1,062 of 1,074 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine
The only negative thing I can say about this machine is this: It's so much better than my Singer Esteem II that I'm wondering just how much better an even more expensive Singer would have been. Now that I've realized how much fun a better-than-basic machine can be, I'm starting to covet the machines that will do even fancier stitches and do letters.

With that...
Published on December 2, 2010 by matthew wilson

1.0 out of 5 stars Two Strikes and You're Out
My old machine broke down so I spent weeks researching a replacement. I finally decided to give the Stylist a shot because of the good reviews.

Published on July 19, 2011 by E Harkins

1,062 of 1,074 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine, December 2, 2010
matthew wilson (Bowling Green, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SINGER 7258 Stylist Award-Winning 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine with DVD, 10 Presser Feet, Metal Frame, and More (Kitchen)

With that said, I didn't really need to spend more than I did on this machine. So, I'm perfectly happy!

1. The instruction manual is incredibly detailed. My basic Singer Esteem covered many features so briefly that I really didn't know what I was doing. The Stylist manual even goes so far as to explain many of the included 100 stitches. The machine is pretty self-explanatory to get setup if you've sewed before. But it's nice that any questions you have are probably in the manual and won't require a long Google search.

2. It sews VERY smoothly. And it's so much quieter than my old machine.

3. The option to have the needle stop up or down might not seem like a big deal - but it's SO convenient once you get used to it. I love it!

4. The slider to control the speed of the machine without the foot pedal also gives some speed control when the foot pedal is attached. Although my daughter is too young to sew now, I imagine that being able to limit the foot pedal's speed for a beginner will be a great plus. And when piecing together long strips of fabric, in particular, the ability to sew without the foot pedal attached is a nice luxury. I was afraid it would be scary and hard to stop. But the Start/Stop button is located in a very convenient place, making it easy to stop the machine with your finger that's feeding the fabric through.

5. The stitches are really pretty. To bring back up my old Singer Esteem II - it had some extra stitches that looked quite awful and I wondered why anyone would ever use them. I kind of expected that with this model too, but since I sew mostly children's clothing, it didn't matter a lot to me if anything but standard stitches worked. But I have been very pleasantly surprised. I've already found myself embellishing some items with the pretty choices.

6. Can you believe how many presser feet are included with this machine? Really, that alone is what sold me on it. I compared with other machines that offered all the other features except for the feet, and some were even more money. I'd never gotten to use a ruffler foot before this. No more sewing a long stitch and pulling to create my ruffle - the machine does it for me! I've been experimenting with the embroidery foot. They're all awesome.

7. The ONLY problem I've had with the machine is this: When I have the needle in the setting to end "down", and I stop and need to remove my fabric, and I turn the wheel to move the needle, the thread gets too tight (upper thread) and breaks as I pull my fabric out. I've found that the simple solution is to turn the need to the "up" position, do a quick backstitch, and the thread pulls with no problem.

8. I've had zero problems with the bobbin so far. It is super easy to load. It hasn't jammed (which my old machine did all the stinking time!). And, while the plastic cover over the bobbin compartment originally concerned me because of durability questions, I'm really liking being able to see how much bobbin thread I have left. In my old, front loading bobbin machine, I was always surprised to run out of bobbin thread....often after having sewn a very long time without it (a big pain). Now I can keep an easy eye on it without having to unthread it.

