808 Car Key Chain Spy Camera Recorder 720*480 TF - New
Size: old versionColor: Black-808Change
Price:$5.72 + Free shipping

on February 1, 2013
This is the 808 key fob camera, and I received version #3 one of the best (Google for more info). Picture quality is very good considering the incredibly tiny lens - don't expect DVD quality but it's good and not choppy. It is "zoomed in" more than you would think so do a test run or two to become familiar with aiming. I use it to record various activities that my smart and devious Maltese gets into so I'm not particularly concerned with hiding the cam but I can assure you it's discreet if you needed it to be. It does have a small indicator light on the top but luckily it goes out when recording, this should be a given but most of these "spy cams" have a bright LED blinking light when recording (seems counter-intuitive). Speaking of which, here's a quick version of how to operate:

Hold down power button for about 2 seconds, the yellow indicator light comes on and stays on.
To begin recording press the (separate) recording button for about 2 seconds, the yellow light will blink three times then go out, now your recording. VERY simple.

Takes a good 2.5 hours to fully charge, but that's because it has a nice big battery. Mine lasted for 1 hour and 45 minutes of constant recording before depleting. That's LONG for this sort of thing. When I opened the files on my SD card I had 4 automatically saved files...Three were 30 minute clips and one 15. Total file size was about 2.5 GB so buy a 4GB SD card to go with this, 2GB and you will cut short, 8GB is way too much.

Incredible deal for ~$15 shipped...I would pay 2-3x that and still be happy.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 1, 2013
Most people reviewing this poorly probably couldn't figure out how to use it. The instructions are not well written and it took me a little while to figure it out, but once I did it works great!

Hold power on for two seconds until light comes on.

1) Photos : click shutter button once, it will take a photo.

2) Videos: long click shutter button for 3 seconds, it will start taking a video (will start when you let go!). Short press shutter button to stop recording.

In either case, if the light is on, and there is no activity for 20-30 seconds, it will turn itself off. and then you need to turn it on again.

The instructions read that you need to long press for 3 seconds to get it into video mode, then you press once. This is incorrect. The long press for 3 seconds turns on recording.

Hope this helps

Wonderful and cheap camera
on September 17, 2013
This is my third 808 camera. They don't last, but they're cheap enough to replace regularly. The one I received from this seller is a #23. Look for Chuck Lohr's excellent website for information on all models of 808 cameras.

This camera does not produce a date and time stamp on the file, though it has the date and time in the lower right corner of the image. It records video in non-compliant AVI. Not all players will open the video files, but I have been able to use a video conversion program to save the files in compliant AVI format, which adds the current date and time stamp. The frame rate is nominally 30 fps (29.85 in one file), MJPG, 720x480, with audio at 256 kbps and a jitter error of 1 ms. The #23 has a fairly high rate of dropped frames. It can also be used as a webcam. Plug it into the computer and give a quick tap to the power button.

Photos are 72x72 dpi, 1280x1024 pixels with a bit depth of 24.

This will do for now. When it dies, I'll pull the battery, recycle the electronics, and order another from the cheapest seller.

ADDENDUM: Playing videos through the device (i.e., plugging it into the computer) sometimes causes lots of frame drops and stuttering. I have better luck removing the chip and plugging that into the computer to view and/or copy videos.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2014
This is basically a toy. Need do take serious video? Spend some serious money on a serious camera. But if you want a tiny camera that is cheap enough to lose or destroy, and you're willing to accept the challenge of figuring it out as part of the fun, I recommend it. This is the second one I've owned..I accidentally broke the first one. I like to attach these to model rockets; others attach them to R/C vehicles, helmets, glasses, etc for cheap and exciting action videos.

Common complaints and solutions:
1. Doesn't charge: The problem may be the cheap USB cord. I found two other cords that were chargers for old cell phones...they work much better.
2. Won't turn on: It will need to charge for 1.5- 2 hours first. If it's not charging, the problem could be the cord, see #1.
3. Can't figure out how to take videos or pictures: Google "808 keychain camera" and you'll find much clearer instructions and YouTube videos that will help. the buttons take a bit of getting used to.
4. Can't upload videos: It only puts out video in an .AVI format. It can be converted to other formats but that's up to your own software and resourcefulness.

For more information go to [...] This fellow went to a lot of trouble to compile a lot of information about these cameras.
on May 12, 2013
works great for my helis. compact and easy to use . cant be beat for the price . spy cam too
on January 19, 2014
I was skeptical about this when I ordered it, but it came and after I ordered a memory card for it, tried it. The pictures are not the best, but are OK considering the lens is so tiny. It does work and although it looks a little flimsy, has always worked so far.
My friends are truly amazed when I show them and the quality of the shots from something like this.
Now the issues - when it's dark - forget it. You get the sound, but only the lights (and I mean dim, not dark). Sound is pretty good though. And the aim isn't the best - your not sure what your getting until you see it. Also, you have to make sure you turn it off because when you are taking movies, all lights go out so people don't know you're taking a movie and sometimes, you don't hit the button right and you have 10 minutes of video you didn't want. Also, don't think you're going to fool anyone because it's a keychain - people wonder why you're pointing something at them so you have to hide it to video anyone. It is pretty cool and for the money, it's a steal.
on January 31, 2014
Couple of things to know:
1. You have to buy a memory card - from what I've read, it should be Class 4 or higher.
2. I don't think the drivers work on Windows 7 x64.

This product turned on initially and when I plugged the device into my computer, I thought it was charging. A few days later when my memory card came in, I tried to turn the camera on and nothing. I thought the battery was dead so I plugged it into my computer but the light would not come on. Then I noticed in the Windows 7 tray that there was a message indicating that the drivers did not install. I did a lot of searching on the web but the drivers have to be unzipped and the directories/files have Chinese characters and after find 1 site with pretty detailed instructions on installing drivers, I still could not get it to work.

I may try the more expensive versions, but I don't expect any change in results.
on November 16, 2012
Fantastic little video camera for the price. We mounted it to a model rocket and it took a hard landing and still works great. I may purchase another!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 12, 2013
this product never worked. it wouldnt stay on. even after charging it several times. it is just poor quality. considering the price you get what you pay for. go with something a bit better quality
on June 7, 2013
It looks pretty good and the quality looks ok. Great for the price I paid. The instructions are simple and the image quality is good well there is a lot of light. However the image quality and video recoring quality is bad when in the shade or not well lighted areas. So the bottom line is that for the price of this Mini Video hidden car key camera it's ok and it does the job when the light is right.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations