Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on February 22, 2011
This is a fantastic light bulb and anyone who is looking for an energy efficient LED bulb that throws light in all different directions this is the bulb for you. The only problem I'm having with Amazon right now is that I just walked into Lowe's Home Improvement Center yesterday and saw these same bulbs for $34.98, significantly less than what they are listed for on here. I've purchased 4 of these bulbs for a light fixture in my bathroom and would have saved a significant amount of money had I purchased these at Lowe's. Save some money and buy from Lowe's if you have one near you.
1717 comments79 of 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2011
I remember having incandescent bulbs. They produced as much heat as they did light.

CFLs greatly reduced the amount of energy used along with the heat. They sacrificed a bit on the light output but I got used to them.

After about 7 years, my CFLs are finally starting to go out. LED bulbs have been showing up on the market over the last few years but they always seemed dim and directional which doesn't work well in normal household lighting situations. When I saw this bulb and the reviews of it I decided to give it a shot with hopes of slowly replacing the CFLs with LED bulbs.

This bulb gives off light in the same pattern that a normal 60W lightbulb does. I think some people rate it as being about the equivalent of a 40W incandescent but I've grown so used to the CFLs that I compare it with those. In that comparison this 9W bulb is about the equivalent of a 13W CFL. You're shaving about 30% off the energy used and getting a bulb that'll last 25,000hrs which is 2.85 years of constant use (that'll take you to the 70% light output territory). Under normal circumstances you're not going to be running this light 24/7 so you may very well get decades out of it. Not a bad deal.

I'd say that I like the light output better than the CFLs but I'd also add the disclaimer that I'm comparing it with my older CFLs and their light output degrades over time.

This bulb, according to my infrared thermometer, runs at around 115°F so it's slightly warm to the touch. When I checked the CFLs they were around 145°F, warm to the touch, so the LED bulbs generate less heat which means that in the Summer you're also spending less by not having to pump that heat outside via your A/C. Regular incandescent bulbs would, of course, burn you.

I'd rate them 5-stars except for the price. As more people adopt them and replace their CFLs with bulbs like these the price will come down. This is a very good LED bulb.
33 comments20 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2011
EDIT: see my update after 3 years of use at the bottom.
Like everyone I googled around for investigating different new technology bulbs, and this one came up a winner.

After receiving it, I can say compared to a 60 watt incandescent bulb:
1 it is the same shape exactly (also most 40 watt incand. bulbs are exactly same shape).
2 throws the same pattern too.
3 runs cooler than incandescent
4 same color of light
---------------------------
I read issues with Sylvania's are said to throw different colors of white, some yellowish white, some are a nice white, and all of them throw light in mainly one direction only. This bulb has none of those faults of other LED bulbs.
---------------------
curly CFL bulbs:
hot: heat rises so CFL's work better when bulb is pointing up so the heat does not rise to the base where the electronic circuits are. A CFL on the ceiling pointing down makes the heat rise to the base and destroy the bulb over time.
CFL's lose half their life span is turned on and off a lot. No LED loses life span when cycled frequently.
CFL's disintegrate with loud pop and fry sizzle when they burn out, is this dangerous or safe, I don't know?
CFL's do not work as well in cooler temperatures, not good for outdoors, or for at night.
---------------

I think this bulb is a winner in everything except price.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE
: My original post (over 3 years ago) was when this bulb costs over $45, now it is under $25 !
We have run this bulb for 24 hours a day 7 days a week, still going strong.
A perfect example of G.E. quality!
1111 comments24 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2012
I am using this in a desk lamp and it works very well.

Pros:
-Instant on
-Uniform Lighting
-Cool/soft (great to work by)
-Less yellow/more blue, feels natural

Cons:
-Cost (of course, but certainly will pay for itself, come down in price over time, but still worth it)
-Brightness (450 Lumens, if using in a fixture in a room that requires a lot of light, should have more than one)
Put them in our large walk in pantry and they are brighter than the 40 watt incandescent bulbs we had in there. Replaced the 13 40 watt CFLs in the shop kitchen and they are much brighter and come on instantly.

Replaced the bulbs in my grandson's bedside lamps and the five in his bathroom but for different reasons. I needed the ones beside his bed to be unbreakable (and these are less breakable than non-led alternatives). I also wanted it to be less of an issue when he leaves them on (which he will) because they use significantly less power.

I think the price is high but Consumer Reports said they'll pay for themselves in 8 years. Incidentally, this was the only 40 watt led they recommended.

LED is definitely the way to go. Also look at the LED bug lights (not very yellow but a nice bright light) and the soft blue LED night lights.

A year later: My power bill was 50% lower this in June than it was for June of last year. Granted we had a cooler spring and I've replaced some older appliances. I believe, however, that replacing all those incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs helped. And it's nice to not have to be regularly replacing light bulbs.
on June 21, 2011
I've been going a little LED crazy lately and have been trying all different brands, types & wattages of LED bulbs. With all the positive comments, I bought 4 of these at Lowes after reading Amazon reviews about how they're cheaper there (which is surprisingly true).

