart Icecream Maker and thought I needed an ice cream book. My boyfriend and I tried a few recipes already. They're great. Tons and tons of recipes. We really like that it's not just ice cream recipes bu also sorbets and gelatos. I love the basic vanilla flavor and I just throw in my favorite toppings. Hardbound book with great pictures too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book !!! seriously!, April 21, 2012
You will love this little pink ice cream bible! We do! From the basic vanilla to the most unbelievable frozen treats...its like exploring a new universe! The recipes are so well written and photographs big and bright. Yep, you get this, you're done. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars yummy, April 22, 2011
only made one recipe so far, but it is great. I like the compact size of the book, the layout and they way they offer suggestions for each recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for those that love ice cream, ices and sorbets, October 27, 2011
pbk63 "RS" (Missouri, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as a gift for my children to use with their ice cream makers and also one for myself. Instructions and book with ice cream maker was good but this gives a broader range to types of ice creams, sorbets and gelatos. It also covers sherbets which instructions with ice cream maker did not. Highly recommend for those with ice cream makers that want to broaden the range of items they can make in their machines.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, October 14, 2011
We bought an ice cream maker in September and we get most of are recipes from this book. My daughter is 12 and makes all these recipes by herself. The ice cream comes out so wonderful and delicious.