Published 3 months ago by Vinny

3.0 out of 5 stars Zmoto
The networking portion is hard to do. Can't seem to get the video streamed to my phone from the app. Picture quality is good and simple installation.
Published 1 month ago by James R Flock

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Good, Solid, and Sophisticated CCTV DVR Security Camera System -- Very High Quality Throughout!, April 17, 2014
This review is from: ZMODO 8Channel D1 DVR Security Camera System w/ 4 outdoor Day/Night 600TVL Hi-Resolution cctv Surveillance Cameras 500GB Hard Drive (8CH - 4 Cameras 500GB) (Electronics)
First, I ask you to bear in mind while reading my review that I am a techie; I am an electronics engineer and I have wide and lengthy experience with electronics systems, video, computer systems, programming and networking (i.e., IS/IT realms). As a result of this, things that I found easy in the setup might not be quite as easy or intuitive for someone who has little in the way of technical skills or experience. You may wish to bear this in mind while reading my review. Also, being an engineeer and a techie, I can easily recognize very good quality technical hardware.

A relative recently gave me one of these ZMODO 8 channel 4-camera 500GB hard drive systems as a gift; before they purchased it for me, they first consulted with me and asked me to pick which brand and model video security system I wanted; we had already agreed that it would be an 8-channel 4-camera DVR package, with a hard drive of at least 500GB capacity, that was capable of both displaying vido and recording at D1 resolution (704 x 480 pixels), which is the highest analog CCTV resolution available. I spent several days online, studying the features of the various brands and models available, and I finally chose this ZMODO system, even though it was not listed on Amazon as an Amazon Prime item, but rather, would have slower delivery and also despite the fact that the listing page at Amazon Marketplace clearly stated that the vendor does not usuayl ship until at least 3-4 business days after the order has been received. Once I had advised them of my choice, my relative then went ahead and ordered the ZMODO 8-channel 4-camera 500GB system that I had chosen, via Amazon Marketplace.

Now that the esystem has arrived and has been set up and running for several days, I can say with confidence that I do not regret my decision to pick the ZMODO system above all the competitors in its price range!

After having spent the past 5 days setting up the system and playing with it, I can say with complete confidence that I am very impressed with this system, from A to Z, that is, from top to bottom; from cameras to the high-quality cables provided, to the DVR itself. Everything seems to havbe been very well-designed, and very-well crafted. The cameras, cables, power supplies and the DVR all seem to be very high quality, and very sturdy and robust.

Setup was ridiculously easy, and fiddling with and modifying settings for various features post-setup has been easy, and the user interface (UI) is well-designed and tends to stick to intuitive and common-sense routes, so there are few surprises, and it is almost always very easy to figure out what to do next, and how to do it, when setting up the system or trying to adjust a setting.

I encountered absolutely no problems or surprises at all during setup. There was never any need, at any time during initial setup nor since then, to contact ZMODO's tech support/customer support, and so, unfortunately, I cannot give you any feedback on their tech support/customer support services!

I also found it very easy to access the video stream from the cameras via both the local LAN router, and also using my PC via the Internet (but, as is true with almost all DVR systems, if using a PC via the Internet, you will need to use only a late-version Internet Explorer browser to view the video stream, because almost all of the modern DVR systems need some special features (the Active X features and controls) available in Internet Explorer. This fact bothered me a bit when I first discovered it, because I tend to vastly prefer to use Mozilla Firefox as my primary browser, and I was a bit irritated at first when I discovered that I would need to use Internet Explorer as a browser for viewing the video stream. However, in practice, this has worked out fine, and I have discovered, from doing a lot of research on the web, that almost all modern security camera DVR systems available on the market have this same quirk: they all need to use Internet Explorer as the browser for watching the video stream. Since initially setting up this system, I have done some furthr research online, and have discovered that it is actually possible, with some additional work, to set up the Firefox, Chrome and Safari browsers in order to be able to view the video stream, but it involves donwloading and installng some special add-ons for those browsers. If you should wanmt to do that, you will find, via a quick Google search, numerous websites that offer tutorials (both in text format and YouTube video format) that show you how to modify the Firefox, Chrome or Safari browsers so that they can receive video streaming from a DVR via a LAN or via the Internet.

Speaking as an engineer and a techie, all that I can tell you, in closing, is that if I should need to purchase another CCTV DVR video security system, I would once again choose this ZMODO line in a heartbeat! The quality of the cameras, cables and the dVR itself is very high, and they are each very sturdy and robust!

