1,568 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars 90 Minutes in Heaven
I never buy these kinds of books. I have always viewed them as a type of preying on believers or , at best, a sleazy attempt to cash in on faith. This book was different. I read the title and synopsis and passed over it many times but something kept drawing me back to this book. I didn't know why at the time, but I had to buy this book.

I loved it from the very...
Published on January 20, 2006 by E. Oneto

1.0 out of 5 stars 90 minutes in Heaven
Published on March 14, 2007 by M. Padgett

5.0 out of 5 stars 90 Minutes in Heaven, January 20, 2006

I loved it from the very first page. It has a ring of truth. Most of the book is about what happened to Mr. Piper after his experience in heaven and during his long, painful recovery. I bought many copies and gave them to family and friends, urging them to read it as I believe it has the power to transform lives.

About a month after I 1st read this book my son was killed in Iraq. I now know that God was preparing me for what was to come and not be afraid but be joyful that my son is with Him in an indescribly beautiful place, in His presence. I have a peace of mind I NEVER would have known if I had not read this book. I will be forever grateful for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, October 10, 2004
Bonnie M. Traylor (Southern California) - See all my reviews
Written in straight-forward, simple style without a lot of "religionese," Don Piper has told the story of his devastating accident, his brief time in heaven and his return to a life full of pain and questions. I read it cover-to-cover in two hours and then loaned out my copy. I would recommend this book to just about anybody -- to those with questions about faith, questions about prayer, questions about life and death and pain which we all face to some extent.

His descriptions of heaven are human ones -- simple, not overly poetic or grandiose, just those of someone who experienced the indescribable and then tried to describe it. I loved the descriptions of the incredible heavenly music and I get the feeling that vast choirs and heightened senses await us there. And despite the incredible experience, Piper found it too personal, too private, and too intimate to share with anyone for over a year after his accident. I'm so glad he found the courage to do so.

I also love the honesty with which he describes his pain and depression and the inevitable questions that we must face when we have close encounters with the Almighty. The God we meet is often not the one we expected, and while we can't understand why God does what he does, we can no longer deny this God we don't understand. And while we hold these two things together, our lives are changed and grace is showered down amid the ruins of what we thought was important to us.

A simply-told story of the greatest mystery of all -- you HAVE to read this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping, March 19, 2007
This review is from: 90 Minutes in Heaven (Hardcover)
I don't know what to say, other than - this story has the ring of authenticity. I haven't checked out his facts - and frankly, I picked up his book with a good bit of healthy skepticism. So many people have attempted to make a quick buck off of the spiritual gullibility of others. But based on my understanding of Scripture and my own internal "truth meter," I walked away from this book thinking to myself, "This man may have actually been given a glimpse of heaven." I can see this book providing genuine comfort to those who have lost Christian loved ones...and unspeakable encouragment to those who are themselves facing death.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just enough to make it real, August 19, 2006
As I glanced through other reviews of this book, I noticed many of the negative reviews voiced the same issue -- "there wasn't enough about his experience in Heaven". But that's what confirmed its authenticity to me along with his self-admitted inability to describe it. I'm confident Reverand Piper conveyed exactly what he experienced and that it wasn't embellished or enhanced merely to satisfy our earthly desires for more information. A lesser author would have done so to sell more books! His experience in Heaven was the most intriguing part of the book, but of greater value was what he did with that experience as well as the mental and physical challenges following his accident. In summary, it's a confirmation of God's promises to us regarding Heaven, a reminder that we all serve a purpose for Him while on earth, and a prompting regarding our responsibility to ensure others are saved.

5.0 out of 5 stars 90 Minutes In Heaven Is Heavenly!, September 29, 2004
Don Piper died on January 18, 1989 while on his way home from a church conference. Although he does go in depth into his visit "home" to Heaven, his book really concentrates on his life after the accident. After experiencing a joyous reunion with deceased relatives he was wisked away to earth with no explanation. Don is a devout Christian and suffers greatly from his banishment in heaven and with the physical pain and recovery from his automobile accident. This is really a story of survival against all odds and it is extremely motivating. When we hear of such advertisity striking others we often wonder how they find the grit to survive and even thrive. By reading Don's story we find that survival is based on a mixture of hope, faith and sheer determination. Read this book, you won't be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars 90 minutes in Heaven, March 14, 2007
No disrespect to the author, but this book should have been titled "the long,boring recovery of a Baptist preacher".There are a few pages of his NDE (pearly gate,streets paved with gold,singing hymns and praising God). All one would expect of a NDE by a Baptist preacher.That's it...the rest of the book is his recovery, his church and family.I read the reviews before I bought this book and thought it sounded pretty good. One guy said he couldn't put it down. If reading about a baptist preacher in the hospital is your idea of a good read, then have at it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't Convince a Skeptic but Will Gratify Believers, May 4, 2007
I was loaned this book by a relative because she was "worried" about the condition of my soul. You see, I'm a reductive physicalist, i.e., a scientific atheist, or what is more traditionally called an atheist materialist. My relative is of course a Christian and a good one at that. So, she gave me this book in the hopes of convincing me to reconsider my religious beliefs.

