Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now STEM

VINE VOICEon April 2, 2008
Fires are being set to homes of the wealthy, leaving the residents dead. Detective Lindsay Boxer and her partner, Rich Conklin, are trying to find the murdering arsonists when they get a tip on another prominent case. The case involving the disappearance of Michael Campion, the son of a former governor, has been at a standstill but an anonymous tipster provides a new lead. Soon, Boxer and Conklin have a confession, but will it stand up in court? Women's Murder Club member and Assistant District Attorney, Yuki Castellano, will have the case of her life as the trial starts. Meanwhile, will Boxer and Conklin find the deadly arsonists?

The members of the Women's Murder Club are at it yet again in 7TH HEAVEN. Each book is written to stand alone although the friendship of these women has grown throughout the series. There are hints about past incidents that fans of the series will appreciate. It should be noted that newcomers to the series will miss the character development that has built slowly throughout the series, as some of the members of the Women's Murder Club only make brief appearances in 7TH HEAVEN.

Patterson and Paetro delve a bit further into Lindsay Boxer's psyche, this time examining her relationship to Joe versus her commitment to work. Yuki's insecurities are also examined as she is up against a female attorney not known for losing. Will these two members grow stronger as they face adversity?

James Patterson and Maxine Paetro deliver another fantastic thriller with 7th HEAVEN. The fast pace will have readers rapidly turning pages to see just how things will unfold. 7TH HEAVEN is yet another hit from these two talented authors and is easily recommended.

COURTESY OF CK2S KWIPS AND KRITIQUES
on March 14, 2008
I have consistently read James Patterson's books throughout the years and have really enjoyed his work. I have read all of the Womens Murder Club books. However, I am not a big fan of his books which he writes with other writers. Neither story seems complete to me. It seems like Patterson just writes his part of the story but never really finishes it and the other writer adds his bit but doesnt actually finishes his story either.

I found this book a confusing read. Patterson wrote the thriller part of the book I would assume but, in the end, he left the reader hanging. I assume Paetro wrote the human interest story in the book. The end of this story was unsatisfactory too. Patterson is too good a writer to keep doing this.

Recently , I read one of his other books, "Step on a Crack" and it was even worse than this. Both stories left the reader hanging.

If I had known, I would not have bought these two books new. I would have waited to get them for 50 cents at a sale. They are not worth their price. The stories are just not up to Patterson's usual standard. He can do much better.
on February 18, 2008
I have read most of Patterson's books (about 95%). Patterson really dissapointed me with his most recent Cross books (my husband jokes that the latest Cross novels have been entirely written by the lesser-known co-authors).

The problem I have is that Patterson is using this huge font size and what is supposed to be 300-and-some pages, is really more like 150 pages using huge font size. Is Patterson dumbing us down? This last installment of the WMC, while engaging, seemed more like one of those mystery short stories you find at the end of a magazine more than a novel or book. Has Patterson become a magazine short-story writer? Guess the next book will answer that-In the meantime, I suggest reading novels by John Kellerman. The man is amazing with details and with telling a gripping crime story-Kellerman does not cut corners. You can finish a Patterson novel within 24 hrs but a Kellerman book will keep you more busy and if you want to look at it this way, you get more bang for your buck-Patterson's style has become a boilerplate recipe which is nowadays enlightened by the talent of young new writers who co-author his most recent works (in other words, Patterson may truly be fishing while the co-author does all the work as my husband believes). For now, I am reading Kellerman's "Gone" which I recommend and crossing my fingers that Patterson delivers a more substantial novel next time.
on May 28, 2008
I love the Women's Murder Club series better than Cross - mostly because Cross tends to be gorier. But, I didn't enjoy 7th Heaven as much as the other books in the series. There wasn't as much interaction between Lindsey, Claire, Cindy & Yuki as in the other books of the series, and this is one of the things I enjoyed the most in the other books. And, the two stories seemed to drag just a bit, until near to the end of the book. But, when the stories picked up, they picked up in the Patterson fashion that I love.
on February 28, 2008
Although I am and will continue to be a fan of James Patterson, I too agree that his/their books are starting to lack substance. As for 7th Heaven, it is a fast read and keeps you interested; however, there are way too many things that just don't make sense.

I know that the boy that disappeared wanted to have a quality life as long as he could and that is why he disappeared, but at the time of his disappearance no one knew he was seeing the prostitute, so why didn't she go with him when he left? Also, we all know how long it takes to bring a case to trial. It had already been months since he disappeared when the anonyomous tip came in that he had been seen leaving her house. Add that to the time to get the case tried and it would probably be over a year. Why would he not have wondered where she was? She said in the end that they had hatched the plan weeks before he left, and when she was called in for the interrogation she got confused and confessed to killing him. This was just not believable. Especially when she blamed her former boyfriend for the actual dismembering, which of course he would deny and probably had an alibi anyway. Additionally, they never had anything other than a phone call saying he was seen there and the person didn't come forward (it was the author)and they were basing the whole case on that tip? Further, the story about the author is way out there too. He was supposed to be such a renowned author and rich, but yet he was worried over spending the advance on this latest book, so much that he was willing to kill? I know he had a gambling problem, but yet he was living in high style. He told Yuki that he had been following Michael all the time and saw him leave Junie's house, yet if he was following him all the time, he would have seen him leave and go to Costa Rico. Also, what was the kid using for money in his new life? Junie was a prostitute and while she was in jail all that time she was not making money.

