63.93 Kindle.. 42.99 Paper.. Hmmmm

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 193 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 28, 2012 4:21:24 AM PDT
B. Baribeau says:
I have to be missing something here.. $20 more for the privilege of saving a tree and getting these books on my Kindle??? No thanks..

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 4:45:12 AM PDT
J. Bradley says:
Where can you buy the entire series for 42.99? Amazon? Sorry I'm too lazy to look lol

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 4:48:03 AM PDT
B. Baribeau says:
Harry Potter Paperback Box Set (Books 1-7)

LoL.. I would have been too.. But I had looked just this last week as a present for my GF's daughter.. Yes.. on Amazon.. the paperback box set is 42.99

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 4:51:56 AM PDT
Tyler Durden says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 5:10:13 AM PDT
B. Baribeau says:
Really? You are serious? Ok.. If you really want to go there then let's compare...

The charger for my Kindle consumes 2 watts per hour.. it takes 4-5 hours to fully charge.. so.. for the sake of argument let's say 10 watts.. that gets me 30-60 min of reading per day for a week..

Where I live.. I pay about $0.12 per Kilowatt hour.. that is 1000 watts used in the period of 1 hour

So.. for that 12 CENTS.. I can charge my Kindle 100 times.. and get nearly 2 YEARS of reading time.. ( and in my area the power comes from clean ole nuke power )

So.. yeah.. I think it is unreasonable to have a $20 preimum on the electronic version. They want us to pay $20 more for a version that kills a tree.. must be printed, then transported to the warehouse... then transported again to me..

Now.. I'm not a 'green' person.. What I am saying is it costs the publisher much less to create and distribute the electronic version.. and the price should reflect that..

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 5:27:39 AM PDT
Wow, $42.99? Just before the kindle edition came out it was $50!

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 5:30:06 AM PDT
tec2030 says:
If there was a "bundled kindle version" it would probably be cheaper...the paperback set of all the books is cheaper because it is just that...a collected set.

The digital versions are cheaper than their paperback counterparts.

And lets be real...anyone who has read these books owns them already...it is only a certain reader that will pay to buy them again in this format.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 5:31:25 AM PDT
Magnus says:
First it is $43 with $4 shipping so total cost of getting the item would be $47. Getting the entire series bundled together is $57.54. Which is a $10 increase or about a 21% increase. With that said you do get 8 uses in which you can download to multiple accounts.

Yes I agree it is a price hike but in all honesty they are not gouging nearly as much as other book sets. With that said would I prefer they charge less, of course. The problem is you are unfortunately comparing apples to oranges. If you look at the list price for the book set you see it is $86.93 which may or may not be the publisher listed price. Amazon buys in bulk and can choose to set their own price which they are not given the same opportunity with E-Books anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 5:33:55 AM PDT
B. Baribeau says:
Hey.. I am being real. Right now I don't have either version.. In addition to my own I bought a kindle for my gf.. and her girl can read the books on that.. or on the paper version..

I do understand that I am in the minority on this.. Having never bought these books before.. but for those of you that already have the paper version it seems to be that it would be even more insulting to have to pay again for the electronic version... and have to pay more than you can get the box set for..

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 5:35:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2012 5:35:54 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 5:40:59 AM PDT
You're paying for the convenience more than anything. We've all had that feeling of finishing a book in the middle of a trip and wishing you'd brought the next book in the series, but now you can't because you're on vacation. With the whole series on kindle you don't have that problem.

If that's worth the extra money to you, I'd do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 5:44:57 AM PDT
B. Baribeau says:
Yes.. $4 shipping.. but you missed that this was not from amazon.. it was from one of the amazon storefronts.. So I doubt buying in bulk was responsible for the price diff...

As for the rest of your math.. Not quite sure it works out.
7.99 Kindle Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
7.99 Kindle Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
7.99 Kindle Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
9.99 Kindle Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
9.99 Kindle Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
9.99 Kindle Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
9.99 Kindle Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

To me.. that = 63.93

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 5:48:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2012 6:03:29 AM PDT
Magnus says:
I agree with you and have not purchased them because of it. What I was saying was that you were not taking into account that they cut the cost if you buy the whole set together. You save 10% if you buy the whole bundle. I was simply informing you that the comparison was incorrect. That book set would cost you $47 to have it shipped and the digital would be $57.

Vote with your wallet and do not buy for the Kindle. The only reason why I am not super offended with this hike is that I am given the opportunity to have it on multiple devices. Not to mention that they at least discounted them bundled together.

