5.0 out of 5 stars This book is soooo well drawn!!!
Published on October 18, 2011 by Tran Huyen Trang

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Art, Boring Shojo Sexism
Published 6 months ago by Hyena

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is soooo well drawn!!!, October 18, 2011
This review is from: A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (Hardcover)
And the content is super sweet to me. I'm actually fed up with silly puppy romance in manga so that I haven't read manga for a long time. Then I found this book and I'm drawn to it. It's not only beautiful in drawing but the plot is also plausible. The context of the manga is also quite historical, which is absolutely not boring if you like ancient knowledge. What else can I say? I have never bought any manga, but reading this online, I knew I had to get it. I'm so satisfied with this hard cover book. It makes the manga more elegant? I'm bad at words. I love it. Kaoru Mori is such a devoting artist. I do not remember names, but I know such a mangaka.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful art, original story, January 12, 2012
This review is from: A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (Hardcover)
'A Bride's Story' is not a typical, cliche manga. There is a solid plot with real heart and lovingly-rendered art in this series. The historical setting and its characters is original and full of fascinating details of the real culture of this region. For those who like their manga with real craftsmanship and storytelling quality, 'A Bride's Story' can't come more highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great volume!, February 16, 2014
Plot:
Chapter 6 was about Amir going to Oven Day, a day where the women gather and bake bread in a special room. With this chapter, I felt we got a better sense of the town and another piece of the culture and lives of these people. It was a pretty short chapter, but it felt like it was longer.

Chapter 7 and 8 were two parts and dealt with the conflict of Amir's clan trying to reclaim her so they could marry her off to the Numaji tribe. It had a lot of action, which was quite surprising, but I quite enjoyed it. Again, another reason I loved these two chapters was the sense of the townsfolk and the unity they had with one another. I love their community. It's so warm that I really wish I lived there.

Chapter 9 dealt with aftermath of the battle. Honestly, I was very confused with this chapter and I didn't understand quite what was going on through Amir's head or why she acted the way she did. Wait - I just reread this chapter - wow I'm slow. Well, don't want to spoil, so just read it.

Chapter 10 was without a doubt my favourite chapter! It was about cloth embroidery and I loved how Kaoru Mori dived into the topic. It's a fascinating and wonderful tradition, that's passed down through the women. To me, this one feels like one of the largest pieces to their culture. It was also very heartwarming and I loved how Tileke's female relatives told her about their family history of embroidery and how much it seems to mean to them.

Chapter 11 - In the first volume, I was curious to why Smith was in the Eihon household and what his goals and plans were. I was curious to learn more about him. This whole chapter was dedicated to him and leads up into the next volume, which seems like it will be about his travels into another town. I'm not sure how I feel about that, honestly. I really love the Eihon household and their town, but I don't think the author is going to totally ditch them in the next volume. Well, if you wanted to know more about Smith, you definitely do in this chapter (and way more, I assume, in the next volume).

Main Character:
Amir's feelings for Karluk have started to grow in this volume. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. Before, it seemed like it was slightly leaning on friendliness, and now it's more romantic. I probably won't really mind it, as I'm interested to see how this progresses in the future. Some background was given to Amir's family, but I wish we could have explored that more.

Other Characters:
Smith: We learn tons about Smith in this volume and I'm guessing the next volume will be mostly centered around him. At first I didn't understand the point of his character, but after reading the last chapter where he narrates what he's learned, it seems like he's trying to connect to this culture from an outside point of view. That was interesting, seeing this culture from Smith's point of view and his understanding of it.

Azel: Azel relationship with his sister Amir is explored a little. It wasn't enough though! I hope we learn more about about him and what exactly he feels about his clan.

Tileke: I liked that because Tileke is so young, we learn the traditions girls grow up with through her.

New Characters:
Pariya: A young girl that becomes quick friends with Amir and seems to have really taken a shine to her. She's sharp tongued and not very good at expressing her feelings. I found her to be very cute and I hope she'll appear more in the future.

Art:
The cover is quite relevant to the volume, with Amir hunting that deer and all, but I wish it was different. It's way too similar to the first cover. I also just noticed that under the title page in each volume, there's this cute pattern. Volume one's was a goat and volume two's is a horse.

