Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

67%
33%

on May 15, 2007
The wide field of view and long eye relief on the Stratus 8mm make high-power viewing a joy. It also takes a Barlow very well. Saturn and it's moons are stunning, and I even use it on faint galaxies. I will buy more of these great eyepieces.
on April 20, 2012
I may not be Edwin Hubble or Carl Sagan nor do I have the biggest and best scope in the world. But I do have a nice mid range scope in an Orion XT8 Dobsonian and this eyepiece 17mm along with the 13mm and the 8mm that I purchased are my favorites by far. Terrific field of view and very high quality. It may not be a Nagler but at a fraction of a Nagler price, it makes beautiful images in my eyes. Love it and highly recommend this. They are heavy by the way and just so you know, they are the same eyepieces as Baader Hyperions. Oh I also like the big mm numbers Orion has stenciled on the side of the eyepieces. Makes it much easier to see in the dark. Highly recommended.
on April 12, 2015
I want to put this review in perspective first. This eyepiece is used in an Orion SkyQuest XT8 dob using the 1.25" adaptor. The other 2 EP's we own are both Orion Plossls. Primary testing was done viewing Jupiter in skies that have pretty heavy light pollution. Overall I would say the skies were fairly stable so far as other pollution effects.

So my take... this EP's edge to edge clarity looked the same as the 7.5 plossl I compared it to. Eye relief was improved but not knock my socks off better. The wider field of view is where it really shines. I loved that. The object being viewed will stay in the FOV longer but you are still chasing them at higher magnifications. That said, the fun of viewing for extended sessions is much better with a wide FOV.

I understand there are other features of this EP that allow for more creative setups but that is beyond the scope of my testing.

Overall I give this eyepiece high marks and would say the extra dollars spent will come down to the desire for wider FOV and improved eye relief.
It would be an easy 5 star if I had seen better clarity, but in my testing, with the above mentioned equipment and viewing conditions, I just couldn't see any.
on February 8, 2013
I have an Orion XT8. This eyepiece has excellent apparent field of view. One thing that it doesn't really say anywhere is that this eyepiece is modular! There is a bottom part that you can simply unscrew and turn this eyepiece into a longer focal length eyepiece (2 inch only then). So you are getting almost two for one!! The only downside to unscrewing the bottom part and using the 2" body to provide a longer focal length, is that you lose the 20-ish mm of eye relief. I think that you can get little metal pieces to screw into this thing to have up to 4 different focal lengths with proper relief (I am assuming the part about yielding proper eye relief). But because it makes no mention of this, I don't actually know what length is converts to when you unscrew it, but it looks about around 17mm.

The only con to this is that the rubber eye cup is too long. You wind up bumping the telescope around when you try to get the full field in view, although this doesn't really seem to be a big problem because you can just fold it back, however, this might let you eye get too close.

The optics seem quality, in my telescope I see no unexpected distortions.

All in all this is a fantastic buy if you figure you're getting a two for one deal here.
on March 14, 2016
Superb lens. Great improvement over typical supplied eyepieces that come with telescope
on July 30, 2014
Amazing! The first eyepiece I've bought since I got my telescope. Haven't been able to use it much, due to bad weather, but I love the detail I am able to see when I do use it!