Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Outdoor Deals on HTL

on October 12, 2012
I read lots of reviews and understood that the generic batteries are somewhat of a gamble. I was skeptical at first, but the battery fitted very well and looks almost as white as the macbook (who cares about colour anyway). Even without calibrating the battery it had 74% when it first arrived. After calibrating, it charged nicely to 100%. The way I see it, for $25 you can buy 3 or 4 batteries and it would still not come close to the price of the original Apple battery. To minimize risk I ordered from fulfillment by Amazon. Of course, I will keep updating the review depending on the performance of the battery overtime. On a side note, my macbook worked great for 4.5 years so no complaints. I believe my girlfriend ruined the battery as I have an identical macbook that is still running great with the original battery. To sum it up, give it a try.

08/2013 - Update one year later: no issues, still works nicely. Exceeds expectations. It appears to me that since currently so many vendors sell this generic battery, it is impossible to determine if you will get the same battery that I did.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2012
The original-equipment battery in my 3-plus-year-old MacBook started swelling visibly about 3 months ago, as it approached the 300-cycle mark. In my case one of the outer-edge corners of the battery module is protruding a full 1/4'' (6-7mm) due to this, though the battery otherwise seems fine, it is still charging and discharging in normal manner. After researching the problem online, it seems that 300-400 cycles is the expected service life of these kinds of batteries, and the swelling is a common visible indicator of such end-of-life approaching. My system was never under AppleCare, and I don`t know if Apple makes exceptions to their 3-year AppleCare extended warranty for this issue - have seen conflicting reports about that - but I called AppleCare anyway to inquire whether there is a safety issue related to the swollen packaging. The mention of the magic word "safety" got my call escalated quickly to a supervisor level, whho was very helpful. After I gave her the basic data for my system (age and cycle count, mainly) she assured me there are no corrosive liquids inside these batteries so there should be no safety issue, although she urged me to stop using the battery and get it replaced ASAP (she even requested that I unplug the system while we were on the call to stop the charging process, apparently a legal-liability precaution.)

So looked around on, and eventually decided to buy this brand, best reviews (by a small amount) of the 3 similarly-priced (I paid US$25) 3rd-party-made replacements. I also saw they sell "certified used" OEM batteries for a similar price, but since you won`t know how many cycles are on those until you take delivery and insert into your system, the pig-in-a-poke aspect dissuaded me, as did the fact that the used-OEM battery did not offer a Free Shipping option, whereas the 3rd-party=manufactured new batteries did.

The battery arrived quickly (4 days, not bad for Free Super Saver shipping) and after reading the small-printed but-clearly written instruction leaflet I went to install it. Like other reviewers I found it to be not an ideal fit; mine was a smidge too long. After carefully seating the outer edge, I slowly applied firm palm pressure on the locking-tab end, and the unit slowly slid into place, ending up perfectly flush in my case. So far, so good. On power-up (I tried with the unit disconnected from the charging cable, to see if the battery came precharged as they are supposed to to prevent full discharge, which is catastrophic for Li ion batteries), the indicator showed 60%, so I put it into drawdown mode by firing up a CPU-heavy application and letting that run. It took about 90 minutes to deplete the partial charge. That is similar to what my OEM battery provides starting with the same charge level. At this point it was around 11pm, so I hooked the system up to the charging cable, powered it up, which showed the expected "charging" on the battery widget and the LED on the charging cable lit solid orange, again as expected. At that point it was late, so I went to bed.

The next morning came the unpleasant surprise: Even after 10 full hours of (alleged) charging, the LED on the charging cable was still orange rather than the hoped-for green, and after logging it I saw the battery indicator showing a dismal "18%". I needed to be mobile at that point, so I closed the lid and took the system with me, but as a precaution I also put the warped-but-working OEM battery, which was about 50% charged at the time I swapped in the new one the previous evening, into the plastic antistatic bag the new one came in and took it with me as well. That came in handy, because indeed the partial charge on the new battery provided just over an hour of use, with nothing power-heavy running, just the WiFi, as I was checking e-mail and doing online stuff.

This battery clearly can be charged to a greater level, as my initial-drawdown shows, but if the recharge rate I observed overnight holds true, that means over 48 hours for a full recharge, which is more than 10x longer than the OEM battery needs, and is simply unacceptable. It`s possible I got a "bad apple", but surely these must get tested for charge-takeup prior to leaving the factory, so no clue as to whether this maker`s batteries are all this way, and I`m not taking any more chances. I just ordered 1 each of the other 2 of the 3 similar batteries I`d flagged in my research:

As it happens I tried #3 first, and it was DOA. But #2 fit and works perfectly. Long story short: These are very hit-or-miss, so be prepared to order more than one until you find one that works. I'm just glad my replacement need was non-emergency, otherwise it would have been a very aggravating process.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2014
This battery basically blew up inside my laptop after 2 months. I bought 2, and the other one is still working in another laptop.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2013
While it's really difficult to write a review for a laptop battery (it either works or it doesn't) I will try to point out what you are getting into with this third party replacement battery.

