2,300 Reviews
 (1,646)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great device!!!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 8:58 Mins
Published on December 21, 2011 by E Heiden

Published on June 12, 2012 by Soothing River

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great device!!!, December 21, 2011
This review is from: Anker® Astro 5600mAh Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank for Smartphones and Tablets including iPhone 6 / 5, Galaxy S5 / S4, HTC One (M8) and Many More (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Length:: 8:58 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars 5600mAh?? More like 2300mAh. (READ THE UPDATE AS WELL), March 7, 2012
Abba fan (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I've done an extensive research on this product before buying it. I've also read many feedbacks here.

I purchased this item along with Anker's 1700 mAh battery for Droid Incredible.
Now, if you do simple math and consider this product to fully supply 5600 mAh to your battery you will see that I'm suppose to be able to fully charge my phone 3 times with this charger; 1700+1700+1700=5100 and the charger is still suppose to have 500 mAh left. That's after I fully charge the charger using the AC power adapter.
However, when my phone has a few percents of battery left and I connect this charger to it, it takes the charger 2 and at times 3 (out of 4) blue lights to charge up my phone. Be advised that before I do so I fully charge the charger using the power adapter supplied and while it's charging my phone I'm NOT using my phone.
When my phone discharges almost completely and it's time to charge it up again, the charger wouldn't provide the full charge because it has only 1-2 blue lights left after the previous charge. It doesn't make sense. How come simple math doesn't apply here? The charger can't even provide 2 full charging cycles. However, it take about 5-6 hours to fully charge it up. I don't understand this.
Besides, the charger came with no instructions. I mean, you don't have to have a PhD to figure out how it works, but at least some hints on how this device is suppose to work properly would've been appreciated.

By the time of writing this I have fully discharged the charger twice thinking that maybe it should take a few full (dis)charging cycles in order for it to perform at its advertised (5600mAh) level just like with many phone batteries but again there were no instructions with it so I don't know. Puzzled and disappointed. If someone could give me some hints I'd be greatly appreciative.

UPDATE, APRIL 13. HTC REZOUND with 1620 mAh battery.

Initially I gave this product 2 stars. I am adding 1 star for the exceptional service of the seller. They offered me a new replacement and I received it in 2-3 days after they got the bad unit from me.
I am adding another star for the usefulness of the product. If it's fully charged (or even if not, as long as it's calibrated!), it can really save you if you're away from the wall charger.
I'm adding the fifth star because the replacement unit works as explained to me in the comment to my original review. I wasn't aware of the 30% attrition power thing and therefore I didn't know that in reality this backup battery wouldn't provide 3 full charging cycles to my phone battery. However, I still stand behind what I wrote Laptopmate in my email that when people read the product description and see "5600 mAh" hardly anyone would consider that the attrition power factor here would decrease the actual charging capabilities of this battery. Naturally, people would do a simple calculation and assume that a 1700 mAh battery would be charged 3 times with this external battery. Hopefully, people would read everything that I wrote here so that they are not misled.
As for Laptopmate, I am still strongly suggesting you to mention the attrition power nuance in your description wherever you're selling your backup batteries at from now on. Don't expect that people would be aware of this technical detail. You will save yourselves a lot of time from having to explain the same thing to each dissatisfied customer (and maybe you'll have less returns that way too!).

Other than that, 5 stars.
Also, if Laptopmate doesn't mind, I decided to copy-paste their response to another "dissatisfied" customer as it clearly explains the 30% attrition factor.

"Sorry to hear that this external battery does not satisfy you. The input from AC or laptop to external batteries is 5v, while the output from external batteries to phones is 5.3v. Boosting from 5v to 5.3v and the external battery itself consumes power (about 30%). Therefore, the actual power that can be used to charge other devices is 70% (5600x70%=3920mah). So, this external battery is supposed to be able to charge a 1700mah battery for two times and a little more."

P.S. Don't forget to fully calibrate the external battery! Discharge it completely and charge it up to the fullest. Repeat this step 4-5 times and only then you'll see the usefulness of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb powerpack, February 22, 2012
B. W. Sheier (Monroe Township NJ) - See all my reviews
I live on my Droid X2 phone. Charge it overnight and keep it on charger in the car and, when I remember, around the house (I am retired, so no workplace to charge it at).

Constant use for phone, text, email and internet - - the Droid doesn't last long when not on the charger despite power saving apps. So, I have taken to carrying a rechargeable battery pack.

My first one was a Radio Shack Enercell. It was a weak contender. Fully charged, it could only raise the phone battery 20% (e.g., 50% to 70%). I lived with it, until it died after 8 months (I will have to take that up with Radio Shack, later).

