5.0 out of 5 stars Singer confidence quilter
Published on January 9, 2010 by Carol Baum

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners
I have quilted for years on an old 90's Singer and decided to finally move into the 21st Century. Of course the reason I never upgraded was cause I was broke so I thought I would try out the Singer 7469Q - I got it at Jo-Ann's which has a 10 day return!

Published on October 5, 2009 by havalina

5.0 out of 5 stars Singer confidence quilter, January 9, 2010
This review is from: SINGER 7469Q Confidence Quilter Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine (Kitchen)
I have had this machine for a year. Most of the sewing I have done on this machine is quilt piecing, general sewing, and some quilting. One feature that no one has mentioned (as far as I recall) is a special feature that in piecing quilts has saved me much time in piecing. As you begin your seam the machine sews a few stitches and backs up over them, securing the beginning of the seam. When you finish the seam, hit the reverse arrow and it secures the last stitches of the seam in the same way.

The stitches are consistently straight. It also comes with an attachable walking foot. The throat plate of the machine is clear making it visible to see if you are running out of thread.

There are better sewing machines of this type but the price ranges begin somewhere at $1,000. With all the "bells and whistles" this machine has, I would highly recommend it.

August 2014 additional comment. The confidence quilter has a pre programmed button on the front of the machine designating a double needle stitch feature. For the first time this week I put in a double needle and used the program with a double needle. It was amazing. I was very satisfied with the outcome of the two rows of stitching it made. I own several machines and this machine sews with a double needle better than any of them! Double needle sewing should be sewed at a slow to medium speed to have the best results. Test your stitches on a a scrap of fabric you will be hemming. I used it on a
jersey knit, very stretchy and had no problems with it.

This machine has had some bad reviews. I do not doubt that sometimes you buy a machine and its a lemon. Mine hasn't been, so I'm standing on my earlier review that this is a good machine (for the money). If you buy one, have the option of returning it within a week or two. (do that with any machine).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, October 5, 2009

I used this machine to quilt a queen sized wedding chain quilt. I plan on returning it. I have been wanting to upgrade from my early 90's Singer and wanted to check out this one. It feels cheap - for ex. the thread holder is thin flimsy plastic. The LED light is incredibly dim - you need a desk lamp. Also, the stiches don't get very long -- my old Singer you could get long basting stitches which is nice.

It's fussy about the thread - you have to have it threaded just right or it goes nuts - I never had this problem before either.

It does pretty well with free motion quilting -- a little jerky but after an hour or so I had gotten used to it and could do some attractive stitching.

Over all, I think this is a GREAT machine for a beginners - it has all the extras so you can experiment with what feet you like to use, etc. and learn about it. BUT the feet are flimsy. It's not a work horse like my old machine.

I would say, if you make more than 2 quilts a year, upgrade. If you just want to make a few baby quilts, this is a great economical option for you, it would probably last great under light use -- I use mine so much I"m worried about breaking it and am going to suck it up and pay a bunch of money for a nicer machine.

3.0 out of 5 stars A satisfactory machine for the money!, April 1, 2011
Note: My rating is 3.5 stars.

Oh, how I wanted a new sewing machine! My old one (to remain nameless) gave me fits with its unreliability and need to be repaired time after time. At Christmas, with a Christmas bonus in hand and a great sale at my local fabric and craft store, I bought the Singer Confidence Quilter Machine with its characteristic gold front.

It was a great deal for the money. However, I packed it up after two days and returned it. The instruction book does not have a section for the machine's quilting aspects. Imagine promoting a machine as a Quilter and nothing of explanation! For that, I deduct one star. Unfortunately (yet fortunately), the store would not take the machine until my check cleared the bank.

In frustration, I took it home, unpacked it, and decided I would learn to use it despite a lack of instructions. I did find something on u-Tube, but really, shouldn't a company have a special section or even manual of explanation for a machine named as a Quilter?

OK, I'm repeating myself in order to make a point. Although this lack is a serious flaw concerning the machine, there is yet one more negative: You have to reset the stitch regulator every time you turn on the machine. The stitch length is set at 2.5. I don't want such tight stitches, so I reset to about 4 each time. So, like driving, once you get into a habit, you really don't think about it. You just do it!

Now for the positives:
1. The price I paid was incredible. This is regularly a $499 machine for which I paid less than $300. That's a fantastic price (sale plus teacher discount card at my fabric store). For the money I have a reliable machine.

2. My favorite thing (which is not standard on all machines) is the "needle up-down" feature. When I make totes, I NEED that down position to keep the needle in place for curves and turns.

3. It is so easy to thread, easiest of all machines I've used over the years!

4. It has a needle threader. I cannot always make it work, but that's probably my fault. In fact, after I changed this last needle, I can't get it to take the thread. Hmmm, the needle?

5. The drop-in bobbin is so easy to thread into position! Really easy! Plus the plastic window allows preparation for an emptying bobbin.

6. The bobbin winder is twice as easy as my last machine.

7. I like the quality of stitches because they are even on top and bottom. They are not beautiful as the ones made by my mother's expensive machine, but they are totally satisfactory. For the price, I'm happy.

