4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and somewhat enlightening "thoughtography"
Forgive me if my critique is not "pithy"

I couldn't wait to read this book. I bought it this morning and left work early so I could read it. Why? Because Bill Oreilly fascinates me and I thought his memoir would give some real answers as to how this man, who truly is an American original, thinks.

First off, I actually had the privilege of meeting and...
Published on September 23, 2008 by Barack Obeagle

3.0 out of 5 stars Give Bill a Break
The one-star reviews must be pre-boomers, because I found the book entertaining to those of us who came of age in the 60s and 70s; so what if the guy has an ego? He deserves it, given his upbringing and sense of family. Much of his humor is self-deprecating; so he fights for the the "little guys and gals?" This was meant to be a memoir (Get It?), not a political...
Published on September 30, 2008 by A. Keith Barton

‹ Previous | 1 2 358 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the gut busting book of unstoppable laughter I thought it would be., November 16, 2009
I purchased this book as a gift for my Grandmother who had been scouring used and new bookstores in Salem, Oregon for months and months trying to find it, with no such luck. Everywhere family members looked it was sold out. And everwhere we asked about it we were told it was hard to find because it was such a darn good read. Well, the reviews were enough to hype Grannie up but all this word of mouth around us got us even more reved up to get our hands on it. Being the savvy girl I am, I went onto Amazon.com to find it and the reviews here seemed to be just as good as we read elsewhere. Grannie got her book within the 2 weeks promised and I sat back with a grin on my face anticipating her reaction...and was so surprised when I got it. It was "just okay" as she put it. Some parts are pretty funny, but as a whole it really wasn't what she thought it was going to be. She passed it on to my Mother, who after reading it, passed it on to other family members,...and on and on and on... but everyone had the same disapointed expressions and opinions about it. "It's really not as funny as I thought it would be." "One or two parts were pretty funny, but pretty disapointed in the rest. Its not at all what I thought it would be." Thats all I kept hearing over and over again. "not what I thought it would be," Granted, everyone has their opinions. SOme people might find it hilarious, but be prepared, its not the gut-busting book of unstoppable laugher that its been hyped up to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read On Bill O'Reilly's Upbringing, July 21, 2009
"A Bold Fresh Piece Of Humanity" is the first title I have read by Bill O'Reilly and really enjoyed the title. I appreciate O'Reilly because he confronts both Republicans and Democrats when they need it!

Among the areas covered in the book include:

1. His early family life.
2. Catholic school upbringing (I am not a Catholic, but some public school systems could learn a thing or two from Catholic schools) and how a nun's remark bears the book's title.
3. His early "edge" - refusing to be intimidated by others.
4. His thoughts on various issues (religion, self-reliance, conservatives and liberals, standing for your principles no matter the cost, thoughts on various politicians and other people of power).
5. Reflections on his long-standing friendships (this was my personal favorite because all too often our busy lifestyles and transient neighborhoods all too often are a barrier to establishing long-lasting and deep friendships).

The book contains many examples of O'Reilly's self-deprecating humor. For those of you who do not like O'Reilly, guess what - he really doesn't care!!!

I easily read through the book and the narrative flows freely. My only major complaint is that I would have liked to learn more about his current family life.

Complaint aside, I recommend the book for anyone, regardless of what you think of Bill O'Reilly.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spending a few hours with "Mr. Bill", February 20, 2010
This is quite an interesting book. When you read it, you find a kinder, gentler person than the sometimes annoying interrupting know-it-all on his tv show. Bill O'Reilly thinks he knows something about everything, and he isn't reluctant to share that belief with anyone.

Being a lawyer, I really get steamed when he argues the law with his female lawyer guests and, in his most pontifical mode, "tells them where they're wrong". I always yell at the tv 'Go to law school before making such ridiculous comments!" Even so, I do enjoy his program, because he really does appear to be sticking up for "the folks".

It's quite clear that his upbringing had a lot to do with the way he is today. I also was raised in a reasonably middle-classed family, and spent 16 years in Catholic schools. Nuns and I were natural enemies, and I remember some of the absolutely horrid report cards I'd get, and they were well deserved. Going out very early on a frigid, snowy morning to serve Mass was also part of my upbringing.

Despite our similarities, I didn't become a "bloviating" commentator, but I guess that someone has to fill that position, or else the rich and powerful will walk all over us. If you like O'Reilly you'll probably like this book; if you don't, you won't.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can relate..., October 17, 2009
Phaedrus (London, Ohio) - See all my reviews
Having said that, I will offer that I, too, am a private person and keep my personal and professional life at a distance from one another.

First I must admit that I initially assumed that the title implied that 'bold' and 'fresh' were adjectives used in a self-congratulatory kind of way. It soon became apparent that it was meant as an admonition by the strict authoritarian figures who were Bill's early mentors. To be clear, Bold was not something you wanted to be perceived as in a classroom run by a nun. Fresh... even worse still. It implies a sense of disrespect for the authoritarian.