They have a bundled version on the site which gives you a 10% discount. Go to the site and verify.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 5:49:59 AM PDT
B. Baribeau says:
Well.. ok. you know.. that is a reasonable argument.. I don't agree with it.. at least in this case.. I mean.. where in the world can't you find Harry Potter books? ( hey.. I was able to find Tom Clancy books in Moscow.. in English! ) And I don't feel the convenience is worth more than the cost of 2 whole books.. ( I think the savings in printing and transportation should outweigh the 'convenience fee' )

BUT.. Brett.. I do like that you came at this from a different direction

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 5:52:13 AM PDT
The big deal here is not that Harry Potter books have arrived on the Kindle, but HOW LONG it took them to get here. So right, a few years after the publication of the last book in the series, after we've read them all, seen the films, discussed them and know them by heart, why buy them again? Think again Amazon...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 5:55:02 AM PDT
B. Baribeau says:
Really that is what I am doing.. voting with my wallet.. but when I saw there was this much diff in price I had to post.. And bring up the issue.. It just really chaps my hide when electronic version are more expensive than paper ones are.. and you can't even sell the electronic version to your local bookstore when you finish or are unhappy with the book!

As long as most of thes books have been out.. the Kindle version should be gravy for the publisher... not steak..

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 6:02:16 AM PDT
Magnus says:
Hey I agree there was another book series Mistborn which had a bundled version released which actually cost more then the E-books bought separately. Never mind that it was a 57% increase on the paperback bundled version. They eventually dropped it $1.

I buy an e-book when it is necessary for me which happened exactly how Brett mentioned. Stuck in a place where I would not have been able to obtain a book just released in a series for two weeks.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 6:09:56 AM PDT
Price can be significantly smaller if you know some friends who want the complete set as well. $57.54 gets you the complete set on Pottermore, and 8 downloads/approvals for downloads from Pottermore.

Say you and one friend want the whole set.
You both chip in half the price ($28.77 each) and then link one of your Amazon accoutns to the Pottermore account.
Get approval for your Amazon account to download the books to the first account. Then unlink it from Pottermore.
Link the second one, redownload all the books to the second Kindle account.
Congratulations, you both have all the books and paid significanlty less than the paperback collection.

Plus both of you can read at the same time unlike the paperbackc collection if you were to go double in on that.

Imagine if you had 7 other friends and could split all 8 downloads between 8 people's Amazon Accounts. Then you'd all be paying $7.20 for the bundle!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 6:13:53 AM PDT
B. Baribeau says:
I like the wheeling & dealing .. not something I would do.. but A+ for creativity..

It's a real shame that we would have to resort to this just to get a reasonable price..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 6:41:13 AM PDT
I agree...and won't buy a kindle version until the 'newness' wears off and all the suckers have quit overpaying. When it drops, I'll get the set.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 7:10:49 AM PDT
Magnus says:
Paul I do not see the price dropping significantly in the near furture. They control the distribution exclusively and pay little expense in storage for the electronic file. Hence no need to reduce the price.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 7:39:26 AM PDT
Ron Breznay says:
E-books should always be cheaper than paper books. Negating the convenience factor are these factors: with a Kindle book, when you're finished reading it, you can't lend it to someone who doesn't have a Kindle, you can't donate it to the library, you can't sell it on eBay, you can't trade it at the local used-book store, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 8:10:05 AM PDT
Except that the publisher is not distributing the e-Books. The pricing was set by the author.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 8:26:03 AM PDT
You are too funny. When I went to purchase the Pilots Wife on kindle it was $4.00 more than the paperback. What choice do you think I made?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 8:27:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2012 8:38:21 AM PDT
B. Baribeau says:
I have been doing some reading on this subject.. The answers are not very clear.. But the majority of articles I have read say that the publisher sets the price on e-books.. Though I am sure Amazon's share of the sale.. and contract obligations with the author strongly influence the price the publisher sets..

But.. any way you look at it.. there is NO justification for the electronic version to be more expensive than the cheapest print version..

The more I think about it.. the less I can even accept the 'convenience' fee.. After all. hardcover books aren't cheaper even though they are more heavy and difficult to transport and store by the end user..

We bought the Kindle device on the promise.. and the good sense that the electronic versions of the books would be less expensive.. And it sure feels like someone is jerking us around now they know they 'have' us..
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  114
Total posts:  193
Initial post:  Mar 28, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - August 1, 2007)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (8,887)