5.0 out of 5 stars Compare XS-Pro with Nano vs Non-XS-Pro
I now own two of these filters (77mm and 67mm), and one non XS-Pro that has no nano coating B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating (010M). I would recommend going for this one. After comparing the two types of B+W UV filters I decided to bite the bullet and pay the substantial premium and wanted my third filter to be XS-Pro.

Bottomline: Despite...
Published on July 4, 2012 by K. Chua

Published 12 months ago by AmylovesJason

5.0 out of 5 stars Compare XS-Pro with Nano vs Non-XS-Pro, July 4, 2012
K. Chua "KChua" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: B+W 77mm XS-Pro Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (010M) (Electronics)

Bottomline: Despite higher cost, I would recommend buying this XS-Pro filter because:

1. It's slightly thinner (so it does not cause vignetting even with my 28mm lens)
2. It's nano coating is useful... it is very easy to clean
3. It allows filter to be on it unlike some ultra thin filters

How I tested it? Sorry to be crude but I put finger prints all over the filter, and some saliva to simulate real time dirt/oily fingers and water. Cleaning the filter with tissue paper or cotton cloth (instead of lens cloth). It took me about 10 seconds to wipe clean the XS-Pro, and took me almost a minute to clean the Non-XS-Pro and still have some murkiness on it. When out in the field, I think this is important.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality but not Clear, March 7, 2012
I've always bought Hoya filters for my previous Canon gear, but this time I tried B+W 72mm for my new Sony 16-50 f/2.8 lens. The moment you open the box, you realize it is different than Hoya. It is heavier and the glass looks thicker. The coating is fantastic and the thread is easy to screw. I couldn't test the MRC new "Nano" coating, because I did not shoot in the rain, but I will take B+W word for it. Remember there are two versions, and only the Nano version gives the lotus effect. MRC version--without Nano--only has multiple coating layers.

The negative part is that it has a yellow tint to it. In other words, it is not clear. I was confused with the word "clear" in the title, but I guess I had to pay more attention to the "haze" word as well. I was looking for a color-free filter, and this 010m filter is kind of a yellowish haze. The clear version is coded 007 or 007m. In Schneider website they list it as 007, without M, but in Amazon it is listed as 007M: B+W 72mm XS-Pro Clear with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (007M).

I once read somewhere that your expensive lens is only as good as the filter you use in front of it. Therefore for highest image quality, you should either get the best quality filter you can afford or use the lens without any filter at all. Going with either version of B+W gives you that kind of image quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Filter with Design Flaw, September 17, 2011
-Ashi- (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very high quality filter. When it arrived, I felt all excited. The hefty weight of the filter, despite of being a small 49mm filter, makes you feel this is a quality product. Its brass mount with quality paint job can last for a long time (I never realized how important that was until I got a Heliopan.... Paint loss shows brass underneath, and I can't recognize the filter rating of my GND filter. The filter has always been kept in a pouch like all my other filters, Hoya, B+W and Sigma. Heliopan is the only one with the problem). The glass is mounted very sturdily and doesn't rotate around when you clean it. Yes, the nano coating does make the cleaning easy as described.

So why no five-star rating? Well, once you have this filter on, you can't use a push-on lens hood or a cap of that type. It's either lens hood OR filter, but not both. For example, when I put this filter on my Olympus OM mount 35mm f/2.8, the original rubber lens hood (for 50mm f1.8/1.4 and 35mm f2.8), the wider than usual outer diameter of the filter prevents the push-on hood (with thumb screw type) from mounting. I think the reason B+W makes it that way is because they want to put the filter label toward the front of the filter (where they mount the filter lens, the "frame" if you will call it) rather than on the outside rim of the filter. It does make the label look nice and not scratched up easily like Heliopan's, BUT it creates the problem mentioned above. To make the matter worse, I store my 49mm filters using stacking caps, and you can't see the labels until you remove the filter cap. The same problem will apply, if you used a filter case that fasten onto your belt type. If you have multiple B+W filters, you'd have to guess which one is which.... Not a good way to encourage sales. They should label it on the outside rim in addition to the front frame, if they want to do it that way (the front label is good for filter wallets).