So that's it. I love this machine. If you can afford a much more expensive machine, like $500+, then get it. But if you're looking in the $190-$300 range, this one seems to be one of the best. And if you're just starting sewing, skip the $100 machines and just go straight for this model. It's affordable, and makes sewing seem easier because the machine just does what it should.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, September 13, 2010
I cannot say enough about this machine, it is one of the best ones I have ever used, I have a $1000 Necchi and this one blows that one to bits. It is so smooth and Singer customer service, the best out there. They have almost every Singer sewing machine manual on their website available for a free download. Only Brother is another one to do that. I will not consider another brand because of their great staff. Do not hesitate to buy a Singer and this particular model is just wonderful. If, this is a comeback product for Singer, they are on the right track because sewing is coming back big time. People are sick of cheap clothes, and want quality. You can make your own custom outfits in no time with the new patterns out there. Give it a try!!!!!! You will not be sorry.
I am only disappointed that it does not have a lever to lower the feed dogs, you get a plastic plate to cover them, which can jump. I fixed that by using painters tape to hold it down and then it does not jump. Always make sure that you use the right size needle, ie. denim should be at least a #14 or #16, plus use a product called hump jumper or a jean a ma jig that lets you sew right over a heavy seam flawlessly. I also use a Brother SA 176 J foot that has a button on the side to hold the foot flat and it will do the same thing for heavy seams. It is a snap on foot and works fine with the Singer, most snap ons are universal. I have taught sewing for over 20 years, been sewing for over 50 years and am always looking for tools to make things easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sewing machine, September 3, 2010
I was looking for a new sewing machine after leaving my Kenmore machine with my parents for my Mom to use.

I have had/used Kenmore brands in the past with no issues, so I started out searching for the next Kenmore. During my search the Singer stylist caught my attention. When comparing it to the Kenmore I was considering, it seems to offer a lot more stitch options than a Kenmore for the better price. So decided to give the Singer a try.

First impressions. It's quiet machine, it's small but sturdy. It does the stitches really well and so happy I don't have to worry about adjusting the tension control any more. I love the number of stitch options it offers and gives me the ability to be more creative.

It was very easy to start using, and the booklet has really good explanation to get you started.

The only set back I have so far is the foot press control. It's not as responsive/sensitive as the Kenmore I had before but its just something I will have to get used to.

Would be nice if it came with a solid cover instead of a plastic one.

Overall I would recommend it to anyone that is a starter or intermediate sewer.

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Machine, December 27, 2011
I researched for a long time before making my decision, learning about drop-in bobbins and zipper foots... but of all the reviews I read none of them told me the things I needed to read as a first-time buyer. I'll try my best to do that here:

1. Set up is simple straight out of the box, you plug in the power and the pedal. You turn on the power. Done... Threading time.

2. The instruction manual has three different languages all on the same page, so threading your machine and learning its functions the first time will be a little frustrating. I really suggest watching the included DVD, even though it's not model specific, it does provide a lot of helpful information.

3. The variable speed has proven to be very useful as a first time sewer. I was afraid of pressing the pedal and having the fabric zoom uncontrollably through my inexperienced fingers. However, the lowest speed allows you time to see and understand how the fabric moves through the machine.

4. My husband hovered over my shoulder during my research days incessantly questioning whether this or that model would handle denim. I have not had a chance to sew actual denim but the machine handled 6 layers of cotton fabric - it groaned and struggled slightly but soldiered through it. I feel confident saying that with the proper needle, this machine would handle it fine.

5. The throat plate does have measurements engraved on it so you can line up your fabric for the seam allowance, however, I wish the bobbin cover also had the markings on it. I have to crane forward to see the measurements and my unfamiliar hands end up pulling the fabric sideways.

6. Automatic threader... ingenious! I didn't read my instruction manually thoroughly the first time (too excited!) and I was trying to thread the needle manually. Stop! Auto-thread! :)

All-in-all, coming from someone who had never sewn anything a day in her life and made an apron and a pillow within hours of getting the machine; this is perfection! A wonderful first-time machine and I doubt there will be many occasions where I'd need anything more substantial. I am very, very happy with this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars A FANTASTIC little machine! Best I've found for the price!, May 5, 2013
Some background on me....I'm a sewing machine hoarder! I probably own 20+ working machines of all ages and brands. I have machines from a 1901 working Singer treadle to two Featherweights to several (i.e., over 5) modern computerized sewing machines, so I know my way around a sewing machine and know the importance of a machine that is easy to use.

I teach sewing to a small group of 9-11 year old girls who have very little or no experience with a sewing machine, and i've purchased 8 (so far!) of these machines through Amazon.com. Every single machine arrives in perfect condition and runs beautifully!

