Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 8, 2012 12:55:55 PM PDT
Packaging is slightly different on the UK version. Each movie comes in its own case with a slipbox housing them. Or for about $10 more you can get the really cool coffin box package.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 7:06:53 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
That is what I did, I ordered the UK Limited Edition Coffin packaging. I can't wait!

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 8:52:06 PM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Got the coffin coming myself! Should have plastic hubs for the discs as well, rather than cardboard slots a'la Indian Jones. Hope it shows up in one piece and not dented!

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 8:20:56 PM PDT
Ken Volok says:
I am on pins and needles and will probably burst when this arrives Tuesday. Good news too, all the HD transfers and restorations are getting A+ reviews, none of the nonsense the Hitchcock set is experiencing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 8:21:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 29, 2012 8:22:06 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 4:32:10 PM PDT
I was thinking of getting the UK set, but it doesn't have all the extras that the US set has. Primarily, it's missing one of the commentaries.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 10:11:29 AM PDT
Ken Volok says:
UK set doesn't have the Spanish language version of Dracula I've read.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 11:20:14 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
I've heard both. I head it does, and I also have heard it doesn't.

My UK limted edition coffin set just shipped, I should have it in a week. Either way, I only paid $60usd for it and I am very excited to own such great classic horror films.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 11:23:30 AM PDT
Ken Volok says:
Hmm.. Papertiger I wish I had your patience!!!!!!! Mine still hasn't shipped tho I just got dinged for tax so hopefully that's a good sign... maybe they received delivery at the warehouse or something..

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 11:25:29 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
The US set is just too expensive compaired to the UK set. I also like the Limited Editon Coffin from the UK, can't wait to display it on my shelf.

It's going to be a great halloween!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 11:49:48 AM PDT
Ken Volok says:
Yes!! I inaugurated October with Caligari at midnight.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 2:23:45 PM PDT
I've never seen that it didn't have the spanish version of Dracula. I have read, though, that it's missing one of the commentaries.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 2:26:11 PM PDT
Ken Volok says:
Even if it's an original cast or crew member I doubt one commentary is worth $60.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 6:03:55 PM PDT
paper tiger says:
According to the information on Blu-ray.com the Spanish version of Drácula will be included in the UK set, making it just like the US edition.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Universal-Classic-Monsters-The-Essential-Collection-Blu-ray/51918/#Overview

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 6:42:17 PM PDT
noemad says:
I just bought the Limited Edition Coffin box for $64.99 at Amazon.co.uk.
It's disappointing that Amazon.com is charging $111.99 for the basic set--without the coffin box.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 9:22:02 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
I just received my UK Universal Classic Monsters Blu-ray Coffin today and I can confirm that it is region free and it does come with both English and Spanish versions of Dracula.

The box is small, but really perfectly sized because now I can put it on my shelf with all my other blu-rays. It is the height of a regular Blu-ray case, but it is a little deeper, and of course wider. Very nice set, I'm so glad I imported.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 11:25:36 AM PDT
Matt M. says:
Do the SD special features also play on Region A Blu-Ray players? I've had problems playing region-free PAL DVDs on some players, but I wasn't sure if that would carry over to Blu-Rays.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 11:29:56 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
PAL format is only for SD information, which CAN carry over to Blu-ray. People do get confused, but just because it is on Blu-ray doesn't mean it is in HD, it just means it is on a larger disc with more space. I watched Dracula and skipped trough the menu and bonus features and had no issues. I have not watched all of the movies though.

But everything I am hearing is that this UK set is 100% region free for those of us in the US.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 2:42:53 PM PDT
Some Guy says:
The paper sleeve packaging will make me pass on this. Pay even $50 for something with bad packaging means it could get damaged. This is a joke.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 4:55:52 PM PDT
paper tiger says:
I picked up the UK Coffin set and the coffin is a nice hard cardboard which protects the thinner cardboard sleeve. It's a really nice set and I'm so very glad I imported the UK Limited Edition coffin for only $60. I think it is OOP now!

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 6:20:33 PM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
I have the UK coffin set and the special features all play in 60hz which is NTSC and not Pal. (My Oppo BD player lets me check the frame rate that is on the disc) if anything, those in the UK will have trouble seeing them with the proper frame rate, but for US viewers it will display perfectly. As stated by others, ALL content is region Free on these discs, either UK or US versions. Cheers! Marty G

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2013 5:39:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2013 5:42:16 AM PDT
I paid roughly $40 and just got the region free set, did not know about the coffin set. But, like the set I got due to my shelving situation.
I had been eying these movies individually hoping they would go down in price. Thank you whoever made the first post about the uk site. I would have spend the $65 that this site is asking. You saved me $25.

Does anyone else think that it was low of Amazon to change it's $25 free shipping policy to a minimum of $35 just before the holidays like that?
Ralph.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Aug 8, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about