on August 26, 2008
This cooler does what's expected of one, I guess... not much to say about it.

It comes with 2 sizes of brass NPT fittings to interface with your existing factory cooler, if equipped. Supposedly there is an orifice bypass which serves to prevent overcooling, I guess that's cool except if you live in Arizona where overcooling doesn't really happen and instead you'd rather have all the flow you can get.

In case anyone wants a reference of functionality, I have a 2001 S10 4x4 with 4.3L engine & 4L60E transmission. On 110 degree days at 75mph my transmission used to run 240F, now with this cooler it runs about 205-210F under those conditions.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 17, 2010
Good Cooler

I suppose in order to understand how I gauge this cooler to be effective a little background info would be good. I have a 96 Dodge Ram 1500 RWD. This model and similar models of the same period are well known for having transmission failures due to excessive heat as the built in radiator cooler was not sufficient.

Prior to installing the cooler I installed a B&M Temperature Gauge kit on the pressure line coming out of the tranny, that way I have a better Idea of the actual transmission temp than if it were installed on the return line as the instructions indicate. The next day I decided put my truck through its paces to see what the temps would be, at 4:00 in the afternoon it was 86 degrees and traffic is fairly heavy during that time of day. Inner city driving for about 45 minutes showed that the temperature would be about 240. Taking it out on the highway at 70mph dropped the temp to about to 220 on long flat stretches.

About a week later I installed the cooler in series with the radiator cooler going first to the B&M cooler then the radiator cooler (Keep In mind that the temp gauge is on the pressure line out of the tranny so it measures the oil temp before it gets the coolers). When I finished it was again about 4:00 in the afternoon, only it was now 102 degrees in the shade. I took it out again to run it through the paces to see what the result would be. Again I drove around the city in traffic for 45 min or so. Initially it took the tranny a good bit longer to get above 200 and then didn't get above 220 until I really stomped it a few times between lights to push the temp up. I then took it out on the highway again and the temp settled at about 200. Considering the results to be good so far I wanted to get a little better Idea so I took it off the highway and back on some hilly dirt roads where I could do between 35mph and 45mph. With overdrive off the temp climbed to a mild 210 on long uphill stretches, with the overdrive on it would climb to 230.

The results of my testing showed to me that even with a 16 degree increase in outdoor temperature the cooler was able to drop my transmissions temperature by a minimum of 10 degrees even though under harder working conditions. Under the same working conditions it would drop the temperature between 20 and 30 degrees.

Wrong Connections

Mounting the cooler to the engine radiator, directly centered horizontally and vertically behind the AC radiator went fairly easily with the included plastic mounts. I mounted it there after considering some other locations but decided that the airflow to the cooler would be too restricted elsewhere. The hose provided was not sufficiently long enough for my chosen location so I needed about 2 more feet and appropriate hose connections.

My problem came when I attempted to connect the supplied brass connectors to my trucks OEM connectors. It was difficult enough explaining to the NAPA people what the problem was, and I ended up having to show them the OEM connections and the brass fittings supplied with the kit. The store manager at Napa immediately recognized the problem with the kits supplied connections when I showed him what I was trying to do and he set about finding the parts to make it work. As the connections were they did seat the threads but did not mate correctly and would have resulted in leaks that would have drained my transmission quickly. I am posting Images in the customer image area that should help in explaining why the connections provided couldn't be used and what parts were necessary to install the cooler.

Why 3 Stars

While the cooler itself is of good quality and does a good job of cooling my transmission I have to deduct some points for them not supplying proper parts to connect it to my transmission. The reason for this is a couple fold, first this is the kit that is recommended for my truck. Second when a kit is supposed to work with a certain set of vehicles it should come with the parts necessary to connect it to those vehicles or give some indication of the additional parts that will be necessary. Thirdly attempts to contact B&M prior to purchasing the kit to insure it would come with all the parts necessary were not responded to (so I knew there would be no customer service from B&M in the event of a problem).
review image review image review image
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The B&M supercooler is worth the extra bucks over a cheaper version. I have another Jeep with a cheaper cooler that works fine but isn't built nearly as solid as the B&M. This thing looks bullet proof. I like the plate design which allows for mounting using the plastic straps through the radiator or if you want to build a mounting bracket there are holds and supplied bolts to do that. I like the low-pressure drop design as well which allows cold fluid to by-pass the cooler so that the tranny fluid isn't over cooled in the winter months.

The install took about 2 hours but I'm very careful with what I cut and where I mount it. The 4 feet of transmission hose that comes with the cooler was enough for me but that is mostly due to the way I mounted it. Mounting it in a different location would require more hose so I recommend that before you take too much apart you consider the location. Transmission hose can be purchased for a few cents a foot at an auto parts store.