Cost.... It's almost twice as expensive as Hoya HMC. Though this is more in the same league as Hoya HD (though I am not happy with Hoya HD as its glare performance is actually worse than Hoya HMC despite of its easier to clean HD coating and light transmission properties). However, the cost could be justified, if it wasn't for the flaws mentioned. FYI, you can test your filter by pointing your camera toward bright moonlight and see if it would cause any glare. It's an effective high dynamic lighting torture test which won't damage your camera. I recommend doing this with a digital camera, as you don't have to waste films for taking sample photos of glare performance).

Work around:
If you want to use both filter and the lens hood at the same time, you can't use the original Olympus one (or the brand of your lens) unless its mount diameter is wider than 52mm. That extra 1mm creates a huge problem..., as you can't store the lens hood in reverse position either. Fortunately this filter has a front thread, so you can use a generic screw-on filter for it, and then buy a cap that will fit the front of the lens hood for protection (a generic hood usually can't be stored in reverse, and you don't want to screw on and off the hood from filter as they tend to "couple together" easily). The downside of this work around is, you'll need a larger bag because your lens is now longer. And if you have a pride of your lens, you won't able to show the brand logo anymore because you're not using the original lens cap anymore. You could, however, buy the B+W hood and use their own Schneider Kruznach lens cap (Jos Schneider is B+W's mother company), so at least the front of your lens (filter/hood/cap) comes in a set....

Pros:
Nice built-quality. Quality materials used.
Easy to clean nano coated filter as designed.
Slim mount lessens vignette effect, but still retains front thread.

Cons:
Filter too wide. Prevents other lens accessories from working properly.
Filter label in the a place that is inconvenient if you use filter stacking caps for storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was skeptical about this "nano" coating until I got one., May 6, 2013
So I've owned a few B+W filters. Clear UV, Circular Polarizers, Kaessman variants, etc. I just recently picked up a 70-200mm f2.8 IS II and wanted to make sure I had something to protect that front element.

Before the review I'm just going to say that I'm not going to argue with people about using a filter on a lens and optical quality and all that. We all know putting something in front of a lens is going to diminish image quality in some form or way. However at the same time I'd rather replace a broken filter than a broken lens.

With that out of the way, lets get on with it.

Pros:
- It's clear (to those whining about yellow tint, check your white balance).
- It's slim.
- It's light.
- It has that "strong/durable" feeling you'd expect from B+W.
- Nano coating makes cleaning easy.

Cons:
- It's expensive. But to be honest, you already knew that.

As for the "XS-Pro/Nano-Coating" thing. It makes the filter more expensive and to be honest, I would say it's a waste on anything but an upper level lens or if you're doing outdoor/rainy photography (which means you're probably using an upper level lens since they're usually weather sealed). The nano coating literally makes water just slide off. Cleaning/wiping dust off the filters is simple and rain just rolls right off.

Personally I don't mind the extra expense of the XS-Pro version. It is definitely easier to clean than the others and is probably one of those things you'll put on once you get a lens and leave on until it either breaks or you sell it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 77mm Fit well with my canon L lens., February 13, 2013
Filter is light and thin. Excellent quality and better than my Hoya UV pro SHM filter.
I have tried this filter on my Canon 24-70/f2.8L and 70-200/f2.8L. I have no issue on putting the lens cap or the hood. I have read other user having issue with the lens cap and the hood. If you own those two canon L lens, don't worry ! It works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Filter Compared to Heliopan, November 3, 2012
Length:: 0:34 Mins

This B+W filter is simply amazing, heavy duty construction, beautiful glass, perfect threads, and it adds almost no flare to my pictures.

Opening the box, it is clear this filter is special. The brass ring is coated in beautiful flat black paint. The whole assembly has a heft to it that just cries out quality. The threads are cut perfectly and screw into my lens with ease. The Canon 77mm lens caps fit and hold perfectly with these filters. This is an expensive filter, and from the superficial alone it seems worth the money.

This filter is supposed to be coated with 8 layers on each side, which will reduce flare, and resist water. The coating does look exactly like the front element of my lens. From the test that I ran, this filter performed the best in not adding a significant amount of flare to the image. See the end of this review for an explanation of the video.