I also want to note a minor error in the detailed specifications offered for this system on the current Amazon Markeplace listing page for this item (as of April 2014). While the detailed product specs indicate that the DVR is capable of displaying video at D1 resolution (the highest analog CCTV resolution), but also indicated that the system records at a CIF resolution (which is a far lower resolution). This is not true. While the default resolution for recording that is set up by the manufacturer is indeed CIF resolution (they do this to increase the amount of storage time/space available on the 500 GB hard drive), it is very easy to go into the Settings section of the control panel and change the recording resolution to D1 resolution. While you are at it, if you are interested in the highest quality playbacks from recordings, you may also wish to look at a related item listed on the menu about two items above the recording resolution: the item is labeled something akin to "recording quality". This setting relates to the amount of compression used, and the resultant quality, and the factory default (again, it was set up this way to save hard drive storage space) for this item is normally set to "Low". You may wish to do as I did, and change this setting to either High or even to Best, although recording at these settings will use up hard drive space at a faster rate than with lower settings.

Another minor problem with the system specs listed on the Amazon Marketplace listing page: they do not explicitly state that the DVR comes supplied with a PC-style mouse, and also an IR remote control device for accessing the various menus and control panel on the DVR more easily.

BTW, one word of advice before closing my review: I found that the printed paper manual for the DVR that was supplied with the package measured only about 5" x 7", and the print -- as is so common with almost all user manuals nowadays -- was very small and thus hard to read without a magnifying glass. So, rather than struggle with reading the tiny print in the paper user manual, I went online to the ZMODO website and rather quickly located the listing page for the model ZMD-DD-SBN8 DVR that is supplied with this package, and then clicked on the Download tab, and, from the choice of two manuals available for download, I chose the User Manual in PDF format, and downloaded it. I now simnply keep the manual open in Adobe Reader on my PC, and I find that it is a thousand times easier using the PDF format manual than the printed manual with its tiny print font size.

If I should notice anything else worth mentioning here as I continue to use the system, I will come back here as time permits and add updates to this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars This will help anyone who buys this - Please read., June 2, 2014
Dave Golden (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I just finished installing this system and hope this helps anyone pre/post purchase. Bulleted for your convenience!

* Good system. It is plug and play, even for non-technical folks, this is good.

* Make sure you buy LONGER cables, as needed. Think about where you are placing the DVR and where you are placing the cameras. 100ft for all 4 are my recommendation - you can always tie up the cables!

* If you want to take advantage of audio, get cables with audio capabilities! http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Security-Adaptor-ACBVA150-3JH/dp/B000P8Z3MM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400550156&sr=8-1&keywords=BNC+Audio

* UPDATE THE FIRMWARE if you want the mobile app to work!

* Watch THIS video - It is VERY helpful prior to installing: [...]

* Buy these microphones if you want audio: http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Sensitive-Microphone-Monitoring-Recording/dp/B004REA7MG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400550219&sr=8-1

5.0 out of 5 stars Big bang for the buck, May 21, 2014
I've had this unit setup at my home now for a couple of weeks. No complaints whatsoever with it. I found it easier to setup directly on the DVR itself rather than using the remote software on the PC. The configuration is fairly straight forward. I have my four cameras recording on motion only and they are working great. Camera lines were easy to run and route where I wanted them. The camera lines are thin but I had no issues with them. The camera quality is what you would come to expect from a system at this price point. Excellent during the day but their viewing distance is limited at night without external illumination.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get what you pay for., June 11, 2014
After reading countless reviews on this system I purchased it. I bought these as I was having issues with neighbors and wanted to keep an eye on my house while I was at work and my wife was home with our baby. For the most this is a great product for the money. But there are some drawbacks.

The daytime picture quality is great. Even on my big screen TV (40 some odd inches is big to me) which I have linked it to in my living room, I can see decent details. If someone walks to my car about 50 ft. away, I can tell who it is. I can't read my license plate at that distance, but I knew that when getting these that it wouldn't be able to pick up that kind of detail. The colors are a little off, green looks more pinkish, but who cares really. I haven't linked to my phone yet, but I have internet explorer at work and just about everywhere else, which is what you use to stream the video feed online via your router and internet connection.

The setup was easy to do as far as setting up online, just follow the instructions online to setup the video feed to stream using your IP address as a web host. Hooking the cameras up was really easy. The cables are really thin, so I was able to hide them under siding or under molding without any issues. If you have to go through a wall, you will need to drill out a 1/2 inch hole though so be prepared for that as the video connection end is about that big. Just be ready with a small tube of silicone so you don't cause yourself any leaking issues with outside wholes.

