Amazon.com: Customer Reviews:
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

• Customer Reviews

on May 28, 2008
I have been using Ball #68100 wide-mouth, half-gallon Mason jars. They hold not only 2-quarts but even 2-liters and still allow airspace between the top of the contents and the rim or lid.

I needed 1-quart jars so I ordered Ball #67000 wide-mouth 1-qt jars. I was surprised to find, when they arrived, that not only could they not hold one quart of liquid with airspace above but they only held 30oz when filled to the rim.

I have since learned that "Ball" is a name licensed for use by multiple manufactures. The #67000 jars I purchased through Amazon were manufactured in the U.S.A. by Jarden and sold (through Amazon) by "All American General Store" which has since disappeared from Amazon's list of vendors. (All American General Store never did reply to my email complaint.)

A Ball 1-quart, wide-mouth Mason jar which I later purchased from a well known local merchant did, in fact, hold 32oz.
1010 comments|410 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2010
What a disappointment it was to learn that all Ball/Kerr metal canning jar lids are lined with the toxin BPA. I hope they're working on a lid that is 100% free of BPA, but in the mean time, if you're searching for lids without BPA, you might try Tattler lids. They are reusable and guaranteed to last a lifetime. There are others on the market as well.
4444 comments|267 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2014
UPDATE: I originally gave these 1 star because they were described by Amazon as freezer-safe, and I had multiples explode in my freezer, despite leaving room for expansion (see review below). However, Amazon has removed this description, so I am giving the product a better rating as these jars are still great for non-freezer purposes. If you are looking for freezer containers, the smaller sized wide-mouth jars are great and are freezer-safe.

For those who use Ball jars for freezing: The Amazon description stated that they are freezer safe. I bought these locally (MUCH better price), and a chart on the box says that the quart size is not freezer safe. I took my chances hoping that this Amazon description was right...they aren't. I've had two explode in the freezer, even though I left a decent amount of room for expansion. The Amazon description says that they are freezer safe, but the box specifically says that the quart size is not. Other (smaller) sizes of the Ball Wide Mouth Mason Jars are truly freezer safe. I have been using the smaller sizes for over a year without any problems. The quart size is the only one I've had a problem with in the freezer.

In summary, the Amazon description is incorrect. The quart size is NOT freezer safe. All other smaller sizes of the Ball mason jars are freezer safe (according to the chart on the box, and personal experience.)
88 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2010
Amazon is usually on the cheper side on many items. I ordered these without looking into the prices. Soon I found out, they are twice as expensive compared with other places. :(
33 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2011
As others have mentioned, these jars no longer hold a quart. I'm fed up with Jarden--they've ruined every product line they've purchased!!
33 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2015
These jars are fine. They are quart size with a wide mouth. The photo on this listing, which was a dozen jars in a box with a picture of jarred pickles on the side, seemed to show the jars with smooth, unmarked sides. Had I known that all 4 sides of these jars are marked with pictures, measurements, and the Ball brand name, I would have definitely purchased something else. I'm not annoyed enough to return and reorder elsewhere, but I will know next time that this particular brand will not showcase the contents inside the jar clearly.
review image
on November 30, 2014
I loved the jars, but I would have loved them more if one of them hadn't been broken when I received the package. Also the broken glass created a bit of a predicament when trying to get the mason jars out of the package due to the broken shards of glass all-around. Other than that it seems to be a good product.
review image review image
on July 24, 2015
Used these for making "Salad in a Jar" which turned out even better than I expected. Lasts a week in these jars. Useful for storing salad fixings, leftovers, etc. Contents last much longer in the glass jars than in plastic containers. Who knew? Flash to my youth before plastic stuff....works very well.
on November 27, 2013
Ladies and Gents...Please do not spend $21.97 on this product. This product is worth about $11!!!! Walmart, Walmart, Walmart! Same product! :) The 1 star has to do with the price, not the product. This is a great product.
on February 2, 2016
These are great jars. I bought 4 cases of these for Christmas gifts. The wide mouth jars are perfect for the dry cookie dough recipes. It looks so pretty. Add a little bakers twine and a tag and you're set.

Sorry for the cropped photo. Wanted to remove the names.
review image