Today, I received this unit - - ordered after I read the positive reviews.
It came well charged, three out of four bars. I charged it for three hours, until all four bars lit solid and plugged it into my Droid which was at 40%. An hour or so later, the Droid was fully charged and, yet, the Anker still showed its four bars. Of course, I knew that it must have used some power to resuscitate the Droid.

However, I immediately plugged it in to my wife's LG Cosmo which was down to its three out of four bars and was due for a charging. To make this second event even more challenging, I turned on the flashlight function while the phone was charging.
Then, I began writing this review.

While the phone continues to charge, let me tell you a bit about the included cables and adapters. There are two cables, a 6 inch and a 24 inch (measurements are nominal) and seven adapters. The adapters include the male micro that is needed to charge the Anker and, coincidently, the Droid X2. The other adapters would be useful in charging a plethora of devices. I recognized a male mini adapter, an older Motorola adapter, the adapter that fits my Garmin, a circular input adapter plus others that I did not recognize.

The cables and adapters are all white and I assume this is a marketing strategy to match some of the intended devices' original wires. Weird, as the device itself is an attractive shiny Black. I would prefer black cables and adapters, but that does not detract from the unit.

I already entered an Amazon order for black cables that do not require adapters. I selected both 6 inch and 12 inch lengths, which I feel are optimal for my intended mode of use. I already have numerous examples of any other length(s) I might need on a frequent basis.

The supplied cables and adapters, however, will be kept close at hand for those inevitable occasions when family,friends or strangers need an electronic boost for devices other than those using the micro connection. I think I will be the hero quite often! Maybe, at some point in time, I will need them for an oddball device of my own (but, not for my Kindle as it uses the same micro connector).

Just under an hour since I started charging the LG (with the flashlight consuming power, as well) and two things happened virtually at the same time:

The LG showed fully charged
The Anker display dropped to only three bars

The flashlight remained bright throughout.

I am thrilled with this initial performance. Extrapolating from these results, I estimate that I could get AT LEAST two complete charges for my Droid (as a retired teacher of mathematics, I love making these sorts of imputed calculations) which would last me 24+ hours of use between tethered charges (in the real world) that would be at least two days assuming the phone was not used in any way while I sleep.

Alternatively, I could use the phone normally and as a night clock for a day and a half on a camping trip or during a power failure.

Physically, the unit is compact and not unattractive (not that I care). It seems well built and seems durable.

Its only shortcomings, as far as I can see is the horrible insert that serves as an instruction sheet. Good thing that its use is intuitively obvious and relatively trivial (old math explanation for something that you don't want to explain in a proof).

Also,there are two variations of this unit on the market with different capacities and designs. You should investigate all of them and pick the one that seems to meet your projected needs.

Five Stars and worth them!!!

AFTER THREE MONTHS:

WOW! Continues to amaze, I am never without power. What more can I say?

Had a technical question and customer service provided, not only an answer, but great support.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bricks itself, non-responsive. Only way to reset is to charge. Useless in the middle of nowhere., June 12, 2012
Soothing River (Tequila & Mariachi Wonderland) - See all my reviews
I bought this to take on a camping trip. It arrived 2 days before I left. I fully charged it and then charged all my phones and bluetooth headsets with it to at least fully cycle the battery once to increase its charge capacity. It worked flawlessly I was pretty amazed at how much charge it could hold. I fully charged it and packed it in my bag. The next day I used my phone until battery was around 10% late at night at the camp site. I took out the Astro fully charged. I connected the charger first and then pressed the button. It started to charge like it should. My phone must have gone to like 35% battery and then the charger just stopped working. Like if it had been bricked. No response. No lights would come on, nothing. I pressed the button for 5 seconds, which is the way to turn it off, and nothing. The only way I got it to work was to connect it to a friend's laptop for 2 seconds. And BAM! it sprung back to life! all lights turned on again showing that it was still almost full!.... and then after charging my phone again for a little while.. It stopped working AGAIN! This thing just bricks itself spontaneously. Rendered useless unless you have some other way of charging it at least for a second to bring it back to life.. so DON'T depend on this!!!

I might have a deffective unit... but still.. BUYER BEWARE before buying. It's one of those things that works sometimes and then doesn't work other times. After returning home I tried to reproduce the error.. I cannot do it. I pressed the button madly, connected it and disconnected it.. say, the kind of abuse it wouldl receive on a bumpy ride.. and nothing. Then, out of the blue.. It stops working.. as it is just laying on my desk! Therefore It can't be anything I did to it. It just STOPS WORKING and becomes a brick when it wants to. Rendering it a piece of junk to carry around!