In conclusion, I am so far very happy with this cooler. Once we begin pulling a trailer this summer in the heat the full truth will be known.
on December 17, 2010
I installed this cooler in my '93 Chevy C-2500 truck because i tow a 24' travel trailer. My first trip after installing the cooler was to Joshua Tree National Park, about 130 miles from my home. I have not been able to notice any heat issues related to the transmission since the installation. Towing my trailer (up) to Joshua Tree was a challenge for my truck because of improper differential gearing and the fact that i have 285,000 miles on it. The transmission is my primary concern. But after installing the cooler, i feel that i can relax a little. i do not regret buying this product.
Note: the instructions do not indicate which port is input or output. I received an inquiry response from an online RV forum, who indicated that the transmission cooler does not have a particular input or output.
on July 14, 2010
I was getting all kinds of weird things happening in my Mazda transmission because of overheating. Engine flare-ups, jerky downshifts, you name it. It was on a fast road to ruin. Since the installation of this cooler (along with ATF change), all this is now history. Shifts are timely and smooth, all for a fraction of a cost of a new valve body. The only thing that would make this kit even better is a couple of fender washers and a longer (~8ft) hose.
on January 29, 2011
Ordered and received promptly with fast, free shipping. Installed on my 09 Wrangler in a couple hours with no issues. It definately gets hot during operation, significantly hotter than the radiator. This means it is doing its job as advertised. Important - be sure to mount as directed for maximum efficiency. The trans fluid is not circulated under high preasure, so it will not fill the cooler if mounted with the inlet/outlet in the down position. It will just "shortcut" from the inlet to the outlet.
on October 29, 2010
I bought this transmission cooler for my 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and installation was a breeze. I used the zip ties to mount to the radiator and they worked very well.

The only problem with this is that it doesn't come with the correct amount of hose clamps, I'd recommend going and buying a bag of hose clamps from Home Depot before you start the installation. They'll run you an extra $3.50.

Overall, I'm about 2500 miles into this mod and I am very pleased with the performance.
on April 28, 2014
I picked this cooler for my 2008 Avalanche because of the solid reviews on here. What I liked was that it was a stacked plate, and not a cheaper tube and fin style. Also, it advertises a pass through in cold weather, which we certainly got here in Western Canada last winter.

I installed mine behind the license plate holder and cut it away for good airflow. Prior to the cooler, the truck would spike up over 205F in just 10 minutes of towing by 6000lb boat trailer. Now I can't get it over 180F. I find that the fluid gets hotter with the truck idling than moving as crazy as that sounds. However given that the fluid runs through the radiator first, and then to my new cooler, it is actually bringing the temp up to the 210F operating temp of the engine, and not down.

Of note, make sure you keep the factory cooler in line. It heats the fluid in the winter time, and that is critical.

I'd recommend this product for a lot of cooling in a small form factor. Very solid as well. I dropped it and although the inlet bent a bit, it has worked just fine. Order some extra 3/8" hose though, or you'll be short.

ADD: In a test, the truck used to get to 205F towing the boat. Same test now, same ambient temp, is 167F. I've never gotten the transmission over 195F while towing.... ever. I tried.
on May 31, 2014
The 3rd Generation Toyota 4Runner has an issue where the stock radiator rusts thru into the transmission cooler area, mixing the two fluids. The coolant then goes into the torque converter and kills the packs, resulting in stranding the user when the transmission gives and a very costly repair (1500 minimum).

This is a nice preventative measure, makes your transmission cooler completly seperate from the radiator, its also very efficient and will cool your trans fluid far better than your stock trans cooler (very tiny compared to this unit).

If you have a Toyota 4Runner (3rd gen (1994 -> 2002), you will want to do this cheap preventative measure to save yourself atleast a grand or more down the line. (You will also need to source (2X) 3/8" Transmission cooler hoses, each about 6ft in length.
on December 26, 2013
Bought this to replace the factory cooler on my 2002 F150. Had to do some careful thinking on how I wanted to mount it but was able to make it work with the provided brackets and screws/bolts. The kit came with some fittings that were not the right size for my truck at all, searched local hardware and auto stores and had no luck finding the fittings. Decided to cut my rubber inlet/outlet hoses and use hose clamps to hold the fittings securely. Haven't had any issues with leaks.

My transmission temp was getting a bit warm with the old beat up cooler installed. With this new B&M cooler my transmission temp is about 10-20 degrees cooler than before.

For reference, my 2002 F150 7700 has the 4R100 transmission.