8701 [Explicit]
Format: MP3 MusicChange
Price:$9.99

on October 15, 2001
Format: Audio CD
First, let me say that I am an Usher fan. Though I was not eagerly awaiting his new release, I did make a point to go to the record store the day of it's release and buy it. Although I was not necessarily disappointed, neither was I very impressed. The cd opens with the refreshing "U Remind Me"..the number one hit that radio seems to have tried to play out, but still remains at the top of everyone's individual playlists. The following track "I Don't Know" featuring P Diddy, seems contrived. It sounds too much like what EVERY R&B male is trying to do these days..we need less of these types of songs. Yet a standout track is the Neptunes produced "U Don't Have to Call" on which the artist really shines. The album does have its peaks. But conversely it does have it's valleys. Usher tries to show off his sensuality and proclaim that he is a sex symbol by at times being way too overtly sexual..almost perverse. Perhaps he should take a lesson from the ladies, Alicia Keys, Aaliyah and others an let the sexiness come from the image, rather than becoming lewd.
on November 4, 2001
Format: Audio CD
GROWS ON YOU...That's exactly what Usher new album,8701,did to me."U Remind Me" was weak when I first heard it on the radio but
then a couple weeks went by and bam,it's stuck in my head.Even
the predictable Jermaine Dupri-produced ballad "U Got It Bad"
was one of my favorites on urban radio as time went by.
And guess what,that's exactly what 8701 did too:grow on me.
The Neptunes-produced "I Don't Know",featuring a unsuprisingly
weak P. Diddy,was sort of corny at first but the thumping
start-stop beat and "la la la la" refrain got me hooked.
Yet,that's not to say that 8701 doesn't have an instant
favorites.Among the best tracks is the breezy Neptunes confection
"U Don't Have To Call"-which also in it's vocal arragement pays
demure but pleasent tribute to Usher's hero Michal Jackson- and
the pretty Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis-helmed ballad "Can U Help Me"
(which ranks up high along with Force MD's "Tender Love" and
Janet's "Come Back To Me" among Jam & Lewis most acomplished
ballads).
So ultimatly,Usher's 8701 is a radio friendly yet satisfying
pop-R&B album,even if it's takes a couple of listens to figure
that out.
on November 8, 2001
Format: Audio CD
This is my review of the amazing CD 8701 by Usher Raymond. First of all this CD took about 4 or 5 days to get into it but "U Remind Me" and "U Got It Bad" were instant favorites because they are very catchy songs and I really like the song "Can U Help Me" which describes Can U Help Me get my life where it's suppose to be and I like the song "U Don't Have To Call" both of those songs should be singles. But in my opinion there should be 4 or 5 singles on this CD, including "I Don't Know" and/or "U-Turn". "U-Turn is a dance jam which Usher wants U to put your hands up and bend your knees and bounce around in a circle and get down with it. "I Don't Know" is a fast track feat. P. Diddy. (U Got It Bad is my all-time favorite of my time). "Can U Help Me" is a slow song which deserves to be a single by Early 2002. If not "Can U Help Me" It will be "I Don't Know" or "U Don't Have To Call", or even "If I Want To" which is a song saying "I can take u from your man if I want to". One of my other favorites that might be a single is "Twork It Out" which is a very sexual song and U-Turn Which I already mentioned earler. "Hottest Thing" is also one of my songs the song describes when your in a club and u see a very attracted woman and U want to meet and start a relationship with her. "Good Ol Ghetto" is a song desribing when U where a teenager and U reminisce about the old days. "U R The One" is a song saying or describing "Love at At first Sight". "I Can't Let U Go" is a song describing I love U so much I just can't let U go. Overall I give this CD a A+ because Usher works very hard in this CD and It really shows. If U don't Have this CD get it NOW.. But out of my favorites on this CD I'll give U my top 7.
1) U Got It Bad
6) I Don't Know
7) U-Turn
on February 27, 2002
Format: Audio CD
Usher is continuing to make great cds. His debut release was a bit to slow and his "Live" album was kind of not very good, but on "My Way" and "8701", Usher proves the limits of R&B music. Somehow, he combines hip-hop flavor into an R&B album. For a good part of "8701" Usher holds his title by making great songs, but there are some weak ones. The ups and downs of "8701" are shown in my list below:
1. Intro-lude 8701 - I really can't say much about this one, since it's just an intro. Usher does keep it short and to the point with it, though.
2. U Remind Me - Great song. Usher stretches in this song how he sees a girl he would love to get with, but his haunted memories of a girl who was his worst nightmare come back to haunt him when he sees her for the fact that she looks exactly like his nightmare girlfriend.
3. I Don't Know featuring P. Diddy - Really hot club song. In this one, Usher tells about a group of girls going to the club, but he has no idea what they came to do, he just knows that he came to party...
