Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

• Customer Reviews

on December 16, 2011
I purchased a Rothco shemagh about 3 years ago and it has just finally worn out. I wore it 5 days a week for 2 and a half years while burying underground cable. Summers are brutally humid and winter can go from 27 degrees in the morning to 67 in the afternoon. Since this garment is cotton and lightly quilted in spots, it's extremely absorbent. It keeps me cooler than any summer hat I have and provides more shade area. This thing would absorb all the sweat I could produce and then air-dry within 10 minutes while hanging over a branch.

I shave my head so I MUST keep the summer sun off my "dome". I own a ton a different hats for all seasons but this is the most comfortable headgear I own. I grant you I wouldn't wear this out to the mall but it's perfect for almost any kind of outdoor activity. I use it balaclava style in winter and it's very effective for keeping the wind at bay and my bald head warm. I would go from balaclava in the morning to neck scarf to sweat towel and back with this single garment. If I'm outside this scarf is around my neck.

I used it once to make a "sweaty" sling for a buddy's dislocated shoulder while in the field. It kept that arm nice, tight, and immobilized. This is a man's answer to a bandanna.

In the time I had this scarf it was washed and dried at least 5 times a week in warmer months and at least twice a week in colder months. Even with the addition of fabric softener sheets it still held up for 2+ years. If you work outside or are into outdoor activities, this is a great piece equipment.
Thanks for the time.
on December 14, 2013
This is a great head scarf. I ordered black/white, and intend to also order the tan/black. The description says it measures 42' by 42' but, after washing and drying (without any fading or bleeding), mine measures 45' by 45'. It can be tied about the head as a regular head scarf, about the neck for warmth, or about the face to protect from blowing sand, blazing sun, pollen, etc. For instructions on how to tie, there are several good videos on YouTube.
review image
33 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2011
I bought a couple of these shemaghs from Rothco, and a couple from another manufacturer. I'm much happier with the Rothco product!

I live in Arizona, and spend quite a bit of time in the desert. These products do exactly what they're supposed to do. They keep the sun and heat off of you, and the sweat on you, in the the summer. In the winter, they're thick enough to be warm, and make great scarves or head covers.

The material is a nice thickness, and soft. These Rothco shemaghs are 100% cotton, whereas some others are poly/cotton blends. I definitely prefer the cotton over the cotton blend. One other minor, but important note. The poly/cotton blend ones have a very loose weave that snags very easily. The weave of these Rothco shemaghs is not nearly as prone to snagging.

I also really like the colors Rothco offers.

A couple of the other reviews have mentioned the size of these shemaghs, saying they're too small (42x42 as opposed to 44x44). I have had no problems with the size of these, and have been able to easily tie them in the traditional manner, covering both my head and face. And I have a BIG head.

All in all, a great product! I now have them in almost all colors offered!
on October 10, 2012
I was surprised at how thin the shemagh was when it arrived, but after perfecting how to put it on I was surprised at how warm it became.
I brought it along backpacking at Glacier National Park in early May where I really learned just how useful it was. Glacier in May is still very cold, it dipped below zero every night and snowed a few times while we were up there. When the sun disappears behind the mountains the temperature drops.
I most often wore it around my neck while still tied in the configuration that I could pull it over as a hood and around my mouth as a mask. When tied like that it provides excellent insulation (hot or cold) and just feels really good. The cotton almost feels like fleece. I often wear it like that for a majority of the day at my cabin.
When you have the mask around your face it blocks wind as well as any single-purpose mask you could ever buy. However, I wear glasses and often those single-purpose thinsulate or any other material masks always, always cause my breath to fog my glasses. I've never had my glasses fog up wearing my Shemagh.
The hood keeps you as warm as a light wool cap, but with the benefit of covering most of your exposed skin instead of just the top of your head. I wear it at night because cold air still gets into your sleeping bag through the hole where your head is. I've found nothing better to stave off that cold than the Shemagh.
Even in the heat, after several hours of backpacking I threw it over my back where my shirts were soaked in sweat and becoming too cool in the sun. It stopped the sun from evaporating too much sweat too quickly and kept the temperature much more even.
When you're not using it, it's light and thin enough to pack anywhere comfortably.

