4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the last of it's kind
In a world of IPads, Kindle Fires and Nooks, a portable DVD player might seem a bit anachronistic. We're accustomed to seeing a row of heads looking down at their handhelds and not up at a common screen, which is too bad because this Audiovox DVD player would have been the ultimate car trip accessory ten years ago.

A decade ago, my kids shared a small DVD...
Published on December 29, 2011 by Sacratomato

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it.
Published on November 26, 2011 by reg

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the last of it's kind, December 29, 2011
Sacratomato (Northern California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

A decade ago, my kids shared a small DVD player resting on their thighs. The Audiovox has headrest brackets! Speakers! Headsets! The screen swivels! Oh wait, that might cause conflict among travel weary siblings. But everything else is a neat little package of travel goodness.

The mounting bracket seemed to promise a lot of a fiddly small screws and lost nuts, but instead the process was simple. The whole package was a pleasant surprise. I initially rated the Audiovox as 3 stars, but decided to give it 4 stars becuase of the combination of a relatively low price and capabilty. If an IPad or a Blu-Ray high definition player is a pure bred French Poodle, then the Audiovox is the friendly golden retriever that licks your kids to death.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it., November 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have had 5 or 6 portable DVD players, including one very pricey model when they first came out. The price of this one is definitely better. I also like that the rechargeable battery is in the unit, not a separate piece. I always misplace the battery when it can separate from the unit. As a result, I rarely use one without plugging it in, whether in the car or in the house. This one does come with the car plug and one you can use in the house. The battery is supposed to last 2 hours and they recommend charging it fully before you store it for any length of time. The battery is not supposed to have a memory, so letting it recharge without fully discharging isn't supposed to be a problem.

When I first opened the box, I was quite impressed that everything, including the car mount fits in a very compact, included bag. I've had to purchase a bag for the other units I have had. I first played with the car mounting bracket. I have never found one I have liked. This one is good. You unscrew 4 screws and separate it into 2 pieces that fit in front and behind one of the headrest posts. Re-screw the 4 screws and installation is pretty much done (they even include 2 extra screws). There is a t-shaped piece, with a hook on one end, which attaches to the DVD player and then snaps onto the piece installed in the car. It took me awhile to figure out how to attach the bracket to the DVD player. There was no picture in the instruction book showing the two together. I was able to see the hook part went to the top. I finally noticed there were some indentations on the player that matched these small hooks on the bracket. I first had it so it was in an "L" shape, much like it would be on a table. I then saw the picture on the product page and it looked like the screen turned around 180* and then folded back. That works as well. The advantage of the first way is you can change discs without taking it off the bracket, but it sticks out. The second way is more compact, but you won't be able to change the disc without removing the player from the bracket.

I was really impressed with the car mount and was so ready to love everything else about the player. I put in a disc, in the house, ready to enjoy. One of the things that has frustrated me with other units is when you have to use the remote in order to get the movie to start playing. This one does allow you to do everything on the player, which is good because the remote was hit or miss whether the player would respond. The sound was pretty bad. There was a buzzing sound and the volume wouldn't go very high (I was sitting not 3 feet away and I don't normally listen to things at full volume). I used one of the headphones and the sound did improve and I had to turn the volume down. The headphones are the over the ear style and fold nicely to fit in the case. I rarely use headphones, so I don't know good from bad, but these worked for me. They are padded, but were beginning to bother me by the last 30 minutes of the movie. The picture quality wasn't bad for a regular DVD. If you are used to high def and blue ray, it might not be that good for you. I got this to use with the grandkids on long car rides and I don't think they will complain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids and the car, May 3, 2012
This review is from: 9-inch Portable DVD Player (DS9521PK) (Electronics)
I was on the hunt for a new DVD player that my toddler could use both in and out of the car. She is rear-facing, and the RCA DRC69705 7-Inch Dual Screen Mobile DVD System we had don't have batteries. That wouldn't be a big deal, except the car chargers aren't long enough to reach the back of the backseats, so I ended up rigging a mirror and putting the players on the back of the front seats. It was a pain, to say the least. Plus, those were hit-and-miss (they had to be at such an angle to actually play a DVD, not anywhere near straight up and down.)

So what I wanted in a new portable DVD player: 1) a battery 2) a screen that flipped so my kid can't mess with the buttons and open the player all the time 3) a sturdy car mount 4) preferably a player with memory so it'd pick up where the DVD left off instead of starting all over (another thing the RCAs don't do.) This Audiovox fit the bill.