5. U Got It Bad - I cannot stress how good this one is. I am so glad he released it instead of "I Don't Know" for his second track. In this one, Usher tells about how bad life without a girlfreind is, that's the meaning of having it bad.
6. If I Want To - Keeps moving with the good tracks. In "If I Want To", Usher tells about how he can get any girl, at any time, any place. If this were so, then why does he have it bad?
7. I Can't Let U Go - Seems theres no stop to the good songs. With this one, Usher is losing his mind over breaking up with a girl, features some lyrics from Jermaine Dupri.
8. U Don't Have To Call - Continuing hot track. If you haven't seen the video for this one, then you probably wouldn't know that this one is basically about after a heartbreaking split up between you and your girl, you can actually get up and go out to restart the whole process of relationships.
9. Without U ( Interlude ) - Kind of too slow. Not much to say because it's just a short interlude.
10. Can U Help Me - Great how Usher can pull out such a slow song and make it so good. Basically, Usher is confused because he bought a girl all she wants and she's still not happy.
11. How Do I Say - Usher starts to lose his steam on this one. Usher is now trying to figure out how he says he likes a super hot girl.
12. Hottest Thing - Losing steam still. Usher is definitely having a problem at putting the hot ones at the beginning in a row and the bad ones at the end.
13. Good Ol' Ghetto - Starts to renew his supply of hot songs. Usher brings us back to the good ol' days in this one.
14. U-Turn - Totally renews his good song supply. Usher teaches us a little dance in this one.
15. U R The One - Somehow he gives us a good beginning, great middle, and fantastic ending.
That's my introspective on "8701", and I hope now that i've told you about it, you'll go out, buy it, and make it number one on the billboard album charts once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on August 8, 2001
Format: Audio CD
usher's back after a 4 year break with "8701". after numerous delays we get some fresh new material and he doesn't disappoint. usher co-wrote a lot of the songs on here and he croons with that signature voice. he also co-produced the album. his vocals have improved and he sounds more confident. musically "8701" doesn't really offer anything ground breaking but it's still a great listen. usher show's us that he's still "the hot loverboy" in songs like "twork it out", and "if i want to". "can you help me" is the soaring ballad of the album and his voice is sweet and smooth. the rest are mostly uptempos and mid tempos. the only real dud on "8701" is "u-turn" and "how do i say" needed some major editing. faves are: "u remind me", "i don't know", "twork it out", "if i want to", "can u help me", "hottest thing", and "u r the one". oh there are tons of hot pics of usher inside the cd booklet! oh yeah!
on December 10, 2001
Format: Audio CD
Usher is back and his last 2 singles on this CD "U Remind Me" and "U Got It Bad" both went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
This is a very good R&B album from Usher, I just wish he would spell U - you.
Usher experiments on this CD with new vocal ranges, and sounds.
The strongest songs are the singles that have recently been released along with "U-Turn" which failed at radio and "Hottest Thin".
Usher is an artist that will be here 10 years from now, he is a strong artist with talent vocally and has great stage presence.
"8701" is a very good R&B album that uses different styles and techniques not going with the same old been there done that scenario sounding like every other R&B artist on the radio today.
Usher definitely stands out on the radio which is a very good thing in todays mundane music pop market.
"8701" is a definite recommendation for the Usher fan.
on December 30, 2001
Format: Audio CD
Okay, I'm going to admit, I was an USHer listener before this, but wasn't really into him. I thought he had too much ego when he first came out and later on with MY WAy, but I have been reformed. With talent like his and a cd like this, he has reason to think he's got it going on- b/c he does! This cd shows growth on so many levels concerning male r&b artist. Many times they lack in departments b/c their either too mushy, to thuggish, or to playa-like. Usher gives a balance of that with this album. Each song is deep and powerful with meaning and heart. Check it:
1.8701: Very decent opening, I passed it though
2.U Remind Me: You've heard, be the judge, but if you think it's the best dance track you are mistaken.
3. I Don't Know: Very hot and talks about how a guy wants a girl and doesn't want to play any games.
4.Twork it OUT: I LOVE THIS SONG!! It's so sensual and midtempo, not raunchy like many r&b love making songs, but sweet and innocent.
5.U GOT It Bad: Great song and wonderful message.
*** track: I don't know if you have one on yours but it talks about haters and such, very hot track.
6.If I want to: Very hot track which says how he could have this girl if he really wanted her. It's funny, b/c many guys try that approach.
7.I Can't let you Go: Usher sounds sexy on this song. Jermain D will have you bugging out.
8.U Don't Have to Call: Decent, but off beat from my veiw.
9 .Without U: This interlude is so precious!
10.Can U Help Me: The best ballad of the album. It's really pretty.