It also never really gave a real good reason for why the killers were killing rich people, since they both came from rich families themselves. The neighbors had seen the last boy's family a couple of days before and when they were found in the freezer, they could only have been there a couple of days.

As to Lindsay, it is getting a little weary about her wishy-washy attitude whether she wants Joe or not.

Maybe it is me since I read a few pages a day and not at one sitting, but there were just so many unanswered questions. Any comments out there?
44 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2008
I see I'm in the minority here, but I was terribly disappointed in this entry in the Women's Murder Club series. I did not find it "gripping," as one review said, although I always love to read these books, and I can't in all honesty say I didn't like the book.

I think my problem is that I never engaged. As many reviewers have said, there are two plots here: One about the disappearance of the ex-governor's son, Michael Campion, who is the state's "golden boy" (a la JFK Jr.) with a scary heart condition; and a series of brutal arson/murders that we know are being conducted by two arrogant college students.

The book reels between the two plots, sometimes confusingly so. Our women are all involved in one way or the other: Yuki is trying the case of the young and naive prostitute Junie Moon, who confessed to having Campion die in her arms and subsequently chopping up and disposing of his body. (I found this character completely unbelievable throughout, especially at the end!)

Very pregnant Claire is performing autopsies on the hapless murder/burn victims. Cindy is writing about the Campion case, but is not really a presence in this book. And Lindsay is involved in both cases at once and is being so annoying with her love life, I wanted to throw the book across the room!

I would never say not to read this book, but don't expect the adventure and spine-tingling thrills of some of the others. It's just not here.
on April 14, 2008
i've been a fan of mr patterson's for a long time but i couldn't appreciate 7th heaven. the plot was interesting but the execution could have been sharper. i enjoy the women's murder club books but the stories seem to be getting weaker compared to their previous tales. the ending was actually predictable which is the kiss of death for a mystery.
on June 19, 2009
Reading this one out of order, before 'The 6th Target', didn't help, but even I'd read them in the right order, I still wouldn't have rated this one very highly.
Lindsay's personal life/romantic triangle subplot, tends to dominate the story, and, for the first time in a 'multiple cases' story, neither one of the action subplots is very good. The 'JFK Jr.' rip-off plotline ends up being a waste of time, and the arsonist plot thread is undone by ridiculously corny dialogue, which I guess is supposed to be Patterson's or Paetro's idea of modern slang used by college students. This storyline's use of 'important clues left behind' is just too gimmicky, almost as if Lindsay is trying to track down the Riddler!
This time, Cindy and Claire are in the background, freeing up more time for Lindsay to deal (separately) with the men in her life. The results are unspectacular, but they have to leave something for the next book, after all!
This book continues the recent trends of multiple cases, with at least one ambiguous ending, and Lindsay's personal life being so complicated that not all of the 'Clubbies' get a fair share of the action.
I'd have to rate this one as the second-most disappointing entry in the series, somewhat better than '4th of July', the previous occasion when Lindsay handled most of the action without her pals.
The multiple-author approach has made the series a little uneven, jumping from courtroom theatrics to soap-opera developments, with the quality of the police storylines suffering in recent entries.
I'll just have to hope that the next entry in the series works out some of these kinks.
on June 21, 2014
7th Heaven by James Paterson and Maxine Paetro will hold you interest till the very end. Once again, Sgt. Lindsay Boxer and her partner Insp. Richard Conklin, find themselves trying to understand what is the motivation of a crazed killer, or is it killers? There have been a series of arson fires from Palo Alto to San Francisco. In all cases the people living in old Victorian homes have been left to die. Boxer and Conklin are trying to figure it out when they get a call to report to the chief's office. On arrival they find their lieutenant and the former governor of California, Connor Campion and wife. The Campion's tell Boxer and Conklin that their son, Michael, is missing. They want him found but fear that he may be dead. Boxer and Conklin are told Michael is a teenager with a bad heart. Michael was last seen entering a home of Junie Moon, a known prostitute. Moon is well known to teenagers and young adults for she is only twenty-two years old. Boxer and Conklin go to the home and talk with Junie Moon. Junie is asked about Michael and she admits he was there. She says he died in her arms. Where is the body? Moon tells them and is charged with 2nd degree murder. Yuki Castellano is assigned to try Moon for murder. Where is the body? Where is the evidence? Can she win this case? Yuki is being followed around by a writer, Jason Twilly. He tells Yuki that he is writing a new book about Junie Moon. However, every time Yuki turns around, there's Twilly. It is making her nervous and she tells Boxer. Boxer takes it upon herself to tell Twilly to leave Yuki alone. But does he? Claire, the ME from the coroner's office, is pregnant and expecting a baby. While Claire is in the middle of a procedure to find the cause of death, she goes into labor. Cindy, Chronicle reporter, is in trying to help as much as she can. But can she? The ending of this novel will surprise you. This is a great story to keep you in suspense. Recommended for late teens and adults. Some strong language and very little sex. DP, Castro Valley, CA.
on September 13, 2014
Some people are saying that this book is a waste of money. I dont agree. Look, Patterson is a mystery writer, who, in my opinion has revolutionized the mystery and suspense genres. But at the same time, he writes a very formulaic story. I dont fault him for that. I dont pick up a James Patterson novel and expect to read The Tale of Two Cities or that level of ficiton. That being said, Patterson is a very good writer. However, my one critique would be that I can tell more than one person wrote this book because the voice does seem to change here and there.

A Chance Beginning: Book One of the Shadow's Fire Trilogy