Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

$56 for the Kindle version and $36 for paperback

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 5, 2010 5:39:09 PM PDT
David Ivey says:
I hate Penguin. I can't tell you how much I look forward to the day that everybody has ebooks, and authors can finally bypass these blood sucking publishers and publish directly.

If Amazon were smart they would figure out how to make the basic Kindle as cheap as possible and then give them away.

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 1:38:22 PM PDT
KJ says:
I agree that it is absurd to have the Kindle version more than the paperback! It is insane! It is the same thing with the Twilight series! And what gets me is they just increased the price of this set because I was looking at it earlier and it wasn't close to $56! It makes me mad that I bought a Kindle sometimes!

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 11:50:42 AM PDT
K. Pattie says:
I bought this set for $32.00 and it wasn't even worth that. This is truly a ridiculous Kindle price.

Posted on Jun 11, 2010 1:42:11 AM PDT
Holy crap... My jaw dropped seeing the $55.99 kindle price point. I paid maybe 20 for the used hardcovers and was hoping for a more portable edition. Guess I'm sticking to the hardcovers

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 10:47:32 PM PDT
Wow...this is disgusting. I bought these for about 30 bucks and have enjoyed them so far but, 20 dollars more than the paperbacks for an ebook is just plain stupid.

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 1:44:31 PM PDT
Amy Jones says:
The pricing is a major issue that Amazon needs to help regulate if they are going to be a major player in the eBook space. Until then...my Kindle won't be seeing any of Sookie Stackhouse...

Posted on Jun 16, 2010 9:11:27 AM PDT
crystalmes says:
This annoys me, I had put it on my wishlist when it was $25 and now this? Forget it. I am so annoyed.

Posted on Jun 21, 2010 11:08:17 AM PDT
Honestly you can dl these books, and what going to happen is people are going to dl them instead of paying for them since the price is so unjustified

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 9:22:16 PM PDT
Bree says:
I just deleted it from my wish list I might have bought it at $32 in a month without many new releases but I have 1 of the 8 and at $56 it exceeds buying them seperately and almost reaches buying them at full price (which is overpriced). I may buy the physical copy but I was hoping to cut down on the physical books adding to my collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 2:24:41 AM PDT
I agree. Within the past 6 months it has been about 28.99 or in that neighborhood.

Posted on Jul 4, 2010 6:56:48 PM PDT
Jessica says:
Apparently the issue is that Penguin thinks they should charge $63 for both the ebook & the boxed set of these books (http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/features/charlaineharris/index.html).

But after seeing this price difference, I'm going to get the books from the library instead. I want the kindle version but theres no way I'm paying $20 more for it than I would for the paperbacks. So I'll wait and get them from the library.

Posted on Jul 12, 2010 11:22:35 AM PDT
W. Borre says:
No way am I buying an ebook without the price being below paperback or without a linked table of contents for a collection treated as one ebook. Way to go Penguin.

Posted on Jul 18, 2010 7:29:54 PM PDT
Banana says:
Can't believe the price of the kindle set...unbelievable. Heading to the library for these books.

Posted on Jul 31, 2010 3:00:13 PM PDT
andys girl says:
I agree with everyone else. I was going to buy them on Kindle, but they are $20 less as paperbacks? What? Now I don't really feel like buying them at all.

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 3:46:06 AM PDT
cristobal says:
What does one say to this? Clearly Penguin is trying to kill the e-book. I'm at the point now where I'm pretty much boycotting all things Penguin. I don't know if they're the worst publisher in terms of pricing in toto; I can only go by the pricing on the books *I* look at, and in that regard they are.

As far as I'm concerned, Penguin is the devil.

Posted on Aug 7, 2010 5:52:59 PM PDT
Dena says:
ughhhh! this stinks. i just bought the newest kindle last wkend partially bc i wanted the digital sookie stackhouse series (out of bookshelf space lol). but Penquin won't be seeing my $$ in any form. i'm borrowing or buying used paperbacks after seeing the price. ridiculous!