After renting pro level lenses, I decided to purchase two new Canon lenses, f 2.8 70-200mm II and f 2.8 24-70mm. These are expensive lenses that have fluorite front elements, so they are very hard and almost impossible to scratch. Given the cost, I decided a UV filter is probably a good idea for insurance. The problem is which filter to buy. I own Tiffen and Hoya filters, and have had good luck with them. But this new level of lenses, it made no sense to use a poor piece of glass in front of these lenses.

This is a beautiful but expensive filter.

I decided to do an extremely difficult test of a set of filters and flare. I set up my Canon 7D and Canon f2.8 24-70mm zoom lens at 28mm, pointed at a black card in a dark room. I aimed an LED flashlight directly at the lens from the lower right hand corner. This is probably the worst case scenario for creating flare in an image. I took successive pictures with no filter and then the test filters. The video shows the results.

I was surprised how little flare this lens had in this particular test - this is one very well coated and baffled lens. The best filter in the test was the B+W XS-Pro Clear UV Haze filter. It generated a very small amount of additional flare in the corner and a very tiny amount in the middle of the image. Compared to the Heliopan, which came in second, both filters performed remarkably well. The B+W filter is about half the price of the Heliopan, so I would go with the B+W. For comparison, I tested two less expensive filters I had on hand. The Tiffen UV Protection filter added two big areas of flare. The Canon UV Haze filter fared the worse with a lot of big flare blobs added to the image.

This test simply says, if you own an expensive lens, it makes no sense to put an inexpensive filter in front of that lens.

Heliopan 707711 77mm UV SH-PMC Filter

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Quality Control? Dusty upon opening and 2 in a row had small scratches visible when looking closely under bright light, August 20, 2013
I don't know what's going on, but I have about 5 B+W pro uv filters for my various lenses. I was very happy in the past, but this time I've received 2 that had noticeable dust when first opened and both had small scratches near the edges when looking very closely under a bright light. I suspect the scratches won't affect image quality to a noticeable level, but when I pay a premium for these filters, I expect perfection...no dust and no scratches. Also, the first one I received had a broken seal. So I may only be able to blame B+W for one dusty/scratched filter since the second shipped filter was factory sealed. I emailed Amazon about this asking why they would send me a dusty/scratched/previously opened filter in an order with my $2300 lens!! C'mon guys.

I don't want to keep either, but kept the better one since I don't have time to deal with this issue anymore.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality Control Issue!, December 27, 2012
I'm not sure if it is a B+W problem or Amazon problem. I have never had any problems with B+W MRC filters before. The filter performance is great with minimal internal reflections and very tolerable flaring. My recent orders of B+W filters from Amazon all have the same problem, tiny but long linear micro-scratches on the surface of the filters. When I hold the filters at an angle to light, many times I can spot the scratches (2-3 long 5-8mm ones) on parts of the filter surface. The XS-Pro series should be better than the regular MRC version, but bear the same problem. If you are lucky, the scratches are to the side of the filter glass and out of the range of your lens, but if you are not lucky, it is in your shooting zone. It is hard to spot a difference in the photo quality with these tiny scratches, but the scratches for sure lowers the photo quality a bit and create more unwanted reflections within the glass than it should. One would expect a better quality from renowned B+W.

4.0 out of 5 stars sturdy, April 5, 2014
it's sturdy and protect the lens well. Not that easy to screw and unscrew
does the job well.
expensive though

1.0 out of 5 stars Filter is used previously, September 28, 2012
I have had nothing but bad experience with the B+W filters that amazon sells. I have bought 7 of these in the past 2 months and 6 of them showed marks of prior use. These marks include scratches on the outer ring, marks of another filter being attached in the inner ring, white paint/chemical type of material that don't go away that is on the coating itself, and scratches on the filter. One even had orange/brown colored rust like material inside that wouldn't go away. It is more than just coincidence to me and I am sick and tired of exchanging these filters. All of these filters were either sold or fullfilled by Amazon.com, they were 72 or 77mm ones. People need to be aware of this.

Rate and Discover Movies