It was great to take along backpacking in the cold and it'll be the first thing packed when I head out next year, and I keep it on me at all times of the day any day of the year at my cabin. It's permanently a part of my cold-weather gear, and I even keep it in my car during the summer for those cold morning commutes. It was worth the $15 or so I paid and easily that much again.
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2010
Shemaghs are great travel accessories. I've used mine to keep sand and sun off of me in Egypt and Jordan, used it as an impromptu blanket in a freezing cold hostel in Singapore. Sure, the "fashionably trendy" scarves might look cool but if you need to keep warm and cool, this is what to get. The quality is first-rate and feels solidly constructed. It hasn't bled or frayed with a few washings. A must for travelers.
on September 4, 2015
So nice to receive a product that is as advertised, the size is correct and accounts for the usable dimensions of the product and does not count in the tassels as part of the measurements like other re-sellers do. I ordered this one and another from a different manufacturer and re-seller. I kept this one and sent the other one back as it was not as advertised, to small, not cotton.

Material is cotton, not a synthetic, soft but I am not sure how durable this is going to be. Thread count should be 125 per inch, this is more like 75, very loose weave, easily snags.

I hand washed and rinsed right out of the packaging bag, picture is the shemagh air drying out on the line. The other two photos show loose weave and manufacture defect in the loom weaving process I would suppose. Contacted re-seller who indicated that they could not take it back because I had already washed it. Well, Amazon satisfaction guarantee trumps that but I will just hang onto this anyway because I really like the light weight of the material and design.

Be cautious however - you may want to spend a few extra dollars and get a tighter weave (thread count / threads per inch) if you really need to have a better dust / sand filter to breath through, and something that will not tear easily if it is pulled across a zipper tap, a goggles strap, or the like.
review image review image review image
on February 14, 2012
This shemagh is tightly woven and easy to breath through. I folded it in half, held it over the mouth of a water bottle, and tipped it upside down...and no water leaked! now to be fair I did use the thicker part of the fabric, and it was folded in half, but still, you would expect water to leak through and none did. It's great to have for camping or backpacking because there are many uses for it. It keeps my face warm when it's cold (I live in Florida, so it doesn't get to cold down here) and it keeps the sun off my face when its warm, although it can make you start to sweat. Like most shemaghs, it is 42in by 42in, and has fringe on two of the four sides. I think this is a nice shemagh and it's one of the more higher quality ones out there, I would definetly reccomend it to any outdoorsy person!
review image review image review image
on March 16, 2015
This shemagh, I bought from "PRETTY GIRL" and it is very thin and practically see through, not only that but it smells like machine oil and when i washed it there was a lot of black dye that came out of it. It still smells of machine oil. The thread is very thin and possibly a cotton poly blend, the design is nice but the quality is very poor. For the price it is not worth returning it back to the seller, who happens to be in china...go figure! I would not buy or recommend this product to anyone. All the people saying this is 5 star quality might have bought from a different seller and must have lucked out, but if you buy from PRETTY GIRL you might be very unhappy. As you can see from my pictures the pattern looks horrible and the lines are wavy. I put an orange sheet of paper so you can get an idea of how much you can see through the garment.
review image review image
on March 31, 2011
This is a good product. However, I ordered the "Desert Sand" color scheme and when I got it, it's clearly yellow, not a sand/tan color. Other than that, very light and easy to manipulate.
on December 29, 2009
I ordered the olive drab from Army Universe, and I was very happy with the arrival time. With standard shipping, it arrived before the estimated time by a day.

The scarf is very large, unfolded while standing up it reaches from my throat to my shins, but this is normal.

It is very warm and very comfortable, and it even has a nice smell.

There was an annoying tag on one of the corners which interfered in folding it but you could probably just cut that off.

I plan on buying more of these from this seller!
66 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse