Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Style Name: 7258 with 100 Stitches & Programmable Needle|Change

on March 21, 2013
I've had similar tension problems to other folks who've rated this machine poorly. Barely even used the machine and the top thread tension just disappears. Took it in to my local Quality Sewing & Vacuum, who have been nothing but helpful and friendly and they were able to find and fix the issue for why my top thread tension was essentially zero (spring on a tension plate was messed up), sewed perfectly, notably the zig-zag stitch (03), which is most notably messed up with the top thread tension gone, since the bobbin thread is just a straight line. Less than 2 minutes back at home, and I hear a loud pop and the tension's gone again. Using simple polyester thread and thin woven cotton fabric, just to test it out. How frustrating, as a new sewer. I thought I was getting a great starter machine; turns out I was just getting a headache.

I'll just go buy a machine from QS&V instead. At least they know their machines work.
on September 9, 2012
Was excited to get this machine with all the great reviews. However, right on start up it gave me an error message "E2" that could not be resolved. I threaded and re-threaded the top and bottom (bobbin), read the manual, cursed and swore and then finally watched the DVD. None of the above was helpful. The DVD is not for this model specifically, but is a generic Singer DVD and incredibly, the manual for this COMPUTERIZED machine has NONE of the error messages listed, which is absolutely ridiculous! Any budget answering machine, printer or other type of computer equipment has an error message guide to help the user solve the issue. Big thumbs down on whoever put together the manual. We finally resorted to searching the internet for an answer to the error message and found it was supposedly a "bobbin" issue but the bobbin was threaded correctly and so was the top thread. I have sewed all my life and know how to thread a machine. (This machine is no different than any other I have used in terms of threading.) Instead of calling customer service I decided to return this to Amazon, esp. after reading others' reviews on how crappy Singer's customer service is. I figure this must be a lemon and didn't want to play games with a defective machine while the return window for Amazon expired.
44 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2014
very good!
Very practical product.
review image review image review image
on March 4, 2014
I already have a Kenmore and have had it for years. It runs like a dream, but I do a lot of quilting and thought it would be nice to have two machines set up- one for piecing and one for free motion. So, when I saw this on special, I jumped on it. It is the noisiest machine I've ever used It clinks and clanks and sounds like it's insides are grinding together. My Kenmore purrs quietly despite 15 years or more of use.
Sewing is usually therapeutic for me. The noise of this machine is unnerving as it sounds like it's breaking down each time you run it.
on March 19, 2012
I purchased this sewing machine to be the first brand new machine I've ever had! I haven't been sorry.
It's attractive, very light and sews like a dream. Now I understand why people enjoy sewing.
I've sewn something almost every day since purchasing.
on May 28, 2013
I purchased a Fashion Mate and was entirely please with it. Amazon delivered it quickly and it was very easy to use, with features I was not used to on my old-fashioned set. Automatic threader! Thread trimmer! So great.

BUT, it stopped working after almost exactly 12 months of moderate use (a few days per month). The repairs were to cost about as much as the machine. I thought, fine - I enjoyed the use of this machine and it is such a reasonable price, I'll just replace it.

The second machine I used more heavily. Almost exactly 12 months later, it just stopped working. Again to the repair shop, with the same result. My shop told me that at this price level, Singer just can't afford good computer components.

This style is a dream to use - for one year. Then you'll either need to replace the computer components (about $100) or replace your machine.

After this, I'm looking for a mechanical sewing machine!
on January 26, 2012
I recently purchased the Singer 7256 Fashion Mate Sewing Machine. As of this date, I am very pleased with the product. Very easy to work with and I love the LED light. I can actually see what I am sewing. I would highly recommend this sewing machine to anyone.
on December 5, 2011
I am new to sewing and I am IN LOVE with this machine. My first projects were blankets and with this machine I got it done in a snap. I cant wait til I get a bit better at sewing so I can use the Flower stitch on this machine. I would highly reccommend this machine to anyone.
on May 10, 2012
My husband picked this machine up for me when it was a gold box deal. I received it in the mail yesterday and have already completed a couple projects. I previously had a Singer Esteem Sewing Machine 1732, a solid machine but it constantly had little hiccups and hangups, even when serviced regularly. I was ready for an upgrade. The Fashion Mate feeds beautifully. I made a diaper liner to test the function of the machine: even without a walking foot (again just testing) all the layers stayed together and the stitches were perfectly even, A+. The electronic controls are intuitively simple. The instructional DVD was all right, but it wasn't specific to the machine it was packaged with so I still needed to read the instruction manual for correct threading procedures. The only feature this machine doesn't provide that I miss is a needle down stop (this model actually does exactly the opposite) to make pivoting easier but otherwise, I am truly satisfied with my new sewing machine!
on September 4, 2012
Read the reviews and the Singer 7258 sounded great. I've sewed for more than 50 years, mostly curtains, simple clothing, and lots of repairs, alterations, etc so I decided to get a machine with more options than the rudimentary machines I had used. First task according to the directions was to wind the bobbin. Follwed directions, but the bobbin did NOT automatically stop winding, just kept slipping against the stop as it continued spinning. Found the automatic neddle threader difficult but finally "got it" and began to experiment with stitches on a scrap of jersey as my first job was to shorted a t-shirt. Settled on a stitch, grabbed the t-shirt and started sewing. I'd only sewed about 10 inches when the feed dog seemed to suddenly stop and the fabric failed to feed, ending up jammed into the hole where the needle goes. Finally had to remove the throat plate with my husband's help to free the t-shirt. Big ball of jammed thread and torn fabric resulted so I packed up the machine and returned it. I've had it less than a week. In all my years of sewing I've never seen this problem - maybe the old machine isn't so bad after all.
44 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse