Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on July 21, 2012
Taking up a new hobby I decided I did not want to learn to do Eskimo rolls to exit sit-inside kayaks, I was not going to be doing whitewater or multi-day river voyages nor going out to sea: I wanted something stable, durable, not too heavy, for lakes and wildlife preserves and mild rivers. I have had this kayak out in all those plus several hundred yards off the shore of the Delaware Bay and it has been great. It tends to stay straight when paddling, will glide so I don't have to constantly paddle, is comfortable (2 hours in the seat and no problems), is not too heavy, cleans easily, has a water bottle holder up front and two nice paddle holders, a up top storage in the back and a hatch. I looked at the company's website and was impressed, and it is made in the USA. I am very happy with it as a novice paddler. One does get more wet with a sit-on-top than a sit-inside but I do not find it bothersome; in the hot weather it helps cool one down, and there is not as much water as I thought there would be as it drains out while paddling. Another nice feature, if you do fall out it is much much easier to get back into than a sit-inside.
on August 8, 2012
I have used the emotion Kayak and recommend it. The main reason i got it was it is very durable and i didnt want to worry about my older kids and friends damaging a nicer fiberglass one, it is pretty indestructable. the second reason is this is a sit on top kayak which means you dont have to know how to roll, much safer it you are going to have a bunch of people using it. I took it in a bunch of channels and into the bay and had no issue's. it could track a little better but that isnt that big of a deal. if you have never owned a kayak this is a great option, it wont sink and it is self draining which is very nice. if you buy a nice kayak you have to buy flotation bags to put into the kayak so it wont sink, and you have to bail the water out, not with this kayak.

The issue is it is hard to find it locally, i was told the company changed ownership and the new owner treats the dealers very badly and they are not ordering them as a result, so no one has them in stock. I even heard this same story from a rental company that will be switching to another kayak company just because of the bad customer service.

The issue is amazon has no idea when they are going to ship it or when it will get to you. Maybe they are shipping direct from emotion and they are having the same issue as the other dealers. I have actually spoken to amazon and had them change what it said in the web page, but when they doubled the amount of time it says it would take to arrive it is still wrong. I ended up renting them for my last trip because amazon messed up the shipping date so bad.

I use amazon versus other merchants because i dont have to run around looking for a product and i normally get it when they say, which is fast. but with this Kayak they have no idea when you will get it. the common issue is it is listed as Prime, so i order on a friday (aug 3rd) and it says it will be here next wend (aug 8th). after i place the order it says it will arrive on (aug 13th). But then i recieve an email from amazon on the 7th saying the shipper attempted to contact you to deliver your product please call them. I call them and they say, oh it is not here it wont be here till next week we just called to see what day next week you will be around.

It is a Kayak and it is summer and if you plan on using this for a vacation that is closer than 2 weeks away you may not get it.
on May 9, 2013
I looked at a lot of kayaks before I decided on the Temptation. This one is made so well. The handles are sturdy--they make it easy to move it in and out of the water. The molded foot wells would work for taller paddlers too, but it's nice to have something which is also comfortable for smaller users (I'm 5'4", 102 pounds). It tracks very well, making the journey relaxing. They provide a cushioned back to the seat, but you're on your own as to what you want to sit on to soften the ride for your bottom...I just sit on a towel, easy and adjustable, and useful if I want to stop and swim :)
on December 16, 2015
I LOVE this kayak. I researched for over a year. It's the perfect blend of balance and speed. Best of all it's light enough for me to carry from dock to water (over rocks) by myself. If anything ever happens to my kayak I will buy this one again. It does scrape easily, as any kayak of this material will, but there are YouTube videos that show you how to easily repair if you want. My scrapes are shallow and haven't effected the performance. I thought I would need a pad and used one most of the summer. Then I forgot my pad/seat, went kayaking anyway and was so comfortable. My only gripes, which are minor: I wish the cargo hold was closer so I could reach inside while sitting on the kayak, and I wish the side handles were built into the kayak or solid. I worry, using this on salt water, that the soft handle won't last for many years, so I do rinse them off after use. Due to using in salt water, I also rinse off the seat and cargo net after using.
on September 24, 2014
I really love this little boat, it's the best in it's class and I've looked at a lot of them. I am an experienced paddler with several "serious" fiberglass boats (Nigel Dennis, Valley, etc.) and I can still enjoy this. Nice to have the freedom to bend and jostle around when my knees don't want to be in a cockpit. Also appreciate the fit and finish compared to others, the Amazon price. Hard to shipped without any scuffs but they were minor. Great boat in waves and playing in the rough. Haven't needed the storage but it looks functional. Seat is decent and flexible for goofing around, swimming with the kids. Great second boat for fun with family and less ambitious friends. I'm 6-1, 235, size 17 feet and I fit easily. And made in USA seals the deal.
on August 21, 2013
I bought this boat to explore the The Three Rivers with my friends and family. I went to several local stores earlier to try out different models and picked this one. I would have purchased in store but everyone was sold out and back ordered and I had an event coming up!! It is light enough for me to carry, has storage, a back cushion, and it tracks well enough for my purpose. The only thing I did not think about? It is a bit difficult to turn around and grab item under the mesh when on the river and the storage hatch, obviously, is not for on-the-go items. Other than that, this is a super boat and I have been out every week! Can't beat the quality for the price.
on September 25, 2013
This is a really stable, relatively fast, easy tracking kayak for the price. Pretty good storage in the bow. The bow hatch cover is not watertight enough and the plastic is not as strong as I would like but it is serviceable. I recommend that one put foam blocks in the bow storage or things can slide all the way to the stern. THe netting in the stern could be a little bigger to hold down camping equipment but it works.
on June 19, 2012
First off, I have not personally been in this kayak on the water yet. My 13 year old son has for one short outing and it worked fine- we were in a small lake, almost no wave action. He thinks it's awesome. We bought the only color that was available- "granite". Thought that was a boring color-- no wonder it was the only color left. We got the kayak and unwrapped the shipping packaging. The color pattern looked just like a gray granite counter top. I think it is really surprisingly pretty.

