Customer Discussions > North By Northwest forum

50th Anniversary edition of North by Northwest?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2009 2:45:20 PM PST
r says:
This is one of my favorite films ever ... I've been hoping they'd have an anniversary edition with extras, etc. but I can't find any mention online yet. Anyone know?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 7:43:18 AM PST
D. J. Glen says:
Multiple sources (thedigitalbits.com, etc...) have cited this as on Warner's Blu-ray release list for 2009. When that happens, it's likely there'll be a standard DVD re-release as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2009 6:44:43 PM PDT
72dolphins says:
thanks for the information!! I agree with that guy Ridge. this is one of the best films of any generation and should have a special 50 year edition.

Posted on Jul 24, 2009 1:11:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 6, 2011 3:10:10 PM PST]

Posted on Jul 25, 2009 11:01:47 AM PDT
bobazon says:
North by Northwest (50th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Book) [Blu-ray]

November!

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 11:48:58 AM PST
So, which is the best home version of North by Northwest to own? Obviously, not the blu-ray version. Which DVD is the best? Or do they all suck, meaning I should just wait for a re-remastered blu-ray version...?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 1:17:43 PM PST
North by Northwest (50th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Book) [Blu-ray.
I think this is the best version.
Why do you say "not the BLU RAY"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 1:24:09 PM PST
The blu-ray and blu-ray book have been both hammered heavily in the Amazon reviews for their terrible color. They claim that Cary Grant looks either corpse-like or Frankenstein green throughout the film and that a lot of the film's imagery is muddy. These reviewers all claim the old DVD is much better visually than the blu-ray --- but they don't say which one. The 50th Anniversary DVD got a lot of flak on Amazon, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 3:21:10 AM PST
Well my copy of the Blu Ray is beautiful. That's all I can say.
Thank you for answering my question though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 9:50:14 AM PST
If you want to read more detailed condemnations of the NbNW blu-ray, just click on Amazon's one star reviews of the blu-ray version of the movie.

I'm glad you got a great copy, though!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 3:23:04 AM PST
Thank you,
So I read all the 22 one star reviews and obviously there was a bad batch 422 of the 5 star reviews had no problems....
Reading reviews on Amazon is a challenge.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 3:00:39 PM PST
I tend to believe the reviews that are detailed. I disregard the reviews that say stuff like "Wow! It looks great!" without any specifics. I look for the reviews where someone has carefully A-B'd the DVD vs. the blu-ray, or writes in critical detail as to what they specifically liked or disliked about the technical aspects of the product. Most people that love a particular film will give it a stellar review, regardless of the quality, because 1) like I said, they love the film; 2) they're just so happy the film has finally made it to blu-ray that gratefulness overwhelms their critical faculties; 3) they don't really have much technical knowledge (it plays, therefore it's great); or, 4) perhaps, they might not have a high quality system that allows them to discern good from great or good from bad.

I'll go back and sift through those good reviews of NbyNW to see if I missed something.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  North By Northwest forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about