Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on May 31, 2013
This book is a must-read for anyone interested in learning more about New Orleans, its customs, traditions and history. As there is no table of contents (at least in my edition), for those interested, its sections include: Places, People, Music, Architecture, History, Lexicon, Libations, Sports, Mardi Gras, Mother Nature Matters, On Death and Dying, Plague and Pestilence, Medicine, Revolting Developments, Customs and Culture, The Arts, Literature, By the Numbers, Food, Quotable New Orleans Quotes, Legend and Lore, and Lagniappe (or "something extra" in connection with a purchase). This is a great reference book for researchers, and has helped me tremendously in my own research of this fascinating city.
on January 8, 2009
I am a native New Orleanian that transplanted to New York in 2001, but my one true love will always be New Orleans. If your from there or have visited, you know what I mean. I received this book from a family member back home that recommended it to me. I was quite curious when I first skimmed through the book and saw that it was written by another transplanted New Orleanian. As I read it, I found myself growing slowly, but surely homesick. I found myself smiling at the things I already knew and enjoying the new things that I was learning. The book truly took me back home. I would recommend this book to every native New Orleanian, be they in the city limits or a thousand miles away, just to remind you of everything that you love about "The City That Care Forgot". It is also the perfect primer for those visiting New Orleans for their first time or their millionth time. The book is worth you money and your time, because it is well written and planned out. Great read.
on January 13, 2009
Having grown up in Metaire, a suburb of New Orleans, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was informative, entertaining and an easy read. The book was one you could pick up and put down with ease, although once reading, it was hard to put down. The "chapters" of the book are great with the squibs of information separated by a small fleur-de-lis. I believe native New Orleanians, transplants to New Orleans, visitors and those who lived in the Big Easy at one point in their life will enjoy this book. Without a doubt, I recommend this book. I hope Ms. Dalide writes Another 683 Things About New Orleans - I want more.
on December 19, 2008
I bought this book for a Christmas gift and, after reading through it, I bought another copy for my own bookshelf. It's a great little book about the little known history of New Orleans, its colloquialisms, its food, its legends and famous natives written by a native who clearly loves the city. It is a sure-fire cure for homesickness of a certain New Orleans nature for anyone who calls, has called or will soon call the Crescent City home. It's also great additional reading for the traveler. Easy to read and very informative!
on August 18, 2013
I learned great facts about NO that I never knew, and I was born there! It is the perfect gift to give a friend who visits you there or to take home to remember your trip.
on February 24, 2012
As a lover of all things New Orleans, this was a great purchase. However, I'll need to be convinced I can't carry it around like a tourist when we travel there next!
on January 1, 2013
I started with minimal knowledge but after reading this book I feel as though there isn't anything I missed. A must read.
on August 7, 2009
Quick reading and interesting short facts about the city. Up to date and interesting even for a native New Orleanian. I bought it as a gift, my husband read a little and decided to keep it for himself.
on January 28, 2014
Excellent information relative to all eras of New Orleans. It gave me a much deeper understating of the history of
The city.
A very enjoyable book.
on January 14, 2014
A boring book of mostly useless tidbits of info. If you know anything about New Orleans there are much better books to read to learn more.detailed and interesting information. If you know nothing of New Orleans, just get yourself a good tourist guidebook. Don't waste your time or money on this.