1,144 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality filter
I bought this filter for my Canon 50mm f/1.4. The 50mm lens consistently gives me my top images so I wanted a good quality filter for it. My main goal here is protection of my lens, but at the same time I wanted something that didn't degrade my images. I usually get lower quality filters but this time decided to splurg for the expensive one.

My first...
Published on August 28, 2007 by T. Keidl

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful about this product from Amazon
I paid a great deal of money for this filter considering the wide range of lower priced ones available and on top of it I purchased it from Amazon directly in order to be assured I received what I was paying for. In this case it appears that I received a used filter for the price of a new one. It came in what appeared to be new retail box, but upon opening it the...
Published 10 months ago by Angele Florisi

5.0 out of 5 stars B+W 72E CLEAR UV HAZE MRC (010M) (I believe) with Nikkor 18-200, September 1, 2008
Been my first time on Amazon and english not my motherlanguage I was full of doubts, but, following one step after another, everything was clarified and I had a good surprise at the end, as I could pay in euros. Delivery was as previewed, so I am perfectly satisfied with service.
About the filter, I am no expert, but after searching a lot, I concluded that B+W were optically at least one of the best and their MRC (Multi Resistent Coating) an aditional advantage. My doubts:
1- Slim or "normal" (this item). One hard to find information was the real differences between them (perhaps too evident for someone that had the filter in his hand, which was not my case), finally I believed that I found out that the slim version was slimmer because there was no outer thread, so also no possibility to attach a second filter and also the lens cap would not fit well. But (I read) B+W would advise to use the slim version with lenses with focal lenghts under 28 mm because of vignetting, and my Nikkor 18-200 is equivalent to 27 mm in wide angle. I decided to take the risk, and after a few trials, I see no vignetting. Attached, the filter only shows a thickness of 4 mm (better than an older 62 mm filter (for another lens) I have with 5 mm. The lens cap fits perfectly.
2- Filter identification: At Schneider they call the filter 72E CLEAR UV HAZE MRC (010M), that is not exactly like at Amazon (the all important MRC misses), fortunatly the item number 66-070243 clarified and the filter I received has MRC written on it.
3- Price: "A UV filter should be cheap" (I think), don't they say it protects our expensive lenses? I would say 5% of the lens value would be the most, that was not the case here, but with the help of Amazon I could make it for 9%... (well, at least I have the best filter in the world).

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality materials and construction make the price worth it, May 17, 2008
Simply put, there are more affordable options that provide more than adequate if not equal optics for the money. But if you swap filters often enough you'll probably find that B+W's filters have less issues with flex and, more importantly, soft (i.e., easily damaged) threads like those sold by Tiffen and Hoya that I've experienced in the past. Cross-threading a filter is NOT my idea of providing nice treatment to any of those expensive lenses of mine, and having done that once or twice in my lifetime I've sworn that I will always do my best to get the best-made filters available to protect and use on MY glass, even if it costs a bit more. Any filter can be damaged, but I've had great experiences with B+W products and until they prove themselves otherwise unworthy, will continue to use them again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's invisible - which is why you want it., December 24, 2008
I did some simple tests to determine just how much this filter degrades an image. Took shots with the filter on and with no filter on and compared results under extreme magnification. I was pleased to find that there was absolutely no visible difference that I could detect. Well done, B & W.

What about Tiffen?

Because Amazon usually includes a free Tiffen or Hoya filter with every lens, I usually get it for one reason only... to protect my lens until my B+W filter arrives. Once the B+W arrives, I throw away the Tiffen. Please don't be an idiot that spends $500-$1,000 on a new lens who then puts a $6 filter on the front. There IS a difference and it is clearly visible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Protection, December 13, 2007
Jeffrey A. Childs (Chicago metro area) - See all my reviews
Granted it is just a simple filter but this filter helps protect my very expensive Canon L series glass and because it is multi coated it helps with reflective glare and haze that would otherwise ruin some very special memories. If you are not going to buy this particular filter, definately buy a multi coated filter. Why spend big bucks on quality glass and not take advantage of everything that expensive lens offers by going cheap on its protection, it is a no brainer in my mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best filter hand's down., December 15, 2010
Jim K (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I have high-end Canon Lenses and originally installed Tifen UV filters on them. I don't really need UV protection, but put the filter on to protect the costly lens. I had been very disappointed in the quality of my pictures. They always seemed washed out and the color was flat. Sort-of like taking a picture through a glass window... I never used my lenses without a filter on them, so I never thought about the filter being an issue until I read some posts online about problems with Tifen glass filters. The more I researched, the light went off in my head. I did some test shots with the Tifen on and off. It was a night and day difference. My $1500+ lenses were not garbage after all. This is when I found out about B&W and the MRC Filter. I bought one and did a similar test. If anything, the photo is better with the B&W installed than it is without it. I was sold and ordered a B&W UVA/Haze with the MRC #10 coating for every lens I own. I will never shoot without it again. I learned my lesson the hard way. I hope by reading this you don't have to trash as many pics as I did. B&W's are costly, but so are the lenses you are installing them on. Don't cheap out when it comes to lens protection.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product. fast shipping., September 29, 2007
great filter for my canon 70-200mm f4 L. bought a tiffen wide-angle uv by mistake and the cap never clicked on. now everything is perfect after replacing with this b+w.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT Filters, No Ghosts or Shadows + Lense Protection, May 28, 2008
Stuart Floyd (Colchester, VT) - See all my reviews
B&W are one of my favorite filter makers and personally I have never had a problem with their products and they have only protected my equipment as well as making sure I get the real shots I desire or what I am actually seeing without side affects that often occur with cheap or non-multicoated filters. Shop around, read reviews and even look at them in photo stores, compare etc. I paid about 1/2 of what I would have in a store by shopping online.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very high quality, January 14, 2008
Much better construction than the Hoya (other than Pro 1) and Tiffen filters I've owned. Image quality seems identical with or without the filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars best uv filter i have used so far.., November 1, 2007
i prefer b&w over hoya, cause it cleans quickly and remain clean for months unlike hoya that i have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't get a cheap filter. Get this one., October 5, 2007
This is a 77mm filter. Obviously you paid good money for your lens, so why get a $20 lens with cheap window glass that will just degrade your pictures? Sure, any filter will protect your lens from dust and scratches, but why not get one that actually reduces haze and helps your images?

I would say that this particular filter is great, but it should be the cheapest you should go when buying a UV filter for a nice lens (and most 77mm lenses are pretty nice). Some people would say that this one is not good enough, but I have 2 of them for different 77mm lenses, and they work great.

I learned the hard way though. I bought a canon 50mm prime lens and figured the best thing to get would be a canon UV haze filter. Bad idea. I got so many strange light reflections at night and if anything, it just made my pictures less clear. I ended up removing that piece of junk and my picture quality suddenly improved. Since then, I will only buy quality filters from names like B&W and Hoya. Bottom line with optical products - you get what you pay for. So why put a $30 filter on a $800-$2000 lens? You might as well not use a filter at all - and get better results.

Rate and Discover Movies