11.How Do I say: Spanish feel to it. It's aight
12.Hottest thing: Club song
13.Good Ol' Ghetto: Very hot song with r&b feel to it.
14.U-Turn: I don't like it
*** track: Another hot bonus track
15. U R The One: It's decent
*** Separated: Very Beautiful song with great words. I love it!
The reason I gave it a four instead of 5 was b/c I would of loved more ballads like Separated and Can U Help Me.
You'll love this cd!
on August 15, 2001
Format: Audio CD
After the multi plantinum selling, "My Way", other than the Usher "Live" CD, you hadn't heard too much from him. "All About U" was supposed to be released earlier this year, but after "Pop Your Collar" didn't get too many rave reviews and once his CD was leaked on to Napster, Usher and his label decided that the best thing to do was to go back into the studio for a second time. "8701" is probably a better product because of this. Even when Usher came out I knew he had potential. "Can U Get Wit It" and "Think Of You" were always favorites of mine back in the day. "My Way" spawned the hits "U Make Me Wanna", "Nice & Slow" and the title track. "Bedtime" was also a favorite of mine. "8701" really sounds like a "My Way" Part 2, which isn't bad at all. The 1st single "U Remind Me" is more like what people expect from Usher. It is a nice laidback midtempo song produced by Edmund Clement and it is currently #1 on the Billboard charts. "Pop Ya Collar" had nothing on this song at all. Usher has a lot of potential singles on this CD. The Neptunes produced, "I Don't Know" w/P Diddy is a nice collaboration between the two. You know it's a Neptunes beat as soon as the song comes on. Even if you have two left feet like I do, you will be trying to get on the dance floor while this song is on. "U Got It Bad" is definitely reminiscent of "Nice And Slow". The Jermaine Dupri and Bryan-Michael Cox produced slow jam, will have you saying "It's 7'o clock, on the dot, I'm in my drop top..." all over again. Bryan-Michael Cox also produced or collaborated with JD on most of Jagged Edge's slow jams on "Jagged Little Thrill". "U Got It Bad" is well put together and is defintely going to be a hit. However, the best song on "8701" and my current favorite is "Can U Help Me". Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis produced this slow jam and this is the best slow song that I have ever heard from Usher. This has a potential of being a single as well but it depends on how many are released from this CD. Other songs worth checking out are the Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis & James Wright "How Do I Say", the Neptunes produced "U Don't Have To Call" and the Babyface & Jermaine Dupri produced, "If I Want To" where Usher boasts "If I wanted, I could take you from your man." With Chili from TLC following you everywhere, I guess you can say something like that. Overall, Usher has impressed me with "8701". He is showing his growth as an artist and his fans will be pleased.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 17, 2002
Format: Audio CD
I have been a fan of Usher since I heard the hit "You Make Me Wanna" back in '99. He has a nice voice and the music is fun to dance to. His hits from "8701" are good, but this album is unfortunatly packed with "filler." Usher Raymond seems to be obsessed with internet talk, explaining the amount of U's and R's. While the hits "U Got It Bad", "U Remind Me" and "U Don't Have A Call" (see a pattern here?) are good, the others are just mediocore. I like his song "U Turn" which kind of reminds me of Monica's "Cross the Room" from her album "The Boy is Mine." I don't like the collaborations with Jermaine Dupri. I mean, while he is an OK producer (too many songs ont his album sound the same however) he cannot rap (same with P Diddy). "Can U Help me" is a great slower song, along with "If I Want To." I really cannot believe "I Don't Know" feauturing P Diddy was issued as a single. It sounded like it was thrown together in 5 minutes and thankfully wasn't remixed for P Diddy's newest album. I think this album is good for the hits and one or two good songs not released, so I would give it 3 1/2 stars if they had that option. Otherwise I'd reccomend just getting the CD-singles. My grade for "8701" is a B-
Format: Audio CD
With the release of his highly anticipated and much delayed album, Usher Raymond makes his mark as a great R&b artist. Spinnng out some hot new traxx with the help of producers that get my respect like the hit makers The Neptunes (i love thier beats!), Veteran producers Jimmy Jam And Terry Lewis, and Jermaine Dupri by his side. Usher has come with full force this time around. The album delivers varied tempos, sizzling lyrics and hot club traxx that keep the stereo bumpin'. Noteworthy traxx include "U Got It Bad" (which almost wore out the repeat button on my CD player). Neptunes produced tracks "I Don't Know" & "U Don't Have To Call" and the slowjam of the summer "U Remind Me" a song in which people can relate 2. This Cd would gotten 5 stars if it werent for the lack of three good songs on the U.S version "Pop Ya Collar" which was a greatly recieved song when it came out as an unofficial single last November (he could have least let that one stay). T.T.P (which i find to be a great song) and the ballad "Separated," Aside fom that this is a great album and i encourage u 2 buy it you won't be disapointed.