Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 96 Hours
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 17, 2011
This is a love story that if it isn't real you wish it were.
Set against the backdrop of terror and horror the story concerns Abby and Erica who were among the thousands of people diverted to Gander when US airspace was locked down on 09/11. I had never really given a lot of thought to those folks or the wonderful people in Canada who came to their aid in our nation's darkest moments. This story illuminates how the people in Gander opened their hearts and homes while telling how the lives of two women were profoundly changed.
Erica, the stuffy businesswoman/scientist, and Abby, the free spirit, are thrown together by happenstance and while each admit to themselves an attraction, neither is ready for the depth of emotion unlocked during the 96 Hours they spend together.
If you enjoy a good love story (and who doesn't?) you should enjoy this book.
on November 11, 2011
I thought this was terrific. A gutsy move to write a 9/11 story, but a very fresh take on it. Heartbreaking, funny, touching, and what a juxtaposition of good versus evil. If Beers hadn't pointed out that it's based on true events in Gander, you'd swear she was making it up (OK, she did). (So unbelievable there's a snopes.com entry for it!) It could have been longer(!), there were a couple spots where I thought she slipped into telling rather than showing that could have been effective, but like Spencer Tracy said, "what's there is cherce." Love the cover! I'm so glad this story got told because while I knew planes had been diverted to Gander, I had no idea what happened there. And despite what a great story Gander is, Beers still manages to make the main romance shine through.
on November 14, 2011
Georgia Beers hasn't written a novel which I didn't like very much and I dare say "96 Hours" is her best!

I don't think even we non-Americans will ever forget 9/11 (the TV reports are still very alive in my head) and this novel tells the story of people who, flying towards New York on the fateful morning, survived.

So, this novel deals with a lot of very serious issues, but is also full of love and laughter, of wonderful people helping each other. It tells about how this tragedy changed people, for the better.

And there is the love story - two wonderfully created characters, first opposite as two people can be, and through growing, find themselves loving each other.

A wonderful novel! Thank you Georgia for writing it!
on November 21, 2011
Scientist Erica Ryan is flying home to the USA after an unsuccessful business trip to London. She isn't in the best of moods, all she wants to do is to get home and sleep in her own bed.

Abby Hayes is flying to New York City to spend a few days with her mother before flying off to visit friends in San Francisco.

Neither women will reach their destinations. Their plane has been diverted to Gander, Canada following the closure of USA airspace due to the tragic events of 9/11.

Standoffish Erica first notices Abby in the airport before their departure. She wasn't enamoured with Abby's flighty friendly happy go lucky ways.

When Erica and Abby find themselves thrown together in Gander for 96 hours, initially Erica is not happy. But then both women find themselves feeling attracted to one another.

Will Erica and Abby act on their attraction? Will they even remain friends when they return to their everyday lives? Or are their feelings caused by the tidal wave of emotions felt due to the devastation of 9/11?

Although this book is a fictional romance, it has obviously been well researched and is based on stories following the horrendous events of 9/11. An event, although happening on USA soil affected the whole world in many ways.

This is not just a romance. There is a lot of heartfelt emotion and feeling in this book. It is a story of how kind people can be and how they will rally together in times of great need. A story told with compassion. A story of personal conflict and personal change. A story of how love can come from the deepest despair and the disastrous events of 9/11.

The characters Erica and Abby couldn't be more different, but opposites do attract. There is a fantastic cast of supporting characters, each and every one of them essential to the story, which moves along smoothly and quickly. My one wish would have been for a longer book. I really didn't want this book to end. Another winner for Georgia Beers.
on August 9, 2014
I always enjoy Georgia Beer's work, but this novel gave us a look at 911 from a different perspective. I never even knew what happened to the folk in flight that day when American airspace was shut down. It was heartwarming to again experience the love and caring from folks we never met or knew before and how this moment in time has been engraved in our hearts, minds, and souls forever. Awesome! Thanks!
on May 25, 2012
I was a bit of a skeptic about a 9/11 love story. The emotions from that day come back so easily - remembering where I was, the fear and confusion a lot of us felt - all of those feelings that come back so fresh when I read about or see replays of these events. Georgia Beers does an incredible job of telling this story in a way that, yes, brings up those emotions but confronts all of those feelings of fear and confusions with the contrasting kindess and love by the people of Gardner. This story took me back to the feelings I had at the time, and I found it to be very real. It reminded me more importantly the way that everyone came together. The fact that what happened in Gardner really did happen made it an even better story. Having all of those strong emotions around 9/11 it was so easy to relate to the experiences of the different characters that Beers does such a good job of bringing to life. The characters were so real, and I found myself wishing they really existed. This was a great love story that I felt so connected to I couldn't put it down. Highly recommend this book.
on July 13, 2016
I read this book in one day - couldn't put it down!