8. The extension table holds that bulky quilt to help prevent drag. I love the table (although there is a bit of vibration).

9. The removable part around the needle plate to allow sewing of tight things like sleeves or small garments. Brilliant!

10. The tons of stitch types--so fun to use and experiment with!

11. The bed is longer than the average machine, allowing a rolled quilt to go through the opening. Aha, Quilter's Machine!

12. The machine comes with a packet of three quilting feet (again no explanation of how they're used or what they're for, but u-Tube showed me).

I must mention one other negative: the little LED light is too weak and not placed in the right place. But I added a lamp to my sewing area and I'm fine with it. In fact, I don't even think about it any more. That driving analogy again!

Overall, for the money and all the wonderful features, the Singer Confidence Quilter Machine is an excellent buy. Although I cannot have those top of the line machines, I'm quite pleased with this one.

Addendum: This is written on March 15, 2013 after two years of Singer ownership. Recently, I had the opportunity to sew on a $1700 machine, a competitor. I was thinking of replacing my Singer. After three hours, I came to the conclusion that I could not tell the difference between the two machines. Now that's saying a lot!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a GREAT machine, December 18, 2009
I got this machine at a great price at Joann Fabrics. What is great about it is it comes with the extended table which is shown in the pictures, the walking foot, which is pretty expensive to buy separately, the 1/4 inch foot, and other quilting accessories, as well as multiple other snap on feet.

I got home, took it out of the box, popped the DVD which comes with the machine into my computer to see how to thread the bobbin (very simple), thread the needle (can be tricky) before I did any damage to the machine! I did both just fine.

This sewing machine is very quiet compared to my Huskystar 215. I tried out some of the stitched by simply touching the up and down buttons. Everything else adjusts automatically. There is a small pull out tray under the right side that pulls out with all of the stitches listed on it which is very convenient.

I like the automatic needle threader, drop in bobbin, and needle up/down features myself. You don't realize what you don't have until you do have it, I guess!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you love quilting and you're on a budget..., October 27, 2010
I bought the Singer 7469Q Confidence Quilter because my old machine is on its last leg and I want to do free-motion quilting. I am very pleased with the Singer Confidence Quilter's ability to do free-motion quilting as well as regular and decorative stitches. The extension table allows smooth movement of a large quilt sandwich so the machine can be used on top of a normal table. I chose this machine because I love quilting and it was the most affordable one with feed dogs which can be lowered and programmable needle up/down, and they work fine. I haven't used the twin-needle or buttonhole features yet.

I like the presser feet that came with the machine. I have used the all-purpose foot for piecing and the even-feed foot and closed-toe darning foot for quilting. Since this machine was sold as a "Quilter" it would have been nice if it also included an open-toe darning foot as that is the main foot used by most free-motion quilters.

The most disappointing thing is that LED light is so dim, it is like trying to sew in the dark. I mounted a $35 "Bendable Bright Light" onto the sewing machine and it works great. I would have preferred to pay a little more for the sewing machine to have a decent light built-in. But, I highly recommend Singer Confidence 7469Q Quilter especially for frugal quilters. Even though I had to purchase a light, the Confidence Quilter is still an excellent value. It performs well and costs less than my 1983 Kenmore did. Since I didn't pay an arm and a leg for the sewing machine, I can still afford to buy some fabric.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need, and easy to boot., October 23, 2008
Erica Paris (Denison, TX, USA) - See all my reviews
I had never sewn anything before in my life, but I wanted to learn. This sewing machine came with a DVD to explain how to thread it. It was very easy to thread, wind the bobbin, and put the bobbin in. I do wish they had given me a bit more info on what each foot is for and what each one looks like. I guess they assumed that I'm less clueless than I actually am about sewing.

I've got absolutely no complaints about the quality of the machine. When I first brought it home, I was playing with it, and got a huge rat's nest of thread stuck behind the dog feeder. The machine came with a small flat piece of metal, that (with absolutely no instruction from anyone) I was able to figure out was to be used to unscrew the face plate, and get everything cleaned out. I was able to fix it and get back to sewing within about 10 minutes.

It comes with two trays (sorry, I don't know what they're called). One is a larger tray that's good for holding large projects like a quilt. The other tray is small and compact, but it's my favorite as it has a small compartment that is perfect for holding the extra feet, needles, etc.

Complaints: The "automatic threader" is a joke. I have tried to use it to thread the machine about 50 times, and can not figure it out, despite watching the DVD instructions on how to do it. The light is not very bright, so expect to have a lamp over your sewing area. The bobbin window pops out completely, and is very easy to misplace (which I do every time I have to change the bobbin.) I wish there was better instructions on how to use the feet.

Also, not really a complaint, but a side note... I don't use the larger tray much, so it takes up a lot of storage space in my limited sewing area, which is something you might want to think about if you have a very small work area too.

Compliments: This machine is so super easy to thread, and sew. It has all the feet you need to do all your projects (if you know how to use them). I love the compartment in the smaller tray, to hold all the small stuff. It has 4 or 5 very pretty stitch patterns that look really nice on a quilt. The machine and light never get hot to the touch, no matter how long I use it. And if you do manage to screw it up (luckily this doesn't happen often) it's super easy to fix. Its default setting has the needle always stop in the up position, so you don't have to manually lift the needle every time you switch squares on a quilt.

