- Series: 60 Hikes within 60 Miles
- Paperback: 256 pages
- Publisher: Menasha Ridge Press; First Edition, First Printing edition (May 1, 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0897329562
- ISBN-13: 978-0897329569
- Product Dimensions: 8.8 x 6.3 x 0.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 7.2 ounces
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (50 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #671,259 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Salt Lake City: Including Ogden, Provo, and the Uintas Paperback – May 1, 2008
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
Most guide books give you just the facts--where and how far. "60 Hikes..." gives you much more: age-appropriateness, difficulty, wildlife, geology, and even history. It's clear that Witt not only knows what he's talking about, he loves it. This enthusiasm is contagious, making you want to jump out of your armchair and explore.
Although we might not make all 60 hikes, we know we'll love the ones we do.
I highly recommend it.
Finally! A hiking book that makes sense! All the hikes are within 6o minutes of Salt Lake City, and there's not a lame hike in the bunch. While we haven't done all the hikes (so many trails...so little time), just reading about them made our whole family excited to hit the road with book in hand.
This well-written guide is dripping with details and peppered generously with fantastic photos. Each hike has "key information at-a-glance" (which includes about 15 items that give you a feel for the hike) and a great section at the end of each chapter of "nearby activities".
If you know someone who is planning a trip to Salt Lake (or if they're lucky enough to live there) you've gotta get this book--it's the new "eleventh essential".
Wanting to get fit and lose a lot of weight, we bought this book at Costco and made a goal to complete every hike in the book (with a few substitutions or partials - I hate scrambling on rocks). We've done 37 of them so far. You can view our progress at: [...]
There are two places the book could be improved:
1. What Greg Witt considers an 'easy' hike will not be considered easy by first-time hikers. He is a professional hiker; keep that in mind when selecting your hikes and pay close attention to the elevation gains. The elevation gains are much more telling (along with the elevation graph given for each hike) of just how hard that hike really is.
2. Better maps of some of the trails would be appreciated. Sometimes I'm trying to make sense of where we are on the trail by how many turns or switchbacks we've made and the map just doesn't seem to line up to what we're experiencing. Also, topographics would be appreciated.
Still, I give this book an overwhelming 5 stars . . . it is the best I've seen for northern Utah, period.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Lots of good hikes. Been on a few already. I definitely recommend it.Published 6 days ago by Wendell H.
Excellent book.. Very detailed descriptions of the hike. How to get to the starting point of the hike very detailed. Read morePublished 20 days ago by Amazon Customer
I bought this for my sister who loves to hike. She has used it and says she loves it.Published 27 days ago by orangesumr
Best hiking book I have ever used. Thank you Greg Witt for helping us select the right intensity (easy) hike and most of all clearly describing the location of the trailhead.Published 4 months ago by Ann Eisen
I bought this book a few months ago and have been on several hikes since then. The "Key At-A-Glance Information" is quite helpful. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Long-time Mom
We love this book! We have been choosing hikes from it since 2012 and still use it every summer to plan hikes for our young family. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Lisa
Used this book extensively on a recent trip to SLC and the area. We live in flat Florida at sea level so some of the trails described as easy were more moderate for us active... Read morePublished 4 months ago by Lauren Kennedy
Maybe things were different when it was originally published but there are some small inconsistencies with hike descriptions/reviews and real life. Read morePublished 6 months ago by April W.
Great book! Definitely a key way to explore the Wasatch, and Greg Witt does a great job describing all of the top hikes. Thanks!Published 8 months ago by Andy L