There are a couple other players out there that could also work, but I chose this one because of the car mount. I am very pro-car safety and don't want a DVD player to go flying off in an accident and end up killing my child. I also liked the quick-release feature, as I don't want to leave the player sitting out in my car for someone to steal. The mount for this works perfectly in my Prius; it's made of plastic and connects around the headrest poles using 4 screws. (Because of the way it connects, it'll only work for people with removable headrests.) The piece that actually holds the player can be removed, leaving the horizontal mount attached to the headrest so you can just pop the holding piece with the player right back on. It's genius, and IMO the real selling point of this player. The holding piece can be rotated however you want, and then you twist the knob to keep it at that angle. Very simple, but a thousand times better than players with just velcro straps that force you to remove the whole shebang to hide the player (coughRCAcough.)

DVDs start up quick and play just fine on here. Is it HD/Blu-Ray? No, but it is perfectly acceptable for the price and for my purpose. It charges pretty quickly and holds a charge as it says it does. As others have mentioned, it does come with a carrying bag (woohoo!), 2 over-the-ear headphones, a headphone splitter, a remote with battery, a wall charger, and a car charger. You get a lot for the money, but like I said, the best part is the car mount, hands down. I'm very pleased with my purchase!!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Complaints - A Lifesaver on Long Road Trips, January 30, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the past several years, we have depended on portable DVD players to keep our kids occupied on long road trips. In my experience, the beating that a portable player takes means that any player is going to last one or two years, but that even the top brands don't last much longer than that.

This Audiovox is positioned for people with that mentality. It has worked well so far. Do I think it will last forever? Probably not, but I don't think our Sony will either. (I'll update if either one breaks -- since we have two kids, they're getting literally side by side tests).

What's good:

- The screen has a crisp, clear picture. I think the 7" screen is a little small for modern standards, though, and recommend choosing the 9" model.

- The screen swivels and folds back allowing you to watch movies in "tablet" form, either on your lap or with the attached headrest mount.

- The headrest mount is the first I have seen of its kind. Instead of trying to tie straps around one of the front seat headrests, you unscrew a clamp-style thing, then attach it to the bars of the headrest. Assuming you attach the player to the attachment correctly, which takes some practice, you end up with a much more secure attachment than most.

- The player does all of the extra stuff we have come to expect. It has a USB input for digital files, and component video out so that you can use this as a dvd player for a TV when you get to the hotel. (I currently have it hooked to the tv in my exercise area, which gets me the chance to watch DVDs there and keeps the unit charged for trips). The remote control is good.

- Audiovox included more and better accessories than many of the bigger name brands. The unit comes with a carry bag, two reasonably nice folding over-the-ear headphones, and a headphone splitter in case two people want to watch.

What could be better:

- So far, nothing. Some of the other reviewers have had technical problems, but ours is running fine and doing exactly what it was designed for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stoped working!, August 24, 2013
This would have been awesome if it lasted more then a couple months! Loved the two hour charge, decent picture, just in the end a waist of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars mini movie theater, March 10, 2013
This review is from: 9-inch Portable DVD Player (DS9521PK) (Electronics)
lost same brand in a flood.bought this one to replace lost one and seems to be same quality. buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't have any complaints, September 26, 2013
This review is from: 9-inch Portable DVD Player (DS9521PK) (Electronics)
I find nothing wrong with this DVD player. We set it between my wife and I and turn the screen around so my son in the back seat can watch. There have been some complaints about the volume not being loud enough but for us, who only use it in the car, it is perfectly fine. Happy we bought it.

4.0 out of 5 stars works well, September 23, 2013
This review is from: 9-inch Portable DVD Player (DS9521PK) (Electronics)
It did what it was supposed too. No beef with this. Easy to install and picture was great. Son complained of low volume level even at max.

1.0 out of 5 stars broke after 1 month of limited use, September 16, 2013
Jennifer J (Lake Elmo, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 9-inch Portable DVD Player (DS9521PK) (Electronics)
We used this in backseat of our car for a little over a month (5 days after the final return date). Then, one day the picture just disappeared, there was sound, but no picture. After about a day, the sound disappeared too. The DVD just turns around and around. It is made of cheap plastic that we could have dealt with if we could actually watch a movie. The attachment to the headrest broke after 2 days. It is now in the garbage. VERY disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the swivel, October 3, 2012
This review is from: 9-inch Portable DVD Player (DS9521PK) (Electronics)
Ordered a Sony but it has been discontinued. Specifically needed the swivel screen because of the way it had to be hooked up in the car. 20 month yr old was good as gold on a 4 hour trip. Took it into a restuarant and she watched her Elmo DVD while we had a relaxing meal. The wait staff said she was the best behaved child they ever had. Even the manager commented that they should consider providing tables with portable players so the kids won't act up. Our waitress also said that typically no one wants to have families with small kids at their table, and she apologized for painting everyone with the same brush. It was worth the $100+ for that comment alone.

9-inch Portable DVD Player (DS9521PK)
$159.99 $115.47