4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good machine!
I have owned this jointer since the late 1990's and I have been very pleased with its performance. I only have a shoestring budget for tools, thus I have had to collect what I could, when I could (at times leading to the purchase of cheaply made tools). I am thrilled to report that this tool is in no way flimsy or cheap.

The cast iron is significant and I would...
Published on October 22, 2004 by Scott Pointon

3.0 out of 5 stars What's up with this?
Why is it that Jet discontinued production of this jointer when it fills a large market demand - 6" open stand, light weight stationary, easier transported and modestly priced. Here on Amazon it receives very good reviews and in various internet chat rooms it's also extremely well received. I'd buy this jointer tomorrow but I can't locate one any more. I don't get it.
Published on November 8, 2009 by Erich

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good machine!, October 22, 2004
This review is from: JET 708455 JJ-6OS 6-Inch 3/4-Horsepower Open Stand Jointer, 115/230-Volt 1-Phase (Tools & Home Improvement)

The cast iron is significant and I would give the fit and finish a grade of B+. The infeed/outfeed beds and the fence are very flat and hold their settings well. Though the open stand is not as sturdy as a closed stand would be, if you snug all of the bolts tight and then install this machine on a mobile stand, you won't have any trouble. In my experience, this tool has VERY little vibration, and it is EXTREMELY quiet. I would guess the low vibration is due to the weight - this thing is heavy. I love the fact that this machine comes with two hand wheels for infeed and outfeed bed height adjustment. I have not had a bit of trouble using mine to fine tune the table heights.

As for performance, I have edge/face jointed red and white oak, pine, poplar, walnut, and hard maple with no problems. The motor is more than adequate for all of my jointing needs as I always take a light cut. As for the knives, by varying the fence setting for narrow boards to insure even wear of the blades, I have only had to change my blades once. Though this was a terribly frustrating ordeal, that is common of all jointers so it is not really a valid criticism of this tool.

Overall, I am well pleased with this tool and don't expect that I will ever have need to replace it. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy!, May 12, 2005
B. Muedeking (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
After comparing reviews between the Jet jointer and the Delta jointers - I decided to go with the Jet. I have used it many times now and couldn't be happier. It wasn't too tough to put together - but I had another person there to help so that made things easier. The fence and bed are all straight - no problems with those - and getting the tables matched up was very simple. There is little to no vibration when in use - I think it is much quieter than the tablesaw. The system to collect the chips - the hookup for a vacuum - isn't really worth much - I always end up with a pile of chips on the floor - but most reviews claimed this issue. I have used my jointer for several projects now and couldn't be happier with the results. I am getting straight edges for glue-ups and have also used it to plane down narrow boards. I would recommend this Jet very highly!!

5.0 out of 5 stars well made, August 29, 2005
This is a well made machine. It is easy to adjust and holds it's adjustments well. Very little vibration and not to loud. I have used it nearly every day for several weeks sice it's purchase and would definatly recommend it although I can see the advantages of an 8 inch jonter.

5.0 out of 5 stars great machine, February 20, 2007
I purchased this jointer about a year ago. Assembly was easy with the well written owners manual. I mounted the jointer on a mobile base so I could move it around my tiny basement shop. The blades (knives) that come with the jointer were worn so I replaced them with a set of Freud knives. This is no big deal since stock blades for jointers or saws or whatever are usually inferior to aftermarket products. I used a different method to change the knives then what is shown in the owners manual. First, remove the belt guard so you can rotate the cutter head by hand. Second, remove the old knives and clean the cutter head with an air compressor. Third, install the new set of knives and number each knive with a marker. Just barely tighten the screws on the knive holders. Fourth, place a 1 x 4 hardwood straightedge on the outfeed table and over the inside (next to the fence) of the knive with the knive in the twelve o'clock position. Push the knife down with the straightedge so that it is even with the outfeed table. Firm up, but do not tighten the inside screw. Repeat the procedure at the outside of the knife. When you have the knife level with the outfeed table all the way across tighten all four screws. Repeat the procedure with the other two knives. Replace the belt guard when finished. I don't see why the outfeed table needs to be adjusted as shown in the owners manual - it was already set in place when the original knives were installed. However, the outfeed table may need to be adjusted if the new knives are not similar to the originals. (The Freud knives I purchased were identical to the originals). Also, the owners manual shows a metal straightedge being used to level the knives, which could damage a knife if it is accidently dropped. The risk of this is greatly reduced by using a wooden straightedge. I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Workhorse!, January 29, 2007
This model has a 1 horsepower motor. Not a 3/4 as advertised! A bonus. Well made, smooth running machine. Apply Dry-Cote to fence and table and boards just glide through. My only regret is that I should have bought an 8" model so I could face larger boards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great with one complaint, May 19, 2007
Never Measure (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have been using now for a few months now and it is great. I would rate setup as intermediate in difficulty. If you aren't mechanically inclined and good with directions it could take a while. Use your own tools for the assembly. The ones provided are junk. You will also need a helping hand for part of the assembly process.

The edge jointing is fantastic and the face jointing goes well but it is only 6" so size is a limiting factor. I would really recommend putting this monster on wheels. At ~200# without wheels it is a monster to move.

The biggest problem I have with the jointer is the fence stop adjustment. The bolts used to set the limits are not as precise as they need to be and th this makes 90 and 45 degree stops are not repeatable over time. Also whats the point of getting something accurate to the 64th of an inch when the fence varies by a degree or two at random. This can be quite annoying as it requires micro-adjustments every time you need to be exact. This may be true for other jointers too.

Delivery time was the determining factor for me and the main reason I chose this jointer over the Delta. Both are quality tools and worth the money but as with any tool you get what you pay for.

Good Luck

5.0 out of 5 stars Timothy the Tool Man, February 10, 2008
What can I say. After I got it setup. It worked as it should have.
I am a little concerned about the way the fence is adjusted. Maybe it because my mind can't grasp all the different ways it will move. Or maybe I should read the owners manual. HaHa
It is very well built and it will last as long as I will need a Jointer.
I have nothing bad I can say about this tool. Just a good solid tool that does what it should. I also have another brand 6" Jointer. It doesn't work as well on long boards. And I can't seem to adjust it so that it will work better. I tried for about 6 hours before I gave up. Hence the reason for buying the Jet Jointer.
Timothy the Tool Man

5.0 out of 5 stars JET JOINTER, January 29, 2009
Five Stars for Amazon price, the deliver, the reasonable set up and the great performance. The two toy chests looked great. I am glad now that my Delta jointer broke.

3.0 out of 5 stars What's up with this?, November 8, 2009