While I appreciated her concern, after reading 90 Minutes in Heaven, I wondered at what she thought was so compelling about Mr. Piper's story. Certainly to a believer, his experience would be a confirmation of Christian understandings of the afterlife, but to a non-believer, they appear as the hallucinations of a severely injured and semi-conscious mind. So, you see, how you react to this book depends greatly on your perspectives and ideas at the time you read it.

Surely, I cannot disprove the validity of Mr. Piper's experience, nor would I specifically care to. However, it would be a grave mistake to equate lack of disproof for proof. For instance, while I can't claim that Piper's experience is invalid, I also can't claim that it is a valid proven argument for the existence of Heaven, God, Christ, et al. Why? Because Piper's experience is entirely subjective. How can I say that? Because other people's experiences with clinical death run counter to Piper's.

Why is Piper's experience of Heaven any more real or valid than the hundreds and thousands of people who have been clinically dead and revived and who also experienced nothing in the interim? The way I see it, their stories are equally as valid as Piper's. That is why Piper's story and stories like his are unconvincing for non-believers.

At base, 90 Minutes in Heaven is an apologist work and for that reason it falls flat in its purpose. There is no uncontested proof for the existence of an afterlife, only faith that there is one. Trying to prove a basis of faith analytically is a fool's errand, much the same as disproving it.

Additionally, even if Piper's work were only intended for believers, it's a disappointment for it's lack of description. The description of Heaven Piper gives is brief and vague. Several passages are prefaced with the claim that heaven was beyond description, or that words were inadequate to the task of description when it comes to Heaven. If so, what's the point of writing about it? What's more, what's the point of reading about it? When Piper finally does attempt to describe what he experienced we're given a story that is both cliche and suspect.

The chapters dealing with Piper's recovery add little to strengthen the purpose of his book and should have been omitted...except then this book would have been a pamphlet.

1.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed..., May 23, 2007
I was so excited to listen to this book! To hear what it's like in Heaven - wow! But Mr. Piper talks of his moments in Heaven for just minutes on the first disk, then the other 4 1/2 disks (rest of the book) is all about his injuries in the accident and how he recovered. I was very disappointed. I expected more on Heaven, not so many details on his health condition each day. So if you want a story about a man that beat death with many prayers, this is it. But if you wanted a story, like me, that tells you every detail of Heaven and how wonderful it is, skip it. Sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced., July 14, 2005
T. Smith (Charlotte NC) - See all my reviews
I just finished reading this book in a short amount of time. It is well worth the read and I do believe that Rev. Piper's story is not only legitimate, but very inspiring for those, like me, who wonder about life after death. That said, I will get to what I believe keeps this book from being a great book: he spent too much of the book speaking of his recuperation. That story was very important: but, it wasn't the reason I bought the book. The one chapter in which he recounts his NDE was breathtaking. The chapter's brevity does not detract from it's magnificence. I would not say that he needs to "draw out" the NDE account. I would say he does need to write less of his experience with the contraption that helped his leg to heal. At times, I felt as if the book was written to help those going through life with the leg contraption than it was to help those coping with life-after-death issues. Jerry Seinfeld once said "What is the deal with Oprah?...She's fat, she's thin, she's fat, she's thin...Just pick a weight and go with it." That's some of what I felt with this book. Is the book about recovery or is it a book about life after death? In my opinion, since the book tried to be both it lost it's potential for greatness.

However, buy and read the book anyway. A book doesn't have to be perfect in order to get a lot out of it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Should be called "3 years in Recovery" not "90 min in Heaven", September 14, 2006
Laurie (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
I gotta tell you, I dont read books very much..I'm not a big reader but the title of this book caught me. I wanted to read about heaven...I am a Christian and this book really caught my eye.

The book is about 100+ pages long and his discussion about heaven is only the first 15 pages. The rest of the story is about his recovery and the trials he went through thereafter...its not a book which discusses throughout his "90 minutes in heaven." I think this book would be inspirational to individuals who have gone through similar circumstances but to those of us who wanted to see a "glimpse of heaven", there wasnt much meat there..

90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Death and Life
90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Death and Life by Cecil B. Murphey (Paperback - September 1, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01