Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The 7th Infantry Regiment: Combat in an Age of Terror: The Korean War Through the Present
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on March 24, 2009
John McManus has a great gift for writing engrossing historical narratives. Don't let the academic title and cover deceive you. His latest book is not some dry academic chronicle of the 7th Infantry Regiment ("the Cottonbalers") from the Korean War to the modern era. It is up close and personal journey with the American infantryman as he struggles to carry out his mission through all kinds of adversity in all kinds of wars.

McManus takes you from the rugged mountains of Korea where seemingly endless waves of Chinese threaten to dislodge you from your frozen hillside foxhole, to the humid, mosquito infested rice paddies of Vietnam where a ghostly enemy strikes suddenly and then disappears. The saga ends with modern day Cottonbalers dispersing from Bradleys to battle insurgents in the heart of Baghdad. McManus not only tells a good series of stories, he paints graphic pictures complete with sights, smells, and sounds.

Throughout the book's subject span of nearly sixty years, the names, the weapons and the geographic settings change, but the unique burdens of the infantryman remain unchanged. McManus reminds the reader that wars are won by an army's ability to capture and hold ground. This is the dirty, thankless job of an infantryman whether he wears a steel pot and carries a carbine, or relies on Kevlar, night-vision, and an M16.

I am looking forward to reading the upcoming "prequel" to this unique unit history. McManus will detail the 7th Infantry Regiment from the War of 1812 to WWII. I expect another round of engaging storytelling where a musket, Springfield, and M1 Garand will be placed alternately into my figurative hands. I also suspect the core theme will remain: the queen of battle is, and always has been, the infantry.
on September 6, 2008
John C. McManus has again written an excellent military history this time with a focus on the a single regiment. As usual, McManus has combined military reports of combat with eyewitness accounts of the soldiers who were there in Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq. While each of these wars occurred for different reasons, in different countries, and with different enemys, the American soldiers of the 7th Regiment served with honor and courage.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who interested in U.S. military history. Dr. McManus is superb historian with the ability to write well and keep the reader's attention. I am looking forward reading the next volume in the story of the 7th Regiment.
on March 30, 2015
I was interviewed with Bravo Co. 3/7 INF. When we returned home after the invasion of Iraq. I was quoted in this book but under another soldiers name. All the details are not written and soldiers who should have been recognized were not. Probably because they were privates. Some of the HEROES were not alone. The writer failed to mention their names and he was well aware of the details. We were voice and video recorded during interviews. This comment is not to take away from the heroes mentioned. This is about the men who stood and fought literally right beside the heroes mentioned. Writer is aware of these men.
on January 16, 2013
My uncle's name was mentioned several times in this book so it is treasured beyond words. The soldiers who served during this time period were true heros and can never be thanked enough for their service to this country.
on July 12, 2009
This is the gold standard of regimental histories and the 7th US Infantry Regiment (currently assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division) deserves it. I found this book more interesting than the first part, which surprised me. His summary of Korea helped me better understand the broader issues of the war (and yes, MacArthur should have been relieved after the line was stabilized in 1951). Vietnam--awesome--as the 7th IR was assigned to the Saigon AOR. Gulf War--great. Iraq War/march up, outstanding!

I thank the author for his work.
on November 12, 2013
Awesome read! You have any doubts about our Military.....read this and you won't any more. Kept my interest at all times. I think I read every single word. Great book!
on February 20, 2015
Intriguing, well researched, well organized
on April 9, 2015
Great book spelt my name wrong but lol
on July 5, 2011
Another book I found for my dad that he has been looking for.. I think Amazon Is very good how they explain the purchase and very easy to understand.. no complaints at all. thank you..
on November 16, 2014