Both traits, however, are needed more than ever in a society that has done it's best to stifle and destroy independent thought and critical thinking.

I was especially pleased for an insight into the mind and persona of O'Reilly. I don't always agree with O'Reilly on his opines, but I always respect and admire his critical analysis and professional apoproach to topics he covers. I appreciate the way he holds to task those who are less than straight forward with their agenda and actions.

This is a good read that will inspire you to be more involved in your world and reveal the cards of those who would abuse your best interests.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious Bloviating!!, October 23, 2009
I like Bill O'Reilly and I like his book, but I'm not sure everyone will. I don't think I've ever known anyone who is so self-absorbed and who sees life as such a battlefield as he. You get this view almost immediately as you watch his `Factor': each guest on almost each question gets cut-off as Bill O'Reilly pumps for more information, more clarification, or spouts an objection. I have never seen anyone with as much self-confidence and wonder how he ever got it. Not envious, mind you, just puzzled by it.

That said, the book is very enlightening and entertaining. As he describes his evolution from a Catholic grammar school boy through a Harvard post-graduate young man, you get a keen sense of the times and more than a sense of him. It is laugh-out-loud funny as he remembers the 50's and the 60's; you are impressed by the cluelessness of the parents and teachers of the time defined by the WWII aftermath and the subsequent revolt against that. I hope we present day parents are more enlightened, but maybe our kids will say the same things about us. Hope not!

This book is some serious bloviating, to use his word. Read it if you think you can deal with him and I think you will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I didn't do it sista...."-Clem, September 9, 2009
Of course he did it, everybody saw it-so much for confession. But Clem was the class clown at St. Brigid's School who was always the last guy in line for confession because he'd always irritate the priest. "You did what!" And of course, all his friends, like William, would want to know how it went.

"William, you are a bold, fresh piece of humanity!"-Sister Mary Lurana. So that's how the book got such a strange title. Bill O'Reilly, the bold, fresh guy, tells his life story in this book. I have never laughed so hard for so many pages as when I read about St. Brigid's school play. Page after page, I continued laughing and crying so hard, it was painful. Clem, once again, gave new meaning to how the "rock cries out"!

My whole family is in the process of reading this book, and we all love it!

"For me, that's the most frustrating part of life: seeing evil individuals continue to harm people with impunity. That's why I created the Factor, to hold those people accountable."-Bill O'Reilly

Bill O'Reilly's my kind of guy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bold and Fresh, August 2, 2009
Jan "Book Lover" (Port St Lucie Fl USA) - See all my reviews
Just finished A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity and I must say that Sister Lurana got it right. Bill is both bold and fresh and his take on politics is also bold and fresh and I really identify with him. He tells it like it is, apologizes to no one (nor should he) for his opinions. Keep it up Bill. There are those of us who really appreciate your views. We aren't Democrat or Republican. We are Independant thinkers, just like you, who want whats best for our once great country. I know that with more people like you, we can once again be A GREAT AMERICA.

Buy this book. You will not regret it and you will learn much.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity, August 22, 2009
J. M. Matthews (Severna Park, Md. USA) - See all my reviews
Took it on vacation. and it was just right. Not too light or too heavy (content, not the weight of the book). would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, March 19, 2010
J. Hahn (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
Perhaps this is out of place since I didn't purchase the hardcover edition on Amazon...rather, I purchased the audio version through Audible. I've listened to the entire book three times now and could do it again and again. I'm slightly older than Bill by about a year but that's an insignificant difference 60 years later. We took entirely different paths through our lives, but I think we've arrived at much the same point now as regards our irritation with nanny-state government policies, massive spending, and so on. To keep this short, I admire Bill immensely for what he's accomplished and his book is very entertaining and, for the most part, an insightful examination of where he came from. One character that stands out for me is his father. His "pithy" responses to things Bill did or said, are treasures. I've decided to adopt the one he used when Bill complained about the fan blowing hot humid air into his face. Precious! The next time my grand kids complain about the Internet connection being too slow, that's my response.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bold Fresh Piece of Humankty, December 18, 2009
I found Bill O'Reilly's "A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity" a very entertaining, fast moving and educational read. The charming simplicity of its sincere and motivating tale makes of this book an opportunity for the reader to assume life as beautiful. In engaging, candid, understated prose, the author strings together forceful and stimulating memories of his somewhat adventurous and picaresque life. His anecdotal and pleasant narrative lays out observations and reminiscences that entertain and create a true atmosphere of cultural learning. Furthermore, he depicts in a joyful way the charms of ordinary life, which are very often overlooked in our modern world of advanced technology and unprecedented comfort. He draws a vivid picture of his community involvement when he endeavors to energize into action. "A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity" is indeed a truly remarkable and congenial personal story that evokes, in many ways, another engaging and captivating autobiography, which is "Odyssey to Opportunity".

‹ Previous | 1 2 358 | Next ›

A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity
A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity by Bill O'Reilly (Paperback - May 4, 2010)
$15.99 $10.66