5.0 out of 5 stars Best read out loud, lots of fun, sometimes shocking.
My wife and I read (and enjoyed) this book independently, but we had the most fun sitting around and reading each other our favorite quotes. It would probably be good for sharing at family gatherings, too- but be aware that it's not all G-rated. Some of the quotes are quite shocking.
Published on January 31, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but not all it's cracked up to be
Published on May 24, 2001 by Shawn Brock

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read out loud, lots of fun, sometimes shocking., January 31, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said (Paperback)
A lot of the quotes are syntactically incorrect but still make sense (many of the ones attributed to Yogi Berra and Samuel Goldwyn are like this). These generally aren't as good as the others, which are mostly malapropisms, mixed metaphors, and non-sequiturs.
Most of the mixed metaphors, strangely, are from obscure United Kingdom political figures, while the hands-down king of non-sequiturs is President George Bush. You will not believe some of the totally bizarre things this man is quoted to have said- in public, no less!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, not perfect, February 3, 1998
This review is from: 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said (Paperback)
In compiling this book, the authors obviously went through quite a bit of research, adding heavily to the book's quality. The misstatements were generally fairly bizarre, and there's always at least one laugh-out-loud line every page or two. Some "stupid things" did make sense (a bit), and maybe should not have been put in. Language was a little rough, but otherwise, excellent choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh Out Loud, April 19, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said (Paperback)
I loved the calendar "The 365 Stupidest Things Ever Said" -- so when I found out there was also a book by the same people, I had to get it -- and it didn't disappoint me! These quotes are hysterical! A great variety here -- from politicians to celebrities, from current figures to historical ones. It's a lot of fun -- although it's a lot like potato chips....you can't stop reading these quotes!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but not all it's cracked up to be, May 24, 2001
Shawn Brock (Fairborn, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said (Paperback)
The book's promo implies that it is a collection of blunders by famous people. This is partly true. There are some interesting malapropisms and other goofs from famed people, but there are also a lot of obscure, random entries from nameless or otherwise unknown people. For example, some quotes are credited to, "An Irish Politician" or other nameless people.
In summary, some aspects are entertaining and the book is unique. For quote fanatics, it is worthwhile addition to your collection if you have the money to spare.

2.0 out of 5 stars You'll especially love it if you're a liberal ;), December 10, 2009
This review is from: 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said (Paperback)
We chuckled every now and then, but it quickly became obvious that the authors seem to think that only conservative politicians say stupid things. I've read about 75% of it and haven't read one "stupid" thing said by a notable liberal politician (there's probably 1 or 2 in there), but I've read at least 30 "stupid" things said by conservative politicians. There's also plenty of quotes to insult you if you aren't pro environment, etc. The book is a product of our opinionated and divided times. I own several books on quotations, and find the better ones to be more ageless. Keep shopping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, February 25, 2014
This review is from: 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said (Paperback)
Very funny book; also very interesting for history/trivia/political lovers. My second copy. The first was lost when lending it to a friend.

3.0 out of 5 stars stupid, June 6, 2013
This review is from: 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said (Paperback)
You can only take so much of stupidity, I guess, before it gets old. Good bathroom book. If you like that sort of thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars And I didn't say any of them, August 27, 2006
This review is from: 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said (Paperback)
Since they're a married couple, I know they had fun. "Hey honey, listen to what THIS moron said?" "Oh yeah, well, how about THIS moron?" LOL and giggle giggle.

I don't mean to belittle them. I like this book. They chose quite well, and they did a whole lot of research. I bet it was hard for them to limit themselves to 776 stupid things, so we got the stupidest.

(I can probably say 776 stupid things before breakfast, but let's leave that discussion for another day.)

Don't you remember going to the library and finding a good collection of quotes to enjoy when you just weren't in the mood to digest a novel or something? Great reading on buses, when working as a security guard, waiting in line at the bank, whatever. I read this one a second time and recognized a few that I stole for my very own website.

And that, alas, maybe why this type of book is a dying breed. The Internet. We all compile our own lists of quotes now. Why buy theirs? It's not like these things can really be copyrighted, since all quotes must by definition come from other sources. But hey, it's easily portable if you want to read it in the places I named above. It's a good collection, and it's much larger than what tends to appear on websites.

1.0 out of 5 stars top 2 on 776 stupidest ways too waste time and money, September 30, 2009
This review is from: 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said (Paperback)
dumb. Not funny. Not interesting. weirdly put together. Don't waste your time like I did. Tried reading at least 3 times, so not worth it!

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the stupidest ideas for a book I have ever seen, February 13, 2007
This review is from: 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said (Paperback)
Pliny said that there is no book so bad that there is not something good in it. So I suppose one can find something not stupid in this book i.e. some thing that might provide mild amusement to the reader. But on the whole the idea of the book as well as its contents seem very much like a waste of time.
Another point. I find it kind of 'low' and 'stupid' laughing at the stupidities of others, mainly when they consist in small mistakes of language and grammar.

776 Stupidest Things Ever Said
776 Stupidest Things Ever Said by Kathryn Petras (Paperback - March 1, 1993)
$11.00 $9.35