5.0 out of 5 stars Only ONE pattern book? This is it!
Published on November 10, 2002 by Heart To Hand

3.0 out of 5 stars Great block ideas!
Published on January 30, 2002 by Janette W. Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Only ONE pattern book? This is it!, November 10, 2002
Heart To Hand (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 501 Quilt Blocks: A Treasury of Patterns for Patchwork & Applique (Better Homes and Gardens Cooking) (Paperback)
This is my all time favorite pattern book!! If I could only afford one pattern book, I hope that is not so, this would be it! Loaded with 250 pages of patterns for patchwork, appliqué and many are easily adaptable to foundation piecing. Blocks are shown in 4" size but I have enlarged them on a copier with great success. Each of the blocks are shown in clear concise color photos. There are many wonderful themes scattered throughout the book, including: Teatime, Thirties, Flowers, Noah's Ark, and every holiday you can think of. The Preface offers 40 different projects you could make with these blocks, including wearable art.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great block ideas!, January 30, 2002
Janette W. Cooper (Troy, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
As a beginning quilter I love seeing all the different blocks with the names. It's a great reference guide. However, I don't like the fact that the blocks are so small and the patterns don't give you cutting instuctions or seam allowances. The color photos of the finished blocks are really nice to have, but the sewing in the photos is not very good quality and it gives the impression that the blocks may be difficult to make.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great block ideas--not really for beginners..., May 9, 2002
By A Customer
This is a great block pattern book. However as a beginner quilter, I have a hard time using this book to it's full potential because many of the patterns are a difficult and translating these blocks into a quilt requires some experience in figuring out how much fabric you'll need. I am definitely keeping the book and I'm sure I'll use it more when I'm a bit more experienced. I would recommend it to intermediate and advanced quilters.

5.0 out of 5 stars 501 4 inch blocks to choose from here!, July 1, 1998
By A Customer
This book gives diagrams for 501 4 inch blocks and a few examples of how to make these into quilts. The 4 inch blocks cover traditional designs such as sawtooth, friendship star and attic windows, a wide variety of floral designs, sunbonnets, block for each month of the year, holiday themes, hearts, Christmas, Easter, Santas, Halloween, trees and leaves, birds and butterflies, building blocks, ships and planes, stars, baskets, alphabet, numerals, juvenile, cats, sewing and southwest inspired blocks.Simple instructions are provided. Many blocks lend themselves to foundation piecing.

5.0 out of 5 stars BH&Gardens 501 quilt blocks, December 6, 2002
BARBARA A. SUDFELD (Fenton, MO United States) - See all my reviews
The book just arrived. I am new at quilting. There is every applique design you could ever want to use. The other block designs are just beautiful. If I could only have 1 book to use, it would be this book. The directions are clear and very easy to understand. I can't wait to get startedf!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars addictive fun, March 22, 2000
When looking through this book ,you cannot help but imagine all the projects you could make with it. The variety of subjects of the blocks, makes it very flexible and will enable you to make a quilt on almost any subject. It also covers a good variety of patchwork, and applique. For anyone who knows the basics of these arts, this book would be a very useful and addictive reference guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Homes and Gardens 501 Quilt Blocks : A Treasury of Pa, May 12, 2001
qwilter "Ruth Mahoney" (Riverview, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I had no idea that this was a book of 4" blocks when I ordered it. It is exactly what I needed since I am focusing on smaller quilts. Has full size blocks that can be traced for foundation piecing. Some great ideas for projects. I highly recommend it for all quilters but especially for the quilters who like smaller projects. It is truly a "treasury" and belongs in your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is addicting!, August 22, 1998
By A Customer
The minute I saw this book, I had to have it. The directions were very clear. The book did not repeat basic topics that seem to take up just 1/3 of just about every quilt book I ever read, yet it would be appropriate for beginners or advanced quilters. It provided more patterns than I have ever seen in one quilt book. Both traditional and brand new ideas were presented. My favorite quilt block was the one with the rotary cutter.

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful visuals, August 19, 2000
This is the book that I turn to when I need some inspiration to get back to the sewing machine. There are just so many wonderful photographs, so clear and beautiful. The blocks seem to have endless subject matters, yet allow you to put them together to create a uniform looking pattern . This book always lifts my spirits, and makes me think that quilt patterns ar endless in their possibilities.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good variety, great applique! Good for miniaturists., November 5, 1998
By A Customer
I found this book to be a reference I turn to again and again, especially when I'm looking for floral applique ideas and holiday inspirations. Also, the small size of the blocks included (all blocks are 4" square) allows for a lot of experimentation. I only gave it three stars because there are so many "families" of blocks; that wasn't initially clear when I purchased it -- I hoped for more variety. Fun to leaf through when I'm feeling a little blocked (pun not intentional -- sorry!), however.

$22.95 $17.85