So far ok, the bulb is decent but is certainly no better or brighter than the Feit 7.5W sold on Amazon for $22. In fact, the GE gets significantly hotter than the Feit, making me skeptical that it really consumes only 9 watts. I won't be buying anymore of these.

These LED's are evolving rapidly. Hopefully brighter, more efficient and cheaper bulbs are on their way soon.
1313 comments45 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2011
Within ten days of owning my first home I have gone LED light bulb crazy! Over twenty bulbs have been converted thus far, with many more to be replaced as soon as I can afford it. Yeah, this house has a LOT of lights! Anyway, it seems for every LED bulb I liked, there have been just as many that I hated. Some made a barely audible humming sound (Home Depot's EcoSmart A19 LED bulb), some had annoying flicker issues (Sylvania's Candelabra LED bulb), and others had very ugly light color temperatures (Phillips DecoLED Candelabra bulb).

GE's 9-Watt soft white A19 replacement LED is plenty bright (possibly brighter than some 40-Watt incandescent bulbs), and distributes its light more evenly than other LED options I've tried with the exception of Phillip's Ambient LED (The ugly one with three yellow caps). But unlike the Phillips LED, GE's bulb casts a soft, pure white light. Neither warm nor cool. The Phillips Ambient LED bulb puts out a very warm color temperature. To me, the color temperature of the GE is just like a typical 40-Watt incandescent bulb and that's exactly what I want.

Consumer LED light bulbs are still a relatively new technology. Because of this, we early adopter "guinea pigs" get to pay much higher prices and experience some real half-baked products. But don't you worry! This stuff is always improving, and prices keep dropping as more of them are mass produced. In fact, the day in which I was writing this review, I had been at Home Depot earlier and noticed some nice price drops on several of their LED bulbs. Still, you can't really go wrong with the GE LED bulb if you don't mind the current premium price.

Now, some people are going to say you should buy Compact Florescence bulbs because they're cheaper than LED, have similar power consumptions, and last a long time also. I say DON'T DO IT! CFLs are not environmentally responsible due to their mercury content. They also (In my personal experience) don't last nearly as long as their advertised life expectancy. Almost half of the CFLs I've purchased in the past four years have failed a premature death. CFL bulbs only last if they don't get switched on and off very often. Oh, and don't forget the warm up time they require to reach full brightness. LED bulbs are instant on! CFLs=Sucky, overhyped junk. They aren't worth it. Buy the GE LED bulb and you'll be a very happy consumer!
11 comment12 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2012
I am very impressed with the GE LED 9 watt bulbs. I have them have mounted in a pair of wall sconces that light my stairway landing. Previously, I had GE 60 watt Reveal incandescent bulbs in those fixtures. To do my own bulb experiment, I replaced one the bulbs in one of the wall sconces with the LED bulb and left the 60 watt incandescent bulb in the other. This allowed me to do a real-time, side-by-side comparison (the sconces are about 6 feet apart on the same wall). Also, the sconces are open top so the light from the bulbs was unfiltered by a glass fitter or globe.

I though the results of the comparison were quite impressive:
- The LED bulb gives off almost as much light as the 60 watt incandescent.
- I was pleasantly surprised at how well the light was distributed by the LED bulb, it compared quite well to the incandescent bulb.
- The color rendering of the bulbs showed the most difference between the bulbs. My beige colored walls appeared gray near the light fixture with LED bulb. Color rendering improved within a few feet, but was not as accurate as the 60 watt Reveal bulbs. There is a definite difference in color - hence the 4 star rating.

Overall, I am impressed and would recommend the GE 9 watt LED bulbs.
on April 8, 2011
This product is awesome. I was very skeptical about it, but I was curious as well. I bought one just to try out and switched out one of my sixty watt bulbs at home. I'm not an expert at light color or any of that jazz, but I honestly can't tell the difference between this thing and a sixty watt incandescent bulb side by side. Same color and brightness to my eye anyway. The only real questions I have is, "Will they last as long as they say?" and "When will the price come down out of the stratosphere?". Not to harp on it too much, but if you buy new technology you expect the price will be higher. Just the way of things. But then consider that you can buy a regular light bulb for a dollar or less and this one is at least 40 times that cost. Wow. If it was twelve dollars it would still be twice as much as the cost to make it, but that would at least be within reason. Other than those items though, they have this technology nailed. So, bottom line is, if you have the stomach for paying outrageous amounts of money for a light bulb, I say go for it. It is definitely the future of lighting in my opinion.
55 comments22 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2012
I bought two of these bulbs. They provide all around coverage just like an incandescent or CFL bulb, which is a must-have feature of any general use bulb, but is hard to find in an LED bulb. Most LED bulbs have a focused-direction lighting pattern (something like a flood light) that does not help for general use. These are less stressful on my eyes than CFL bulbs. In fact, in terms of eye strain, these are much similar to one of the old high quality soft white incandescent bulbs that had less yellow tint. While they are advertised as a 40w replacement, they seem brighter than a 40w incandescent bulb.

See 1 answered question