Theories:
This might be obvious, but I'm pretty sure more light will be shed on the Numaji tribe in the future. They'll probably even be the antagonists. I hope that remains a slight sub-plot though and doesn't overtake the slice-of-life story.

Overall:
(5/5) Another great volume! I loved learning more about the culture and the townsfolk. I also enjoyed how Kaoru Mori managed to make this a slice-of-life but still incorporate a sub plot. If you enjoyed volume one, then go out and get a copy of volume 2! I'm curious to see how the next volume will turn out, since it seems like it will probably follow Smith and be set in a different town.

5.0 out of 5 stars Continuing excellence., June 8, 2013
This review is from: A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (Hardcover)
A Bride's Story is a slice of life story and this volume stands pretty well on it's own, with the key situational elements easy to pick up on. That said it is a direct continuation from volume 1 and features the same characters, so it's best to start there.

** This review contains no spoilers either volume. **

Volume 2 continues to follow Amir as she adjusts to life in her new village with her young husband and new family. The first half picks up the pace a bit from volume 1. The spotlight is on Amir further integrating into her new home and the ties she's formed, culminating in a touchy political situation with her former family boiling over. As always Mori's focus is firmly on the characters and everything evolves naturally from their reactions to unfolding events. The second half quiets down again with enchanting chapters about swirling emotions and the weight of tradition, and ends with a change in the status quo. I really enjoyed everything here, and it's little character moments and the depth of emotion conveyed that elevates this manga to something unique and special. The accessibility Mori gives to a time period and way of life that is very strange to today's mindset is a wonderful accomplishment in itself.

Adding to A Bride's Story's impressiveness is the most amazing art I've ever seen. Perfect composition and flow, an absurd level of detail, and incredible facial expressions and body language. Every panel of every page is carefully designed and of extremely high quality.

Overall the second volume of A Bride's Story is just as great as the first and expands its engaging look into Amir and Karluk's world and lives.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hardship for Amira in this volume, but love prevailed, August 9, 2012
This review is from: A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (Hardcover)
Just as good as the first volume! Couldn't wait to pick up the next! I read the first three in one sitting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Art, Boring Shojo Sexism, May 18, 2014
This review is from: A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (Hardcover)
I study comics about women and girls from a scholastic standpoint, so when I picked up Volume 1 of this series, I was impressed with, not only the artwork, but Amir, this interesting, empowering character. But this empowerment goes downhill with the start of Volume 2 and only plummets further with the subsequent chapters. As a rule, this is how most shojo manga narratives run:
1. Woman/Girl is strong, independent, and effective as a protector and leader.
2. Woman/Girl meets a naive, weak, or immature man/boy.
3. Woman/Girl slowly falls in love as the man/boy matures.
4. Woman/Girl gradually becomes more dependent on the man/boy.
5. Man/boy rescues woman/girl, who has become weak and helpless. Her helplessness makes the man/boy appear strong.
6. Woman/Girl tries to be noble and strong but is ineffective. Her male love interest must rescue her repeatedly throughout the series.
6. Story ends with "rightful" gender roles in place.
This story is heading in this direction like many other female-centric manga. It saddens me that Amir is going to be forced into the traditional role of damsel in distress. Mangaka have the power to change this sexist and inaccurate dynamic by not following such cliche conventions, but rarely do they ever deviate. If you want a series that empowers women, read the first volume, then find something else. "A Bride's Story" completely removes its focus from this amazing character and transforms her into the "weaker sex." For more empowering, female-centric manga, I recommend "Revolutionary Girl Utena," "Sailor Moon," "Maximum Ride," "Cardcaptor Sakura," and "Magic Knight Rayearth." Sexism aside, the story is turtle-paced unless Amir is at the center.

With all that being said, the artwork is amazing and unrivaled. Few artists from around the world could match Mori's skill. But she needs better writer...

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes men can enjoy a pink collord manga named "A Brides Story.", March 2, 2014
This review is from: A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (Hardcover)
If you have read the first volume of this then you already understand the beauty of this manga, how ever if you have not then let me explain. This manga is like a masterpiece of painstakingly detailed art every page, with great story to go along with it. This manga can be enjoyed by either men or women, it may be pink, it may be named "A Bride's Story," but if you are willing to give it a chance then you will not be disappointed.

A Bride's Story, Vol. 2
A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 by Kaoru Mori (Hardcover - October 25, 2011)
$17.00 $11.84