Now the real review focusing on construction as I can't vouch for its "on the water" performance yet. I will compare it to my malibu mini-x- a 'yak that is of similar size, type, and price range. The temptation's hull is just beautiful. Very nicely polished, very symmetrical. The hull material is about 1/8 inch thick. Tough material. No short-cuts here. My mini-x's hull to me seems a little cruder by comparison, but still built like a tank. The temptation's built-in seat back seems very sturdy, but will it stand the test of time?- I guess I'll find out.

Now a few downers. Almost all of the hardware is attached to the temptation with pop-rivets. It's ok I guess, but I much prefer the mini-x's use of heavy screw-in plugs,stainless screws, high quality cleats. Secondly, the seat back that comes with the temptation is actually sewn on to the front cleats so it can't be removed without either cutting the straps, or removing the cleats and cutting them. Wow! And if you wanted to put a different seat on the temptation, it seems like a non-standard set-up so you might run into some issues finding a different seat that works for the temptation. The mini-x has no such "issues".

I am also a little disappointed in the temptation's front hatch. Seems a little on the cheap-o side, and I am not completely confident in its durability or how water tight it really is. The gasket did not seem to seat properly so I fixed it with a little silicon caulk. What the heck? The mini-x uses a very high quality hatch that locks down super good, and looks like it's almost tough enough to stand on (all though I would not want to really test that). Both the temptation and mini-x have 4 heavy duty handles for transport.

The temptation is a little over a foot longer than the mini-x and weighs about 4 pounds more (according to manufacturer's specs). The temptation, though, seems much harder to carry around than the mini-x -- harder than its mere 4 extra pounds might suggest- maybe due to the extra length. The temptation did not come with any rod holders so I installed 2 flush mounts behind the seat in the flattened areas provided. That was easy to do. We plan on camping and fishing for a week in August. I'll plan on updating this review when we get back.

On our trip to Michigan the emotion performed well. It is significantly "faster" than the mini-x. I guess that equates to being a little easier to paddle/more efficient. Two things that irritated me about this kayak. One, the drain plug is very close to the water line and it leaks a bit. And the heavier you are, the more it's going to leak. Two, I mentioned the cheap hatch cover that comes installed in the emotion- when it rains, it leaks pretty badly.

When I got back home, I calked the "drain plug" shut and is now water tight. Second, I got rid of the POS hatch and replaced it with a high quality 8 inch round hatch with removal bucket. With its new mods, I would add another star and a half at least.
on May 3, 2014
This 10 foot version does everything reasonably well. It is stable in all kinds of conditions, tracks well, yet turns well. Probably did 50 days of kayaking with it last summer, River Trips and Lake Trips. My wife and I always enjoy it, and since we put it on a J Rack roof mount it is nice that it is reasonably light. We added Yakpads to the seating and it makes the kayak much more comfortable for multi hour trips. This kayak gets a lot of favorable comments from others too. I really like the bow design. Is it the perfect kayak? Of Course NOT. I rated it a 5 , not because it is perfect, but because when you consider a lot of factors for the kayaking we do, plus add in cost, weight, and features it is a good balance for us. For example, since many river trips we do are 10-15 miles I would probably like another foot or two of length for hull speed, but that length comes at a cost in weight and usually dollars.

Overall though this is a great kayak, but there is no perfect kayak, just ones that come very close to satisfying your needs for the things you intend to do with it.

I have learned to trust emotion kayak manufacturing and design and intend to buy a much larger model to mount a 1.4 meter sail this year. However, the Emotion Temptation will still get a lot of use.
on November 13, 2013
We got this for my 11 year old son, 110 lbs. He loves it. It's wider so it doesn't tip easily. He and our 65 lb. golden retriever ride in it. He even likes to tip it over and play around w/it that way with his friends. Excellent price, great color.

See 1 answered question