4.0 out of 5 stars 66 Love Letters by Dr. Larry Crabb
I recently read the book 66 Love Letters from author and psychologist Dr. Larry Crabb. This is a literary departure from the other works that Dr. Crabb has written previously. This volume is "presented as a dialog between one man and God." (quote from book sleeve)

Published on February 15, 2010 by J. Bergmann

2.0 out of 5 stars 66 Love Letters
This is a book written as a conversation between God and the author that takes you through each book of the Bible [66 love letters] explaining to you in the author's point of view what God is saying to us in each book. It is written in simple dialogue and you feel like you are sitting in on a conversation between Dr. Crabb and the Lord.

I enjoyed this book &...
Published on March 19, 2010 by A. Melton

4.0 out of 5 stars 66 Love Letters by Dr. Larry Crabb, February 15, 2010
This review is from: 66 Love Letters: A Conversation with God That Invites You into His Story (Hardcover)

The structure is simple: each chapter covers one of the 66 books of the Bible and does so to personalize and cut through the scriptural stories to expose God's encompassing desire to have a relationship with mankind and to hone in on Jesus' role of redeeming us to himself.

I processed several thoughts and adjusted my goals for this book as I read along:

~ At first, I hoped that this would be a non-stop amazing journey through the themes of scripture but after a few chapters found myself hoping that the next chapter(s) would be better. This didn't happen and was rather frustrating.

~ I then decided to read each chapter as a distinct conversation. One book made up of 66 individual writings... much like the Bible itself. After making this jump, the stories came to life.

~ As I read along, I decided to read chapters along with my daily devotion time. For instance, as I read of Israel's conquests in the Bible book of Joshua, I took the opportunity to read the equivalent chapter in 66 Love Letters. The text was only 4 pages long and gave way to another layer of devotional thought to my daily reading.

If you are looking for a book to read from cover to cover, this will seem like a compilation of scattered stories. However, if you use 66 Love Letters as a companion to your daily Scripture readings (especially if you are reading through the Bible in a year), it is a rather enlightening study. As a pastor, I plan to keep this volume with my study materials and commentaries to aid in my sermon/lesson preparations.

Last, I did go to Dr. Crabb's website and noted that there is a study guide available. I did not request the free study guide but am hopeful that a companion read would be helpful to get the most from this (almost) 400 page volume.

You can read this review and others on my blog at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Seismic Exposure and the Love of God, November 3, 2010
I am leading 20 women in an online reading of 66 Love Letters alongside of reading through the Bible in one year. 66 Love Letters is the best book I've ever read in stirring me to engage in honest self-examination because I see glimpses of the Love and Provision of a very Good, Holy God. Crabb offers four decades of working with people as a psychologist to invite us to so much more than what we are experiencing. We all battle the world, the flesh and the devil but I am seeing there is way more evil in me than I ever recognized. Crabb has exposed for me the evil in my "necessity, reasonableness, efficiency, even moral goodness." I have sobbed over my demandingness that God cooperate with my agenda. I am in the middle of cancer, foreclosure, job loss, insurance loss, betrayal, and am homeless---my husband and I are living with friends. I am desperate for truth---and at times more desperate for relief. But, in the midst of mitigating circumstances that should sideline me, Larry Crabb has invited me through 398 pages onto the dance floor to find a Love I know not. I'm not very good at the waltz but my Beautiful God has grabbed hold of my right arm (Psalm 63:8) and He is not letting go of me---and it's all right here in these 66 Love Letters. With every book of 66 Love Letters, this author gives me hope not just by seismic exposure but by leading me to the One Who Loves me so! I am wrestling and learning from this book to live more concerned about "my unholiness than about my overwhelming pain"---and that has to be God! It's only a taste but I am a tad little more "privileged by the high calling of my Christ than unsettled by my pain." God will rouse Himself up to do His Work in you, a very Strange Work through 66 Love Letters (Isaiah 28:21). I would be beside myself on this journey if it weren't for God using this book in my life at this time. If you read one book this year, here it is. This author is a modern-day Ezekiel gripped in the Love of God, calling us to visit untouched places in our hearts, beckoning us to walk into a Door of Hope (Hosea 2:14)---66 Love Letters. Bev Brandon

2.0 out of 5 stars 66 Love Letters, March 19, 2010

I enjoyed this book & it sparked a lot in my spirit, although I do not recommend it to anyone that hasn't read the Holy Bible themselves or a new believer. It isn't a book that you can sit down and read from cover to cover, I would recommend reading 1 love letter [chapter] per day and even pair it with your Bible so that you can know what the actual word of God says for each chapter. My overall impression of this book was a good one. My only concern would be a person reading it in place of the Bible or taking what Dr. Crabb said in his book as being truth spoken from God. It did encourage me to read my Bible in more detail with better understanding and as God is speaking directly to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars 66 Love Letters by Dr. Larry Crabb, April 27, 2010
66 Love Letters
by Dr. Larry Crabb
66 Love Letters: A Conversation with God That Invites You into His Story

I have mixed reviews of this book, mainly because I love most or Larry Crabb's books. I found this book to be inviting and intriguing, especially in the Old Testament books. It opened up some things that I had not considered before and has helped me to see a lot of the things in a new light. In particular how that God, is the same in the Old Testament as in the New Testament. This book is excellent for those struggling with what seems to be the "staunch" God of the Old Testament versus the "loving" God of the New Testament. It definitely gives you a challenge to look at things from God's point of view and not just your own. For that I give definite KUDOS. Dr.Crabb is a masterful writer and I thought it warm to write it from his current perspective. It gives us an inside look and let's us know that its not just you or I that have problems understanding things. If you have not read Dr.Crabb's other books, I heartily recommend them as they will enlighten you to the human psyche, especially INSIDE OUT.

