Onkyo TX-NR809 THX Certified 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Used & New from: $550.00
709/809: Wireless iTunes Music Hi.

I'm interested in these Onkyo receivers as a.) a great audio reciever and b.) utilize wireless capacity to play iTunes/music from various computers.

I understand I must purchase usb adapter in order to be wireless; but do I also have to purchase a media bridge (like Apple TV device, etc. to connect to computer...?

I'm surprised that functionality not integrated in unit...
asked by waves2ya on October 1, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
Right.

So purchaser has to buy USB adapter and a media bridge (like Apple Airplay or TV) in order to use...?

USB adapter can cannot interface directly with computer to have computer act as server for music...

Right...?

Many thanks for answering...
waves2ya answered on October 23, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The 809 is a great value receiver, if not the best value receiver in my book.My understanding is onyko makes a usb wi-fi connector to plug into the 809 to communicate with other wi-fi components.
Michael Robinson answered on December 5, 2011

A
Thanks for reply...

So, that is in fact what I am trying to determine in these threads. If I have the USB wi-fi plug, then I should be able to use any computer (or wi-fi capable device) as my music 'server' - correct...?

There should be no need to buy another router (Apple TV or Apple Airplay)...

Getting very close to pulling trigger on this purchase so thanks for thots if you know.
waves2ya answered on December 28, 2011

A
The Onkyo wireless adapter is worthless. Get an Apple TV for $99 and/or a wireless bridge to connect to your Onkyo's Ethernet port. It will work 100 times better. I had the Onkyo adapter, and listening to radios via the NET feature was terrible. Once I set up an Apple Airport Express with my wireless network, and connected it to the Onkyo, the NET radios worked perfectly.
Macauley86 answered on March 24, 2012

A
hey waves,

can you please tell me how you made out with the itunes? I have been trying to find out the same answer before I purchase this receiver. Will I be able to just play my itunes from my computer since it and the receiver will be on the same network? I really like this receiver, and do not need the airplay- as long as this other method of accessing my music is available.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Ant answered on March 5, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It does not have Apple' AirPlay. So either connect via Ethernet or USB or get an Apple TV, which is $100.
Charles C. Hall answered on October 23, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product