First, this is obviously not an Apple battery. If you're worried about people seeing you with a slightly different battery than the stock one, then please spend the extra $100 on what amounts to a cosmetic issue.

The battery came packaged well (mine was the Technorbits brand shipped by Amazon) and after figuring out how to properly fit the battery in, I was back in action. Apple recommends that you first drain the battery completely until the laptop shuts off and then charge it to a full charge again. While running through this first draining OSX (Snow Leopard) wasn't really quite sure on the time remaining on the charge. When it got down to 25 minutes remaining, the laptop abruptly shut itself off. I plugged in the charger and let it go until the power light changed from amber to green and since then, it's been working like a charm.

The Coconut Battery utility shows the battery with a total capacity of 5244mAh and so far it's working just like a stock battery. I'm not finding it to be any warmer than I remember the old battery (perhaps even a little cooler) so I'm going to call it a winner. My previous battery lasted around 775 cycles (Apple said 300 was all the battery was rated for) and this one is now on its sixth cycle so it will be interesting to see what happens when this battery reaches that life (if I'm still using the laptop then) but I'm optimistic based on the price that even it it only lasts the 300 cycles, I should be able to get another at this low price.
on September 6, 2013
After reading wildly positive and wildly negative reviews, I took a chance. I'm perfectly satisfied with the battery. It works just fine. I'm thrilled to have saved so much money.
on October 23, 2010
After ordering thru Amazon, I received this battery from Brilliant Store less than two weeks ago. Following the instructions for charging, depleting and recharging numerous times, this battery will not hold a charge. Overnight it went from 90% to 0% with the Macbook powered off. No word yet from the seller on returning the battery. Save yourself the headache and do not buy this battery.Apple White MacBook 13 Inch, MacBook Pro 13 Inch, A1185, MA561, MA566 Series Battery (10.8V, 5600mAh, Li-Ion)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2012
I took a chance with this battery and it works well for me. It definitely was a snug fit. Lasts about 3 1/2 to 4 hours when doing light work. If watching movies or video it lasts about 2-2 1/2 hours. Does not seem to last as long as the OEM that came with the computer, but a great product for the price.
on November 5, 2012
If I could rate this a zero, I definitely would. Lesson learned. In the world of after market batteries, in my experience, this one is a fail, . When I put this battery in and tried to lock in place, the locking mechanism jammed on my macbook. After using two mini screwdrivers to free the mechanism, I tried again to re-seat this battery, but it just didn't feel like it was right. But, it locked in place. I let it drain down to total death, plugged my macbook in and waited. It says it could take 14 hours to charge. I gave it 24. After 24 hours, I powered up and this battery was a dud. It hadn't charged at all. My macbook would only power on while plugged in. AND the tracpad on my macbook would not work at all! It felt as if the battery was pushing up against the back side and rendered it completely useless. I would say this battery was a total loss in my macbook 13". When I put my apple brand back in, everything worked just as it did before I put this piece of garbage battery in there. I read so many reviews before deciding it couldn't hurt to try this product. My experience was less than impressive, in fact, it made me downright manic when I discovered my tracpad wasn't working. I thought it was the macbook suddenly going bananas. Nope. The battery was a waste of my time. Returned for a refund. Not taking my chances on another. I'll pay full price and buy what I know to be tried and true.
on December 27, 2013
This battery fit PERFECTLY into a mid 2007 Macbook. Yes the shade of white was slightly different but who cares. Makes no sense to buy Apple at $100+ for use in a laptop that you can buy on eBay for $250. First I changed the power settings to never shut down or dim the display or stop the hard drive while on battery. This is so the computer would discharge a full battery quickly. I then installed the new battery and charged it up to 100% which took about an hour (it came from the factory charged to 60%). I then unplugged the charger and left the computer on (full brightness and screen saver working hard until the laptop shut itself down. I then left it shut down for about five more hours as MacBooks shut themselves down early leaving some battery power which you will want to dissipate. I then charged it back up to 100% and did the whole process a second time. Once charged back to 100%, I changed the battery energy settings back to normal and started using the computer as normal. I get about three hours of heavy usage (watching a DVD) and more like 5 hours of normal usage when running on just the battery. I am very satisfied with this purchase.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2014
Right out of the box the laptop read battery as status: Service Battery and it only lasts about 2hrs on low brightness. Battery is basically completely useless! Buy a real battery, you'll thank me after