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 8:44:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2010 8:50:13 AM PDT
I'm stunned by the pricing difference. I'm a big fan of the series, and reread it on a fairly regular basis. I've been considering the Kindle for some time, and I had decided to take the plunge this morning and order one, so I don't have to try to jam two books into my purse when I'm near the end of one and about to start another. I already own these books in paperback (and some in hardcover). I was totally turned off to learn that I'd have to shell out significantly more to own it in a more ephemeral format with virtually no overhead in production costs. Apparently, I'm not ready to buy a Kindle just yet.

And Penguin? Here's a suggestion that ought to appeal to people who still treasure solid books. If you buy your book in paperback or hardcover on Amazon, make an additional purchase of a Kindle version available for one cent. Hell, you could even set up gifts at Christmas for people to send real books to their loved ones, with a note from Amazon containing a code to download their accompanying Kindle version.

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 11:40:19 AM PDT
Lis says:
That's Penguin for you. They almost always price their ebooks as more than the paperbacks; I suppose it's their way of trying to kill the ebook. I haven't purchased a book published by Penguin since April; there are far too many good books out there from other publishers that are much more reasonably priced.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2010 11:46:53 PM PDT
I am going to have to agree with you. It is really sad that something that doesn't use up natural resources is now $20 more than the ones that do. When I first looked at the set it was $25 dollars. Other than the popularity of the True Blood series, there is no reason I can see for the price to more than DOUBLE for the same item. Amazon needs to take a look at this!

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 5:29:16 PM PDT
Jess says:
Ever since I started going through a book a day on average I started downloading pirated books whenever I can simply because of this type of crap. Currently I'm waiting on about 60 books to convert to mobi files for reading. All of these books are priced $9 or higher on here so I just can't feel bad for it. I'll happily pay for books that are reasonably priced but this sort of thing just pisses me off. I can only read digital books thanks to my baby always playing grabby with physical books I try to read so I don't even have that option. Yay for adding more books to my "find for free" list. :)

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 7:46:53 AM PST
R. Smith says:
ok, I think this is insane!

I just bought the 7 book paperback set, cheap second hand, and I think I will be starting to lend it out myself....free... (after I read them)... to friends and coworkers... then to the library for others to borrow... can you imagine young adults being able to pay that kind of price to kindle copies, after prob getting the kindle as a gift?

It's kinda of like cable, my provider is going to be in for a shock -- and lose the $80/ month fees -- when just after christmas I look for and find an internet tv gadget...that has NO monthly fee... same here, why pay close to $60 for the poor kindle copy (one file, not contents table) when you can put hyour name on a library listing, or buy second hand paperback copies instead -- or borrow from a friend... a young writer friend has dibs on the nect read of my set!

Shamp on Penguin, shame!

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 6:26:54 AM PST
D. Warner says:
I've had this conversation with alot ofpeople, its amazing that an e book cost even the same as a printed version. You don't pay for the paper, printing in mass, bindings, or illustration shown on the covers. REALLY????????

Posted on Jan 13, 2011 7:21:41 AM PST
Kindler says:
Si, the pricing is ridiculous when compared to the paperback/physical box set. It should at LEAST be the same price, or LOWER priced as a kindle edition. This is the reason I am not buying this series, despite the good reviews about it. They would definitely get more sales if the price was lowered.

Posted on Jan 15, 2011 11:58:58 PM PST
What I don't unnderstand is that fact that the ebook should be a lot cheaper and easier for publishers to produce. Isn't it already in an electronic format prior to sending it to print? How can they justify an outrageous price like that? Its insane, there truly should be some kind of regulation for such a ridiculous notion as a $60 ebook bundle!

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 5:40:41 PM PST
Based on the Penguin pricing, I am sooo over buying any new Sookie Stackhouse books, or any book where the Kindle price is more than the paperback, from anywhere but the secondhand bookstore (Half Price Books rules!). When I finish the True Blood books, I will then lend it to my friends who read the series. By my count, about four of us will be able to enjoy the discounted hardback.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  33
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Jun 5, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sookie Stackhouse 8-copy Boxed Set (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire)
Sookie Stackhouse 8-copy Boxed Set (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire) by Charlaine Harris (Mass Market Paperback - September 29, 2009)
4.5 out of 5 stars (858)