Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A California Childhood
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 12, 2013
If you pick up this book and start reading, you're not going to get your run-of-the-mill, "We had four brothers....mom was great" autobiography. Franco is more of a human being than that; he's an artist.

He's respects art, and you'll see why. I'm a firm believer in whatever past you've had, it shapes the present and future self. My dad over here in Ohio never took me to any religious festivities outside of Catholicism, while Franco's dad took him to a Hindu ritual in which Franco wrote about in his college essay. Maybe it's the west-coast mentality of broadening your child's horizons; in which, shaped Franco into who he is today...

While having the typical autobiographic paragraph or two of exposition of him growing up, he's included tons of family photographs, several poems, paintings that he's done. He even wrote short stories about fictional characters, even though they sound a lot like his experiences. This all, representing his childhood.

Such a fun read and a great purchase... That is, if you respect art and literature like Franco does... and picking his very-aloof brain a bit further than you can get by watching Letterman interviews on YouTube is worth the twenty dollars alone.
on July 16, 2013
This is a nice book, not a great book, which highlights many of Franco's obvious talents. It's a book for browsing: beautifully produced, with about a zillion photographs of James and his family resulting in a pleasant nostalgic feel and it contains several artworks, poems and short-stories by Franco himself. He is attractive and talented and clearly aware of this fact, although not in a narcissistic or off-putting way. His own reminiscences as a young man growing up in California and his accounts of other young men and adolescents growing up (fictionalized autobiographical accounts, one guesses) all culminate in a volume which is satisfying and enjoyable. Nice to have on one's book-shelves.
on March 21, 2013
Rating: 3.9* of five

The Book Description: In A California Childhood Franco plays with the concept of memoir through personal snapshots, sketches, paintings, poems, and stories. "I was born in 1978 at Stanford Hospital and spent my first eighteen years in a single house at the end of a cul-de-sac in Palo Alto," Franco writes in his introduction. Steve Jobs's daughter and the grandson of one of the Hewlett-Packard founders may have both been in his graduating class, but just across the freeway from his home turf lay East Palo Alto, which in 1992 had the highest murder rate per capita in the country. For Franco, the terrain of his upbringing is fraught with the complication of a city divided. But within that diversity, universal aspects of adolescence rise to the surface, and those are the subjects at the heart of Franco's work.

Ultimately this is a portrait of a childhood brightened by California sunshine, but with trouble awaiting in the shadows. At turns funny, dark, and emotional, the journey of this book delivers an undeniable immediacy. And at the end the reader is left wondering just where the line of Franco's art ends and where his true life begins.

My Review: I reviewed on GoodReads Franco's debut collection of short stories, [Palo Alto], last year, and gave it some good props. I liked Franco's storytelling, and I liked the take he brought to being a kid in a place and at a time of great change.

Back we go to the same well, childhood in Palo Alto, for this more multimedia experience of being young and beautiful in Paradise. Photos, photos, gawd did this kid have photos taken of him! For this many to have made it past his own, his editor's, and the book designer's critical eyes, there must be heaps the size of minor Himalayas in boxes on his mom's garage floor. It's no surprise, I guess, since the aforementioned beauty is much in evidence.

So what does this memoir offer that a troll through the Googleverse doesn't? Gorgeous production values, for one, the Chinese have outdone themselves printing this book. The four-color images are lush to the point of humidity, and the black-and-whites are process printed, too. This wasn't a slapped-together job. Thought and care went into making these images ready for the page. The author's paintings are to one's taste or not, I'm on the lukewarm side, but they're very very well presented in design placement, separation, and printing. The choice to use endsheets printed with the author's journaling (his handwriting looks *exactly* like I'd expect it to) was wise, it sets a tone the rest of the book delivers on; the dustjacket is almost obscene it's so luxurious, let me just say Savonarola would reserve a special bonfire for it; but one of the nicest touches, and one most buyers won't ever pay attention to, is the printed, matte-coated casewrap. It's a detail from one of Franco's paintings. It's beautiful. The book qua book is sumptuous and delightful.

Part I is the photo-album-esque visual record of growing up slightly off in a world of identities that don't quite fit. Smiles and happy faces, brothers loved and mothers adored, fathers who look like movie stars, friends of a kid who is marked out in some weird way and so is more, better, extra. Notes and jottings from the middle-aged man that kid is now. (Yeah, 35 is middle age, sorry.) Flip through and sigh. Open up and study the random image you land on. What comes across? What, in this medium of optical illusion presenting the highly mediated imagery of a past you can't know, is your place in the text? Reader, viewer, voyeur, stalker.

But you have permission.

Then it gets personal in Part II. The stories that Franco writes are not stylistically adventurous, thank goodness, but they aren't wimpy-simpy Look Ma I'm A Writer bores. They're Sherwood Anderson-y pieces about people you know that you know. "Friend of the Devil" should resonate with the under-40s. I found it touching, and I remember it...but I would, I'm the old guy who remembers people on his block by the cars they drive. Makes others crazy. "Oh, the orange Rubicon guy." "She's the RAV4 in the ugly house."

They're stories, that is to say explicitly fiction. Part I, well, make up your own mind, and I suspect Franco is still making up his. Maybe about all of it. He's got depth, this man, and he's got smarts, and he's been educated.