However, for the good I have to give this book (that outweighs the negative by the way), I must say that I am disappointed that Dr.Crabb thrust some of his personal doctrine on us in the New Testament and did not continue the objectivity which he started with. I found that disappointing and it has made me now hesitant to recommend this book to struggling readers with whom I would have to get into a quagmire of explanation on what this is and what that is. While I will be keeping this book for my personal library and will recommend it to those more mature, I'm afraid it just doesn't have the punch that Inside Out had.

Overall, I liked the book and the style of writing. I liked the double takes that I had to take because I had not seen things in that light before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Renewed my Devotional Life!, March 10, 2010
I have read favorable reviews on Larry Crabb in the past so I though I would take a chance with this book. The title intrigued me and I was not disappointed. What if you treated each book of the Bible as a love letter? Wouldn't you want to read a love letter from the start until the finish? I was amazed at the application that I was able to draw from reading this book and the Bible at the same time. There will be those that cannot get past the author having conversations as if he were God, but the author's conversations were backed with Biblical principles. I have already recommended this book to a handful of people. Nice read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, March 8, 2010
In this book I found Dr. Crabb's approach and style of writing to be unique and easy to read and follow. His approach to explaining God's message through each book of the Bible was stimulating to my study. The conversational approach might have been limited but it still was a refreshing approach to each book of the Bible. I also found nuggets that were relevant to the current situations of mankind giving credibility to my own observations about how there is a difference in what God wants us to know and how we interpret what he says. This book will be a great asset to my study library. I have recommended "66 Love Letters" to many of my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars 66 Love Letters~Review, February 28, 2010
66 Love Letters is the latest book by best-selling author, psychologist and Christian counselor Dr. Larry Crabb. Dr. Crabb takes a very interesting approach in this book, he takes every book of the Bible and condenses it down to one paragraph, and then expands it into a love letter from God. There are many Christian leaders who say that the Bible is indeed a love letter from God. Dr. Crabb does a wonderful job translating the bible into an easily readable series of meaningful letters. In the prologue, Dr. Crabb advises to take the book slowly and perhaps only read a chapter a week, I was going to try that but I could not put it down. From the beginning of the book we are shown that God has a plan for each of us and we must trust him to see it through. This book is a great collection, to be kept on hand to read again and again

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Challenging: I needed to hear every word!, March 3, 2010
If you didn't have a hunger for absorbing God's Word before you read this, you will when you finish it. Actually you will from about the time you read the first few pages. The book provides simple, plainspoken explanations of each book of the bible, piecing them together so that we see them individually and as a whole. By the end, you have a great starting place for what God wants to say to you through his Scripture. I believe the book would be valuable to any Christian, but I especially think it would be a good challenge for a young Christian. Sometimes as a Christian its hard to see why God does certain things, but this book serves as a reminder that God always has a purpose for everything He does. And his plans always include us, His children! It's something to get excited about!

Shirley

Please note that I received a free copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of reviewing it. I was not required to write a positive review.

5.0 out of 5 stars 66 Love Letters, March 1, 2010
66 Love Letters is about a intimate conversation between God and the author.In this book,Dr Crabb takes each book of the Bible and reviews as if he is having a intimate conversation with God about what God wants the reader to learn from that book.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and could not put it down.I didn't approach the book as a deep Bible study nor did I expect to really dig into God's Word.I approached the book as a well wrote piece of fiction and as such,it was not disappointing.
The book is easy to read and easy to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars See the story of God's plan, the big picture, February 25, 2010
This book reminds me of C.S. Lewis' "Screwtape Letters". This is a truly a book that shifts your perspective. Instead of looking at life in terms of how it relates to your own happiness (as fleeting as it is), it examines the bigger, more important role of your life as a part of God's ultimate plan on earth. The author does an excellent job showing us the big picture, the grand story that it taking place throughout history and how God is inviting us to join it. The author makes the sometimes confusing and seemingly irrelevant text of the Bible make sense as to how it really does fit into God's plan. I love the conversational approach through the examination of what God might say to us about each book of the Bible as if we were sitting having a conversation with him over coffee. What I appreciate most about the book are the questions the author asks God -- they are the honest and tough questions that most of us think to ourselves when reading the Bible but do not dare to ask, let alone put into print.

To my delight and surprise, after reading this book I have gained a better understanding of what God may be communicating to us through each book of the Bible, not in a scholarly or academic way, but in an applicable, life-changing way.

I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their [...] [...] book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

66 Love Letters: A Conversation with God That Invites You into His Story
66 Love Letters: A Conversation with God That Invites You into His Story by Lawrence J. Crabb (Hardcover - January 12, 2010)
Used & New from: $8.65