This machine is very user friendly, and I have the girls up and running in no time at all! That's very important to a new sew-er because if there are problems with the machine, they will become frustrated right at the start and then could find sewing a chore instead of something fun. No such problem with this machine! My girls especially love the decorative stitches and how easy it is to switch from one to another with the computerized stitch choice panel. This machine has opened the door to my girls' creativity and is building the foundation for a life-long love of sewing and maybe even a way to add to their income in a few years as they sell what they make. They've been making gifts for people from the very beginning. I've even told them that they can sew their wedding dresses with this machine some day!

Another reason I initially chose this machine is the Singer 25 year warranty, something that you don't see in lower-priced sewing machines. But in the year and a half that I've been buying them and my girls have been putting their machines through their paces, I've never had one issue with any of the 8 that we have!

I HIGHLY recommend this machine! I'd give it 10 stars if I could! If anyone gets this machine and has problems with it, then it's most likely a fluke and should be returned. Or it could be something as simple as incorrect threading or bobbin winding. There is one part of the threading that takes a bit to learn, getting the thread in the correct place on the wire guide and how to lay the thread for the needle threader. A little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it will become second nature. if anyone has problems with their Singer 7256, before you return it, feel free to email me and i'll see if i can talk you through the threading!

Happy sewing!

Rita

1.0 out of 5 stars Two Strikes and You're Out, July 19, 2011

The first machine I received worked for three weeks (or 3 minor projects). I sewed a few simple curtains and was pretty happy with how the machine handled. I then tried to shorten a few pairs of capris into regular shorts. They weren't denim or other heavy fabric. I got through the first pair of shorts without a problem but on the second pair the tension stopped working.

I called the Singer customer service number and was told there was a wait. They offer the option of emailing them . . . lol . . . I sent them an email two weeks ago and still have not received any sort of response. Two days after no email response I called them, put my phone on speaker and waited half an hour to talk to someone. You have to wait on a silent phone with a recorded messaged playing every 6 or so minutes telling you someone will be with you.

So half an hour later I explained to the lady that my tension dial wasn't doing anything. The top thread was just sitting on the top of my fabric no matter which way I turned my dial. She told me it sounded like a bobbin issue and that I could take it to their repair shop. No thank you. I hadn't even had it a month.

I sent it back to Amazon and decided to give the Stylist a second chance. It does have many good reviews. Maybe I just got a lemon. The replacement machine was on my doorstep less than 24 hours. I set it up, grabbed the shorts and things just went down hill from there.

The bobbin thread created a nest of thread twice. When it was sewing 'correctly' it would miss one stitch. Less than 20 minutes after I started sewing, the tension dial stopped working. I packed it up and returned it. The second machine wasn't even in my house 4 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, December 29, 2010
I bought this machine because it had generally good reviews, I trust the Singer brand, and it was reasonably priced. We bought ours online at Costco.com for $145 rather than $180. As noted in the responses below, Costco may or may not be selling this item any more. They rotate products frequently so you'll just have to check for yourself.

My first impressions of this machine were that it was light, cute, clean, and didn't look too confusing. Being a novice sewer, I didn't want something that was going to confuse me too much. It took me a few minutes to figure out exactly how the bobbin tension worked but once I got the hang of that, it was cake. I like that the bobbin stops spinning when it's full. Because this machine is a little smaller than the one I learned on, I feel like the actual work space is a little constricted but it's still big enough for me to thread the needle easily and feed fabric through without a problem. My first project was a baby blanket so there was a lot of fabric and this machine handled it effortlessly. I like that the machine automatically retracts the needle when you take your foot off of the pedal, making it so I don't break my needle forgetting to lift it before removing my fabric. I love all of the different stitch options. It makes it easy for somebody like me, who still kind of sucks, to produce a fun, neat looking project.

