4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but make sure the damper is working...
Broan Roof Cap 634m

Published on January 29, 2009 by Victor H. Agresti

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't survive shipping very well.
I ordered the Broan 634M roof cap from National Trade Supply. I don't know if the other vendors that sell it on Amazon ship this product inside another box but I can say for sure that NT Supply does not. Packaged only in the manufacturers box, the roof cap arrived at my door bent and twisted. I have uploaded photos above.

Otherwise, the Broan 634M appears...
Published on April 28, 2011 by MikeInOhio

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but make sure the damper is working..., January 29, 2009
This review is from: Broan 634M Steel Roof Cap for 6" Round Ducting with Backdraft Damper, Black Enamel
Broan Roof Cap 634m

I installed two of these low profile roof caps on the roof of a new addition. See Customer Images. Exhaust fans from the home's interior connect to the 6" round duct on the cap's bottom. These roof caps are well made, look great on the finished roof, and work well in being the exit point for exhaust fans. A bird-screen wire mesh is installed, which you can just barely see in one of the Customer Images.

They are painted a very dark brown, not "black" as stated in the Amazon ad. On the other hand, you can only tell they are brown from close-up - at any distance at all they look black.

After installing, check from the inside that the gravity-operated aluminum damper is working properly. A damper on one of those roof caps came loose during installation. The damper pivots on two tiny tips, either one of which can pop out of its pivot "hole" during delivery or installation. You need great patience (small hands help) to get it back in place; I did it from the inside after it was installed.

One star off for a design that allows a damper to pop loose so easily.

Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't survive shipping very well., April 28, 2011
MikeInOhio (Lorain, OH United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

Otherwise, the Broan 634M appears well made and of sufficient strength and quality to last a long time. This roof cap is sold under two different model numbers - 634 and 634M. The "M" version has a 6" round collar stubbed out the bottom that is 1 and 7/16 inches long. That doesn't leave much metal in the attic to grab on to, so plan on adding an extension prior to installation.

The non-"M" version has no collar. The installer is required to run ductwork (either round or rectangular) out the roof and the Broan cap is secured over top.

3.0 out of 5 stars Intall easy-Duct connection could be better, August 29, 2011
Just installed this roof cap 1 week ago. The install into the roof was easy and the look is good. I have two complaints about this product. The first is that the down draft flap was not sitting correctly. When in the closed position there was a 3/4 inch gap on on side. I was about to send it back when I reached inside and pushed on it and it snapped into place. Functions and closes properly after that.
Second is the length of the pipe extending through the roof is only ~ 1 inch and makes it a bit difficult to connect the duct work, in addition the diameter is a little on the small side. This makes it impractical to use metal duct tape as the connection method. This requires you to mash the flex duct using a duct clamp and hope you don't create a rip and that it makes a good seal. In my case there is a very small leak. I am debating removing and reconnecting using some tape or rubber to close the gap between the cap outer diameter and the flex duct inner diameter.

2.0 out of 5 stars consider the functional aspects over design, February 16, 2011
This unit should not be used for snow areas (way too short) or hurricane areas (poorly functioning baffle), or 'particular' people (too much noise from the baffle flap operation transferred down the pipe. The directional restriction of the design will create turbulence of the air and it will be heard in the installation room. Overall, choose wisely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, June 16, 2012
It's a solid construction. Functions properly. Damper works well. And it looks very neat, once installed. The vent is a square shape, so it's easy to make a cutout on the shingles. Only negative is that the bottom 6" connecting collar is WAYYYY too short. I STRONGLY recommend pulling your ducting THROUGH the hole on the roof, connecting it to this vent, THEN installing the vent. Because if you try to install your ducting to the vent, after you've done your install, there will be no way for you to attach it, as the duct collar at the bottom of the vent does not stick far enough through the roof to connect to. You'll see what I mean when you buy this. I did it the hard way and just barely caught some zip ties on it. That is not the way to go about doing it.

Also, I'd recommend cutting the hole slightly larger than a 6" diameter. Maybe something like 6.1-6.2"

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for bathroom vents, January 11, 2014
Although I found this item on AMAZON, I did not buy it through AMAZON as the roofing company that installed them had them in stock. I recently upgraded bathroom exhausts in upper level bathrooms and had 2 of these vents installed through the roof. I had them installed professionally as my roof is too high and steep for me to get onto. I live in Indiana, and we recently had 14 inches of snow and temperatures in the negative 20's (the high temperatures were sub-zero for several days!). These vents worked perfectly- they were not impeded by the snow on the roof, the back-check valves did not freeze shut, and the warm air they exhausted did not cause ice dams. I am very happy with these vents and highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using it in the winter, in northern MN, January 15, 2013
I read a review saying the profile for this was too low for the winter months. Not a problem here. We don't have a lot of snow but ice has been thick this year. So far so good. Super easy to install. I'm glad I got it with the 6" insert too. Wouldn't have known what to do with the end of the pipe if i didn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, September 3, 2012
Jeff (Fort Worth, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I checked out the hardware stores Home Depot and Lowes and they didn't really have what I needed. I needed a roof vent for 6" duct. This product is perfect for that.

This item arrived a while back and I installed it today.

I read multiple reviews about this and other roof vents.

There was one that said this vent was actually brown. It looks black to me.

There were some reviews that said the vent arrived damaged. Mine arrived in perfect condition. It was in a box that was placed inside another box. The vents are easily damaged as I bent a corner carrying the vent to the roof.

I think that the collar to attach the 6" duct could (should) be longer. The directions tell you to cut a 7" diameter hole. I did that and didn't have any problems connecting by 6" flexible duct work with a 6.5" Hose Clamp. I would rather have cut a 6" hole but I think if I had done that I would have had trouble connecting the 6" duct work because of the short length of the collar.

The bird guard kept falling out of the vent once I was on the roof which was rather annoying but I don't think it's going to fall out now that the roof vent is mounted.

The damper works fine and is very quiet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 6" roof cap, May 29, 2011
nick (Rochester, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Excellent product and easy to install. Being 6", this was perfect to mount directly to 6" bathroom fans with 6" insulated flex duct. There are comments about the collar being too short but this is not true; plenty of room to attach flex vent with clamps. Installs easily in existing roof. The vent is available at local home improvement stores. I had to order a replacement as the first one came in damaged in the box; the corners bend easily if not handled carefully in shipping.

Looks great, would recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong with this roof cap., June 19, 2013
Needed a roof cap (years ago) when I replaced my bathroom exhaust fan - I bought the Broan 634M. A few months ago I needed to purchase a roof cap for my about-to-be-installed kitchen range hood - I bought the Broan 634M. Enough said.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›