All-in-all, a wonderful machine, but perhaps better for someone who knows what they're doing, or is able to take a sewing class or two. Even if (like me) you've never sewn anything at all, if you just want to use the default settings, it's delightfully easy. 4.5 stars. =)

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, March 14, 2011
I'm a beginning sewer and I've had this machine for four months now. So far I've made a shower curtain and two pillow cases with a cotton/poly blend and 1 thin cotton pillow case, plus fixed canvas curtains that were ripped in my home. I've also played around with all of the neat stitches, testing them one by one on some remnant cloth, and I've even been able to figure out the button-hole feature with the help of the manual. It was my first time switching the foot and the needle, but I was able to read the directions and do it in less than half an hour, plus a little extra time for practice before I did it on the actual material. The buttons are easy to use and the stitches are simple to switch with the push of a button--I was worried about this since I'm not great with technology--but it really couldn't be easier.

My experience has been nothing less than fabulous with this machine. The settings are easy for a beginner to use, the extra length of the add-on arm is great for longer items, and it comes with all the attachments I need when I'm quilting (I'm a beginning quilter but haven't used this machine for it yet--I completed my first quilt on an awesome old borrowed Kenmore), and I've found that the straight stitching is just as good as the fancy stitching when using regular materials.

I heard good and bad reviews for this item, with some people saying it was awesome for quilting and others saying it couldn't sew a straight stitch properly. After a crash and burn with the Singer Simple (that couldn't even sew through thin cotton without getting gnarly), I decided the Confidence Quilter was my next route!

Also, one fun fact that I didn't know when ordering: Not only does this machine have the extension arm, but it comes with the regular-sized attachment too in case you don't really need the extension table for the project you're working on. What a great surprise! I was worried that it wouldn't be able to fit into my Singer carrying case, but with the regular attachment it fits just fine.

If you're still not sure, your local JoAnn's may have one you can try out with the help of an associate--that's where I first used a Singer (although it was a Curvy and in my opinion not as user-friendly as this machine).

No complaints--I highly recommend this machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, July 20, 2011
I received this sewing machine today. I have sewed most of my life and quilted for 21 years, and I love this machine so far. In less than two hours I have tried almost every function, and have understood and mastered just about all. The directions were very clear. The quality of this machine compares to my last machine....a janome. I cannot wait to try the stitches to enhance my quilts!

Great value for the price!

1.0 out of 5 stars Singer has unreliable Customer Service, January 9, 2011
I came here to read the reviews for this machine and it looked like this was the machine for me so I bought one in November. After one week the machine started squeaking really loud. I figured I would live with it and eventually have it looked at to see what could be done. It was annoying but seemed to be something that I could take care of myself.

Then three weeks later, the foot pedal stopped working right in the middle of sewing. Dead as a doornail. I called Singer for help. No answer all day. Then I emailed them. No answer. Then a few days later I went to their website and contacted them from there. No answer for a day. Then I received a canned email saying they would get back to me in 3 days.

More than a week went by with no response. So, I boxed it up and returned it to the seller I bought it from. The seller's service was GREAT. Had my refund in 3 days. I just heard from Singer a few days ago...I had already returned the machine by the time they responded. They told me to take my machine to the nearest Singer repair shop (which is more than an hour away). I think they could have just offered to send me a new foot pedal...seems simple to me...my data is on file since I registered the machine on their data base. This seems like very poor customer service to me. I went with another machine of a different make.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointed in Singer, October 13, 2010
I bought this machine for myself for Christmas. I had put it off for a long time, knowing that any new machine would not be as sturdy or reliable as my old Singer. But I really wanted to do free-motion quilting, and on my old machine you couldn't drop the feed dogs. All my worst fears were realized. Right off the bat, the thread take-up lever was bent and hit the casing every time it moved up and down. Clackety clack clackety clack the whole time. Because I was anxious to get started, I just removed that part of the case. But many other features disappointed - it is not possible to start a seam at the edge of the fabric, the fabric becomes wedged in the plate and won't move forward. This also applies to the back-up feature. And because the back-stitch is electronic and not manual, there is often a lag between front and back stitching. It is impossible to get the stitches to an even length - they are consistently squeezed together regardless of what tension is selected. At first it was very difficult to drop and raise the feed dogs as the lever was very stiff. Now the feed dogs will not raise at all and I have to find out how and where to get it repaired. As others pointed out, the light is ridiculously tiny and dim. The bobbin threader is very temperamental; often the thread will wind below the bobbin and have to be pulled out and started again. It is very a very ungainly process to change presser feet - for most a screw driver is required. Because the stitch length and width selection are manual, it is very difficult to get a precise setting to match previous stitching. The pedal is not at all sensitive, so it is very difficult to regulate speed. My old machine at least had two speeds you could start with; this one does not.

The one good thing I can say about this machine is that the needle-threader is great. As long as you have the handwheel turned so that the needle hole is in the proper position and the little barb sticks through the hole, it works every time.