But I still like him. I expect one day to run into him at the Strand, shopping for something in the biographies. If I can work up the nerve (beautiful men make me shaky), I'll fetch a copy of my soul-mate book (Islandia) and by it and thrust it into his basket. "Here," is probably about as eloquent as I'll manage to be. Then stump away before I make a fool of myself by blushing or having a stroke or something.

Then I can imagine Franco not throwing it away, taking it home, bumfuzzled by the weird old guy who dropped a book on him...opening it, browsing it, getting sucked in to its nineteenth-century pace and its gorgeously egalitarian Utopia...and thinking maybe old weird guys are just as young as they ever were, if they can love like this.

"I'd make the claim that this is fiction, but what isn't nowadays?" asks Franco in the Introduction.

on June 10, 2015
A California Childhood by James Franco is a unique, little book. Part I consists mainly of photos and paintings with just enough text to explain; whereas, part II consists of six short stories that Mr. Franco "claims" as fictional. The book is visually appealing, interesting, and very well curated -- almost a mini, coffee-table book. I particularly enjoyed the author's decision to include his high school transcript and college admission essay.
on August 1, 2013
James Franco is, without doubt, one of those rare breeds; an intelligent actor. "A California Childhood" gives him an opportunity to showcase his many talents - writing prose, poetry, art, photography etc.

It is an unusual format for a book - with a compilation of anecdotes from childhood via school reports, his mother's diary entry, photographs from childhood and high school and of course, a compilation of short stories.

Those who have read Franco's "Palo Alto" will know that he mastered the very difficult genre of the short story. His prose is both lyrical and effortless.
on May 25, 2015
Loved the graffiti, photos, and art by James Franco! The fictional (?) tales were interesting :) and typical of James Franco if you are a fan! Just wish my book was autographed for posterity sake... James Franco is one of a kind...amazing!
on November 19, 2015
I don't think James will be winning any noble prizes soon, but as a fan, I enjoy reading these and seeing his photographs and artwork. There's something human about his stories and poems that I think anyone can relate too. Even when he's telling tales about Hollywood, he makes them seem realistic and makes them seem more "like us'. He has a unique way of writing, not sure what exactly he's trying to do but it comes off to me as someone on the edge what they love (classic literature) and trying to stay relevant in todays time and still write in a way that younger people (20's, not kids) will be interested in it. Not sure if it works or not, but it keeps you interested in it. I find his books to be too short, so that must be a good thing if it leaves me wanting more.
on April 14, 2013
First of all, I'd like to thank Mr. Franco for allowing us such intimate access into his life and his formative years. So much of one's worldview and habitual preoccupations are created during childhood and adolescence.

I feel like James gets a lot of flack from people because he uses his own life and experiences as source material for his work (writing and his other artistic pursuits). But I respect him for that exact reason - most people try to create alternate worlds to theoretically escape from their banal existence. James owns his life and all of this experiences (good, bad, trivial, significant) and uses them in a creative, fresh way. As Thoreau once said, "I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined by this theme by the narrowness of my experience".

I thought the book itself was beautifully designed and I also enjoyed the structure of the book. Overall, it's a very intimate look into his early life, including photos, poems, and even his High School report card and his mother's diary from when he was baby.

I have a theory involving the creative mind. From what I've seen, there seems to be a direct link connecting creativity to a heightened sense of observation/attention to detail. Franco proves this theory. In recollecting the smallest of details (ex. "I got rollerblades for Christmas and only used them once"), the book becomes a mosaic of James' childhood - a hodgepodge of memories/moments that make up the man. Almost as a character sketch for his veridical identity.

I particularly liked the addition of the poems and "old paintings". I can wholeheartedly relate to the sports poems, as I was also 'forced' to play soccer as a kid and hated every minute of it. I was the goalie picking dandelions and plucking blades of grass. I really liked his "old paintings", as they reminded me a bit (stylistically) of Jean-Michel Basquiat. I also loved his painting, "Seventh grade".

The handwritten captions made the book feel more personal as well, literally in his own voice (handwriting). The open, honest, and original style of the presentation made the material seem almost privileged - in that, it felt almost intrusive and voyeuristic to be given that much information, with so many intimate details about his life. Which brings me to my next and final point. Having read this book, along with Franco's previous effort "Palo Alto", I wonder how much of the material is pure fiction vs. fictionalized accounts of actual firsthand experiences. The world may never know.

Overall, I liked it, it is an interesting look into the early life of a unique individual.
on June 6, 2013
i had this book read in one day. i laughed at times, felt sad at times and ya almost grosed out and some of the worp things that were wrote, lol. such as; about the guy whom hang a pig head off the front mirrior of his car. omg. who would do that??? either way, i really enjoyed this book. i believe james franco is a very good and yet very differant kind of writer. and i want to read more of his books. thanks very much
on May 19, 2013
There are different judgments when it comes to James Franco. Ranging from those who understand his humor and those that don't. The book shares an excellent amount of Franco's childhood. It isn't a boring read either. Franco includes a fair amount of private pictures and childhood art. I can't personally relate to the sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll that Franco experienced (but I can relate when it comes down to having the same last name). The book might not help you understand him but it will prove that he's not some emot...what the hell just buy the book if your'e a damn James Franco fan. It is beautiful.