Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2007 4:57:40 PM PST
TundraVision says:
Tonight on 60 Minutes, Leslie Stahl wandered around interviewing people and ordering a Subway sandwich pursuant to the proposed CALORIE (not carb) labelling system, thus perpetuationg the low fat/low cal/high carb myth :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 8:40:54 AM PST
E. Fox says:
I saw that too. I kept yelling at the TV... "It's not the calories, it's the bread... it's the bread, take out the bread!" LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2008 7:13:59 PM PST
Slade Simon says:
Subway doesn't even offer the low-carb wraps anymore - at least in Phoenix. I had to check the nutrition info on their web site before I figured out that mistake I was making. (I still lost weight though. I wasn't going there that often.) The Arby wraps aren't low-carb anymore either. Cousins (at least one Scottsdale location) is the only place with low-carb wraps that I know of. I also make my own from the different brands of low-carb tortillas available. ...for everything else it's just "no bun," "low carb," or "protein style" - depending on the fast food place. 17 lbs lost since Nov 28.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2008 6:23:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2008 2:48:12 PM PDT
Slade Simon says:
Just tried KFC today (Original Recipe Leg has 2g carbs, breast with no skin or breading - 1g). KFC has a little pamphlet that spread more of the bad info than anything I've seen anyplace else so far. Inside "ENERGY IN = ENERGY OUT" - the most glaring mistake covered in Taubes' book. They have a little list of some of the things you can do to release the energy you've eaten. On the back, they have "Eat a variety of foods," "Eat more vegetables, grains, and fruit," and "Get enough activity to burn what you eat." Then they give a link to the government food pyramid. This just spread more of the bad information like the 60 Minutes episode.

Anyone who has read the book will understand why this is annoying. Even though I've found a new place where I can get some low-carb options, I'm tempted to never go back. I'll stick to my Jack in the Box whenever possible. For anyone who has not read the book yet (or reached the chapter about it), I should add that my weight loss is from limiting carbs, unlimited calories, no exercise involved.

I should point out that many fast food restaurants do give you choices to make something low-carb, but it seems only Jack in the Box is giving you complete information on your custom choices on their web site. With everyplace else, you simply know removing the bun will make it better. However, not all cheeses are the same - even when you compare the same type of cheese from different brands. Some of the veggies may have a couple of carbs. It all adds up as things are added on. It helps to know what you're really getting.

Posted on Jul 20, 2009 8:25:19 AM PDT
C. A. Willis says:
I think part of this discussion depends on what extent you want to cut out carbs/refined carbs. I mean, it's one thing if you're doing Atkins, or trying to lose a lot of weight, or have blood sugar issues, etc. It's another thing if you just want to be mindful of carbs and eat a reasonable medium-to-smallish amount and make sure you don't eat a lot. After reading Taubes' book, this is the direction I wanted to pursue.
For example, if I ordered a hamburger or double burger and eat it, with the bread, I'm still doing okay if I don't eat the fries and just drink unsweet tea or water! I haven't drunk soda for 10 years, mostly just water, so this is no big deal or change for me in the drink department. I mean, a soda and fries is a large part of the carb kick in a combo meal! That's a big improvement, in and of itself. (Keeping in mind I rarely eat fast food). I can completely enjoy the taste of a regular burger, without shooting myself in the foot by tossing in those unnecessary extras. Example: Whopper Jr has 31g, regular Whopper has 51g alone, whereas adding fries and a soda can add 80-120g. What about if I'm REALLY HUNGRY? I probably won't be after a double Whopper with only 1 bun...
I'm just saying I think 30-50g of carbs is reasonable in a meal that could easily have been 120-200g of carbs, OR MORE!
So let's say I do eat a regular tortilla wrap somewhere... what is that, 15-25g carbs? Not necessary, not adding anything healthy to my diet, but if that's the extent of the damage I am still doing great. In other words, when I'm eating out, I focus more on the side items and the drink. I like fries but now I prioritize. If they aren't amazing fries, I don't even miss them. If they are amazing, for example freshly-sliced potatoes with the peel still on, fried in peanut oil and still hot, then yeah, I will probably eat some, but that is not very often. But even there I will usually split an order with someone else. They're best when hot, it's fun to share, you get the gratification of finishing them off, and you save a little money.
At home, my carbs are mostly ezekiel bread, quinoa and brown rice, with a hearty serving of fat, and of course lots of vegetables along with my meat. This is the healthy balance to me, I'm not OD-ing on carbs, but not excluding them or freaking out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 20, 2009

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health
Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health by Gary Taubes (Paperback - September 23, 2008)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (597)