TL;DR : Holds great charge, Works ok when it wants. Stops working by itself at any point of charge and becomes unsuable unless you connect it to charge it for at least a second. Error I could not reproduce by banging it around, quickly connecting and disconnecting or rapidly pressing on the button. Does not depend on the way you use it. It just bricks itself at any point when you charge your phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANKER ASTRO 5.6Ah EXT. BATT. PACK, December 13, 2012
Very Well made. I like the compact sleek design, easy to carry and store! Comes with Nice carrying pouch! Great item for the price! I also bought the Anker Astro 3 10Ah external battery pack for Nexus 7, etc. Great stuff! I will recommend to all my friends to by this brand, ANKER!

Just a reminder, make sure to discharge the unit fully when you receive the item (it's charged to about 3/4 capacity). Hook it up to your iPhone, etc. and drain it. Then, give it a good overnight charge. It will charge all the way to "FULL".

With all Lithium-ion cell type rechargeable batteries, I have noticed that it is VERY important to "Discharge" the unit when you first receive it, Otherwise most of the units wil not take a "Full Charge" on the first try. So remember if you plug the unit in to charge and it's still blinking the next day, you need to do the following procedure upon opening the item.

Aloha and Good Charging!

UPDATE: I used the ASTRO 5.6Ah to charge my andriod phone twice PLUS I was able to charge my Nexus 7 (75% battery left) twice!!! And there is still 3 LED lit on the ASTRO 5.6Ah battery back-up unit. Impresive! Amazing capacity!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable., August 28, 2012
Very inconsistent. Sometimes it charges my iPad to full charge with no problem. More often than not, it stops working after a few minutes. I'll return to find that the iPad doesn't recognize that it's plugged in anymore. Pressing the button on the Anker reestablishes the connection.

UPDATE September 19th, 2012.
To their credit, Anker reached out to me and was very proactive in trying to resolve my problem. They quickly shipped out a replacement - without waiting for the defective unit to be returned. Unfortunately, the replacement also didn't work correctly. Difficulty reaching a full charge and connection problems with iPad and iPhone. Anker has agreed to refund the cost of the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome battery, October 5, 2011
While the Anker battery may not be the most powerful battery in existence, it has plenty enough power for my hungry Galaxy S2. The battery is nice and small and very portable. It's so easy to carry that I always have it with me. Its weight isn't enough to become an issue either. It fits nicely in my pants, hoodie or jacket pockets without causing any discomfort due to its rounded edges. It is the perfect balance of physical size and power. Cool that it has a led light too, but whatever. The only possible way to make this product better is to make it double as a small bluetooth control pad as well for playing games on my phone (like a simple NES controller). If Anker made such a device I would easily pay $100 for it.

1.0 out of 5 stars DEAD AFTER A MONTH OF CASUAL USE, January 3, 2013
This product amazed me for the first month and it was up to all my expectations. After a few charges and discharges (not more than 15 each) the product just died. It turns on the light but it doesn't charge my iphone anymore.
WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME. I'm travelling tomorrow outside of U.S and I have to look for something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mighty Mouse Charger, September 26, 2011
I never used it to charge my phone from 35% yet. I have been using it at work around lunch time when the battery level drops to 84%. I am using this portable charger with my Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Samsung Galaxy S II). I call it "The Mighty Mouse Charger" because it is small, very portable but it is powerful at 5600mAH. The price is nice. I showed it to people they thought it cost more than the $49 I paid for it.

This portable charger charges at the same rate as the AC charger that comes with the phone. I can take this charger everywhere I go, it can be placed in a pants pocket with a lot of room to spare. The Samsung Epic 4G Touch has a battery life of 12 to 13 for medium use. I am a heavy user, I use the internet, Netflix, play games/music. Netflix alone can drain your phone battery pretty fast if you watch a more for one hour. I am still testing it out. You have to charge it for four to five hours the first time you get it. After that it should last 3 to 4 days before you have to charge it again.

This Anker Power Bank charger really comes in handy. I highly recommend it. Oh I had the New Trent iCruiser IMP1000 11000mAh External Battery Pack. It is 11,00mAh but it was too bulky too carry around without a backpack. I use to carry it in a hard drive case that had a belt loop. I sold it and got this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars good with 1 annoying quirk!, July 2, 2013
The battery life is good, only thing I really don't like compared to my old external battery (an APC UPB 10 - now discontinued) is that Anker uses this very unusual shaped USB port for charging connection, so you can only use their cable. It looks like a normal usb port except longer. That is annoying, because instead of being able to charge from any of my usb cords stationed in various locations (2 cars, laptop bag, home, office, etc) I now have to carry around this one special Anker cord. Eventually it will break or get lost, then I'll probably have to buy a new overpriced cord from Anker instead of just using one of the 6-8 usb cords i have floating around. The APC battery pack was more flexible - it had a large & small type USB port, either one could be used for charging or discharging, whereas on this battery the USB port is for discharge only, and the weird shaped port is for charging only.