It must have been hard to write about romance in the wake of the tragedy of 9/11, but Georgia Beers pulls it off so well! The story never dragged. There were no parts to skip over or slog through. Each chapter flowed so well into the next, it made me want to keep reading.

All the characters are believable, likeable and lovable, and you will find yourself feeling what they felt throughout the book. Now, my only problem is deciding which of Beers' books to read next!
on September 14, 2014
This book has been in my TBR pile for a while and as September 11th approached I felt it was time to read it. I enjoyed this book. It was an evening read and opened to me a part of the happenings of 9/11 that I hadn’t considered much. I and the nation were so focused on the horror we were watching and rewatching and rewatching as the airplanes stuck the towers that I gave little thought to the people who were stuck in out of the way places because the air space over the United States was closed.
Ms. Beers has taken a real incident and placed us in a story while maintaining the human condition of disbelief, pain, anger, and fear. She has given us a story that while occurring during such a profound evil gives us hope that there is still kindness and goodness on the Earth.

I give this a 3.5 and as a math person I always round up. Before 9/11, Abby is the fiddling grasshopper , and Erica, the focused ant. They have this earth shattering event occur, they connect, then go their separate ways “feeling changed”. Then meet again at Ground Zero where they reconnect. Abby feels a bit shallow to me. Her growth is a predictable arc. She is 25 and been protected and not challenged much. Erica has been challenged a lot and grown a shell that is entirely work focused. 9/11 and their connection causes both to reexamine their paths and grow.

People do bond in a crisis. The secondary characters formed a good balance to Erica and Abby. Ms. Beers developed the bonds that would lead to form the family like connections that would lead into the future.

3 1/2 Stars ... Kindle edition is well formatted. There are some minor editing issues but not anything that will detract from the enjoyment of this novel.
on December 14, 2011
I have always enjoyed Ms. Beers's books and this one is no exception. I can actually relate some to the character Erica (loved the reference of why one packs earbuds when traveling <smile>) and just loved how the story unfolds and the characters change through the story line. Ms. Beers always brings the surroundings to life, and like others have said even though the backdrop for this is 9/11 she handles it with such richness, tenderness and laughter I just could not put the book down. And agree with others, it really does make you believe in the kindness of strangers and makes you wonder would we do the same (I hope so). Once again her story telling is weaved in a way that takes you there (Gander in this case)and explores the life of the main characters as well as depth to the sub-characters and just love the way Ms. Beers writes-each book feels fresh in the writing, the characters and the surroundings, cannot wait for her next one and truely hope this one is up for an award with her peers!
on February 6, 2012
I had the pleasure of meeting Georgia Beers in PTown during women's week. She was promoting 96 Hours. As a good rule of thumb I will read anything that she puts out because I like her as an author. However, and this is a big "however" I really couldn't foresee that I would read this one. In fact, I told her that there was really no way that I would be able to read it. Using 9/11 as a backdrop for a story is pretty brave, but I know that I personally still get incredibly emotional even discussing 9/11 so I couldn't imagine putting myself in a situation where I would willingly read a story that revolves around those events. Thus, the avoidance began. Except it keeps popping up in my recommended to read lists and finally someone I know on Goodreads wrote a review that they liked it. So, I decided to suck it up and be brave and read it.

I read the book yesterday and yes there were several spots that made me cry; the brief recounts of the planes striking the towers and the aftermath. Thank God I was smart enough to read it when I was not suffering from PMS or I might have shorted out my Kindle. Having said that, I think Georgia Beers handled the book in a way that lets the reader understand the events that throws Erica and Abby together without overwhelming them. The best description I can say is that she handled it sensitively while letting the characters work through the tragedy and make connections to each other and the people around them.

I'm glad that I read the book. I liked how Georgia Beers handled the characters and how they were changed by the events. It felt real and relatable because I don't know anyone who was not changed by those events in large and small ways. Would I recommend other people read it, absolutely, with a small caveat: if you were in or near NYC on 9/11 maybe read it with a box of tissue and a glass of wine when you are not PMSing.