The only disadvantage I see to this machine is that the pedal is plastic and so is the leaver that lifts the presser foot is plastic and feels a little cheap. It also came with a "cover" that's merely a piece of flimsy plastic film. My toddler tore it without much effort so that's a bummer. I'll be sewing a cloth one soon. Other than those things, I am in love with the machine. It came with all kinds of neat little goodies, like a seam ripper/brush, button hole makers, the automatic needle threader feature, etc. It's just fun. I feel like I want to sew random scraps because it's so much fun to try the different stitches.

Happy sewing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, especially for the price!, April 10, 2012
Bocaboy "BocaBoy" (Boca Raton, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This Singer was for my wife, to replace her ages-old machine. I don't know anything about using sewing machines, but I can tell you that since she got this she's been sewing up a storm! I asked her after she'd had it for a few days whether it sewed buttons on, since that's the one chore I always delegate to her. (OK, shoot me, I don't know how to do it!!) She told me no, then a few minutes later came running into the room to say that, yes, this machine even sewed buttons, not just button holes!

Anyway, I'm a happy camper because she's a happy camper. I wouldn't label my wife an expert seamstress, but she does make her own dresses, and often finds something at Marshall's or TJMaxx that needs an alteration to make it work, and she's great at doing that with this machine. The price was also hundreds of dollars less than others that we evaluated, and this item shipped with Amazon Prime.

I can tell you that now that she's had it for a month, she'd purchase it again. Oh, and lessons for this machine and how to use it are all over YouTube, so there are lots of tutorials to get you over most usage questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it from the first try!, January 14, 2012
Before buying this machine I used an older model of Brother Brand. When the Brother broke down I still wanted something reasonably basic but with a few more capabilities than the Brother had been able to do. I was in no way disappointed in the way this machine stitches and runs. The DVD that comes with it is very well done and gave lot's of good information and ideas. The only things about this machine that might take some getting used to is that the power cord and foot control are seperate whereas on my Brother machine they were all connected in one cord and the foot control is less sensitive than the Brother had ben and has some delays if I take my foot off it and then try to make it go again immediately. Those are not bad things but just something that I will have to get used to. Overall it is a very easy machine to use and it truly stitches beautifully and much better than my older machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality machine, December 19, 2011
LaNae (La Jara, CO, United States) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased this sewing machine because I got tired of having to go to my mom's to use hers. She has an old Singer machine (she wasn't sure of the model because she bought it from a school who was replacing all of theirs years ago) and I just loved it. It was straightforward to use and I could operate it without many hitches. I wanted to find a machine that was comparable to this old one. I'm not an expert sewer, so I didn't need anything extravagant; however, I do know enough of what I'm doing that I did want something that had some neat features.

This one was not as good as the old one - it was MUCH better! It is so easy to use. Threading the machine is a breeze; all the directions are printed on the actual machine. Winding a bobbin is a cinch. I love that there is a built-in thread cutter. Changing stitch patterns is super easy, and you can see an example of what the stitch will look like easily because it is printed right below the keypad. There are a couple of features I really didn't think I would care too much about, but I have ended up loving--the speed control feature, and the needle position feature. The speed control allows you to go as fast or slow as you want. You can set the speed to slow when you have a lot of intricate work to go through and the machine won't "take off" on you because you've pushed the pedal down too far. The needle position feature was also great. With a simple push of a button, the needle will stop in the "down" position so you don't pull material out of line with where you want to be sewing. My husband walked by while I was working on something the other night and said, "Wow that thing is really quiet, aren't they usually a lot louder??" - the machine is SO quiet, and I love that.

The only problem I have with the machine, and thus the 4-star rating (if I could have given it a 4 1/2 star I totally would have), is that it doesn't sew thick material very well. I was making a pair of sweat pants, and when I tried sewing down the waistband, it locked up and beeped. It was pretty dang thick though, and I really don't plan on sewing anything like that very often, so it's not a huge deal for me.

All in all, this is a fantastic machine. I would recommend this for anyone looking for a high quality machine that's simple to use.

UPDATE: I have used my machine so much over the past couple of months, and I still havent had a single problem with it! I still stand by my review that this is an AWESOME little machine!

Rate and Discover Movies