Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on April 23, 2008
My 2G Surf worked perfectly for two months and connected with three different wireless routers during that period. I was delighted, because wireless connectivity and size were the features that attracted me to the Eee.
Then, suddenly, although it still recognized my router's signal, it could not connect to it. Several hours of research on the internet came up with no fix, but did convince me that this is by no means an unusual problem with the Eee. I was never again able to make a wireless connection. Then system hangups began to occur more and more frequently until the computer finally locked completely. At that point I tried to reinstall the system, but the machine hung during the reinstall and was thereafter totally inert.
An (extended) phone call to Asus support resulted in a return authorization . Four days later a NEW computer arrived. I was delighted with the support. After finishing the initial start-up sequence I tried to make a connection to my router. No connection to the router could be made - nothing but a "pending" status. I have not yet heard from the support group about the wireless issue of this machine.
There are claims on the internet that both Ubuntu and Breezy (Puppy Linux) have both successfully addressed the Eee wireless problem.
The Eee 2G is everything I expected EXCEPT for WiFi. Unfortunately, it was the most important feature of the computer for me. If WiFi is important to you, I suggest that you hold off on your purchase until Asus cleans up the problem.
JD
44 comments136 of 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2008
This is great as an email machine for travel and using at the local coffee shop. However, between the small screen size and keyboard, it is limited in it's usefulness. Mine freezes unexpectedly and I end up having to reboot which is annoying. The battery runs down really fast unless you dim the screen. And...for some reason when I was visiting a friend for a week recently, it refused to see his wireless network so I was unable to use it. It sees my network at home with no problem.
on March 18, 2008
Asus Eee PC 2G Surf (7" Screen, 800 MHz Intel Celeron Processor, 512 MB RAM, 2 GB Hard Drive, Linux Preloaded) Galaxy Black

This is a very good value. I am quite satisfied, except for 2 minor quibbles. First the screen resolution of 800x480 is quite limiting on a number of web sites. Second is that I wish I had shelled out the extra $50 for the 4 Gbyte version.
on April 20, 2008
I love this little computer. It is perfect to travel with, fits right in my purse. It is quick and has all the capacity of my lap top without the weight. The only downside is the size of the keyboard but I am growing accustom to that as well.

For the money it was a great little purchase.
on June 25, 2008
I love laptops. I love notebooks even better. Of course, I had to see what the buzz was all about with this one, and in short, it is neither notebook nor laptop. It's an adorable, quality-made novelty, that I really want to give 3.5 stars, but Amazon won't let me.

My first impression was how tiny it actually is. You think you know what a 7 inch screen looks like. It is smaller than it appears. The quality seems to be typical Asus. Nice quality.

The short of it all: the battery lasts 2 hours or so. I expected a bit more, but it too is tiny. The screen is fairly bright, and if you use it mostly for Internet, it's a lot of fun. But beyond that, it's not great for much else. Just too small. But at this price, it qualifies for what they call an "impulse buy".

Yes, the USB ports, the card slot, the solid state hard drive (small) the cute (it DOES draw a crowd at McDonald's!) look--all these are cool. But pretty much--you get what you pay for. And for this price, I did.
on July 5, 2009
i'm actually on my cute lil asus now, and it's really great to just carry around. i do have my dislikes though, which are pretty much the same complaints as everyone else's. like the keys are pretty small, even for me, and i have teenie fingers, lol [size 5 ring size, lol!].

i also have issues with the games sometimes. like the solitaire games will SOMETIMES tell me if there is no chance of winning. and the frozen bubble SOMETIMES doesn't play the music all static-y. and the penguin racer is fine... it's just nearly impossible to beat, and i think that's why i hate it, lol. potato guy is pointless, unless my 2 year old niece wants a giggle:)

also the screen size can be irritating, because you pretty much have to scroll online for everything.

pretty much though, i love it for it's cute color [i got pink!] and the convenience of online usage and game fun. i'd recommend this to anyone who isn't a computer nerd and needs it for anything but the internet.
on July 26, 2008
The unit is quite compact and easy to open. However, I did have difficulty getting into my internet. The person I called for assistance at Asus either wasn't clear about what I was asking or didn't know the solution. I contacted a friend who is in the computer business and he walked me through the process.

The keyboard, as should be expected, is small and needs getting used to. I haven't gotten into the processes available, but with a little practice, it has everything I need.

Now that I can easily access the internet, it's great and I can take it anywhere.
on June 29, 2009
The Eee 2G Surf is very cute and can get on the internet without a problem, You won't be able to play any Pogo games on it and the DIVX movies are a little jurky, I found expanding the movie screen to full screen got the video and audio out of sinc and drove me crazy but leaving it and just expanding the player was best.
on April 5, 2008
My wife has been using the EEE PC as a primary computer and has not enjoyed it one bit. The screen is too small to work and they keys are pretty small hands. The track pad doesn't appear too responsive but many people complain that my wife is sending her email twice.

I use the computer for travel and doing some work at coffee shop and have mixed reviews. I like the durability and feel of the machine, although the screen half is top heavy and can roll over backwards if you tilt it too far back. Taking it travelling was great-super portable and loaded with everything I needed including Skype so I could make free calls from my hotel room through the wireless connection. The wireless works great, and the the preloaded software is great too.

Some things I don't like about the EEE PC-the battery, maybe we can get an hour out of it...really bad-even with a dimmed screen-I guess to get a true full charge out it we need to turn off the wireless when not in use but that just becomes a hassle to adjust-I have found I leave it at home and take my Palm TX with wireless keyboard out to the coffee shop to do my word processing.

For $300, I don't think you can go wrong. Also great to have a back-up computer!
11 comment3 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2010
So I loved this for school and taking notes... but one day.. POOF! It wouldn't turn on, a new battery wouldn't work... it just quit working... i hadn't even had it 2 years! :(