The only drawback to the entire system so far is the night vision. Truth be told it sucks. In my back yard, which is completely dark at night, it might reach 30 feet clear, the rest is really just black. I can see reflective surfaces but other than that, nothing. I don't mind so much as I wasn't expecting much NV power for the price. The front camera's that I have setup work fine as there is a street light. It goes to black and white in low light and I can see pretty good. Currently I have a monition light over my back door which is where the camera is located, so if someone actually does come up close to the house, the light goes on and I can see them clear as day, but without that motion light, the camera is pretty useless at night. I also have one of the camera's linked up on a building about 80 ft. from my house looking back up at it, which is great because they watch themselves. Just purchased 150 ft. of cable for that one to be linked up.

All in all I would say your getting exactly what you pay for. It is wicked cheap, but for a DVR with 4 decent camera's and a useable interface, you really can't go wrong.

3.0 out of 5 stars Zmoto, June 1, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars How Much Of a Deal, March 18, 2014
This was an amazing deal that i could not pass up on. Prompt delivery and even made contact with me when the color that i ordered was not available in stock. Very happy will leave another review after im done setting up

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke within a week, June 25, 2014
Cameras- pretty blurry compared to higher quality ones I've seen with less TV Lines. Still not too bad though. The color was decent. The night vision was shorter than I expected. Maybe 20' or so.

Cables- Very cheap cabling comes with this kit. Dont pull on it too hard cause it will snap like a twig.

DVR- I connected and tested the system on the table before installing and everything worked fine. I let it run overnight like that with no trouble and then installed the next day. After configuring everything the way I wanted on the DVR, I tried setting up the networking side so I could view it remotely. I could not for the life of me, get this to work. I know how to port forward and set up a DDNS account, but I'm still baffled as to why the DVR wouldn't connect. I've set up 3 IP cameras and 2 other CCTV systems that network, so I know what I'm doing enough to handle this properly. This one had issues. Anyway, before I could get that corrected, I started getting alarms saying Hard Disc error. I'd clear them and they'd come back every hour or so. Finally the DVR just died. No power to the cameras, nothing. Sent it back to ZMODO. They didn't give me any troubles with the return or refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars They work very good., May 20, 2014
Alex Rodriguez "garaplus" (Guatemala, Guatemala City) - See all my reviews
I've finished installing them outside my home and they're working just fine. I'm pretty pleased with their service as well, just perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, May 26, 2014
We had a appt. with ADT to come after our house was robbed. They called and cancelled our appt. saying they were booked up and re-scheduled. I couldn't stand to be here with my 2 kids. My husband got online and ordered this. It came 2 days early and he easily installed it. The picture quality is good. There is space available for more cameras if needed. I'm really impressed. They are also motion activated. Maybe they are a little too sensitive as I was watching bugs set it off to record. My husband called ADT and told them not to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great (Home or Away) for Mobile Devices and Window PC..., July 26, 2014
I have this system working perfectly, excellent value for the price. Easy to install, only issue should concern the remote setup for internet access. Initially, I had some difficulty with remote setup and the documentation is poorly done. However, I am still rating it a 5 based on the system itself and I am very happy with the eventual outcome allowing my wife and I the ability to monitor our home from wherever we happen to be in the world via either Android, Iphone, Ipad or Windows pc. Important to note, if you have a Router installed with a firewall you will be dealing with two IP addresses. One for the private network such as 192.168.x.x. for use at home. The other IP address (public) is assigned by the ISP and is used for remote access over the internet as follows;
1. Connect Cable Modem directly to Router with no other adapters between them
2. login ID:Admin... Password: 111111..Go to the network section of the Unit
3. Set Unit to use any available Static IP address within the range of the router
3. Note the port numbers shown by the unit such as 80, 5050, 6050, 7050 (last number, 7050 used by mobile devices)
4. All 4 Ports must be entered into the router firewall filtering section, called port forwarding. This tells the router to forward (public) Internet access to the device with the same (private) static IP address assigned earlier.
5. Check to confirm that the ports are all opened using any of the available tools. Once opened, system is ready.
6. Download the free App Zviewer for mobile devise and enter either or both setups (Local and Remote). Remember the private static IP ddress for the unit such as 192.168.1.45 is for the Lan (home) and the Internet IP address will be the one issued by your ISP (Public)
7. Setup your mobile devise as follows
a) for IP enter in this case [192.168.1.45]
b) for port enter mobile port [7050]
c) ID enter [Admin]
Password enter [111111]
d)Max enter [8] and accept.

Windows PC
In IE Go To ...tools.. internet options.. security...custom level and scroll to Active X filtering section then uncheck disable then check boxes to prompt then accept and close. In IE enter http://192.168.1.45:80/ in URL and allow the Add-On to install and the Unit login will appear when completed.
Remember to replace private IP (Lan) with Internet IP (Wan)for remote access setup, ie. http://98.137.116.122:80/

Rate and Discover Movies