When I inserted the item into my Apple iPhone 5S the following message appeared:
" This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone. "
It was a fit but it did not work.
UPDATE:
Published 16 months ago by Richard G. Barrett

1.0 out of 5 stars has a mind of its own
one minute it works, one minute it does not. will be returned. I tried a different brand that also did not work.
Published 16 months ago by It's Just Me

4.0 out of 5 stars A-CIGNA (TM) iPhone5 5S 5C iPad mini 8 Pin to 8 Pin Dock Adapter, October 28, 2013
This review is from: A-CIGNA (TM) iPhone5 5S 5C iPad mini LifeProof 8 Pin To 8 Pin Dock Adapter (Wireless Phone Accessory)
It was a fit but it did not work.
UPDATE:
I received an email from A-CIGNA suggesting that I "adjust the downward direction of the item, insert the item into the iPhone 5S and restart the phone." If this didn't work A-CIGNA offered me a free replacement or a refund.
I tried it and it worked!
I have therefore adjusted my rating from one star to four stars. Thank you very much A-CIGNA.

1.0 out of 5 stars has a mind of its own, October 30, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars did not work, November 1, 2013
i used this with an iHome docking station, and, it did not work. Got a message on the iphone 5S mentioning that the accessory is not compatible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of Junk, do NOT waste your money, December 6, 2013
Piece of junk. Fell apart in my hands after less than a few weeks of use. It was put in place, and only the phone going on and off caused this thing to disintegrate. If only Apple or some other reliable manufacturer made an identical adapter, I would pay double what this thing cost. Go buy a sandwich or something, just click away from this page.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful what you use this with, November 25, 2013
The one I had failed after a few uses. A little too much weight forward or backward when on the docking station bent the pins inside the unit to where they stop making contact with its mating piece, essentially rendering the unit useless. I was able to find and use a lightning extension cable and so far no issues. This may actually be a good device, but most likely only with the devices it was meant for, it should not be considered a "universal" adapter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Charging Roulette., March 4, 2014
This item worked well for me but only in one orientation. If I flip it around it often won't work at all. I also did have to take an exacto blade to the plastic surrounding the male end. The connector opening on my iPhone case was still too thin to get this extender in without modification.

So, I'm glad I bought it, but improvements could be made:
1. Make it reversible
2. Thin the plastic down to the same size as the stock cable so that we KNOW it will fit our case

EDIT: And now after 3.5 months of ownership, I will plug in my phone to my alarm dock with this adapter before I go to sleep. When I awake, sometimes my phone is charged. Most times it is not. Can't recommend this product. VERY frustrating.

1.0 out of 5 stars this item is virtually unusable. It is made to ..., July 14, 2014
this item is virtually unusable. It is made to pass throughout the LifeProof case but does not hold a connection.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, July 27, 2014
The lightning connector bent and then snapped off within the first 24 hours of having the product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, July 13, 2014
Eh

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but didn't work with most iHome products I have, June 18, 2014
My iPhone 5 wouldn't charge using this but my iPad Air would. Two of the iHome products I use didn't allow enough room for the base of the item, therefore basically unusable for what I wanted it for.