The Story of the Costume Drama 1 Season 2008
Amazon Instant Video
1. The Greatest Stories Ever Told Costume dramas have shaped television tastes of today through explosive stories of yesteryear. Edward & Mrs. Simpson rankled royals and the issues seen in Upstairs, Downstairs resulted in a partial ban in the States.
2. The Stars Costume dramas ignited young performers' careers and benefited from the glow of established stars. Alex Kingston's Moll Flanders led her to ER, and Keira Knightley's Lara in Doctor Zhivago got Hollywood calling.
3. Affairs of the Heart The "bodice rippers" of the 1990s helped costume dramas shed their staid reputation as quickly as characters doffed their period garb. Colin Firth's wet-shirt scene in Pride and Prejudice and the romps of Moll Flanders lead the saucy literary adaptations.
4. Picture Perfect The pursuit of high production values drove costume dramas into real castles and countryside. Castle Howard appeared in Brideshead Revisited, Cornwall lent local color to Poldark, and a Lithuanian river became the Thames for Helen Mirren's Elizabeth I.
5. A Call to Arms Costume dramas spawned an army of dashing heroes in uniform, but not all fought with the aplomb of Sharpe or Horatio Hornblower. The Monocled Mutineer opened a controversial chapter of WWI and A Piece of Cake's flying stunts rewrote the Battle of Britain.
|Starring||Keeley Hawes, Paul Annett|
|Supporting actors||Moira Armstrong, Sean Bean, Roberta Brown, Richard Carpenter, Henry Chancellor, Malcolm Craddock, Michael Grade, Andrew Grieve, David Haig, Christopher Halsted, Sarah Hanna, Dorian Healy, Alex Kingston, Hans Matheson, David McCallum, Daragh O'Malley, Anne Pivcevic, Clifford Rose|
|Producers||Jason Beresford, Elspeth Hanna, Richard Makinson, Mark Robinson|
|Purchase rights||Stream instantly and download to 2 locations Details|
|Format||Amazon Instant Video (streaming online video and digital download)|
An absolutely brilliant idea, beautifully executed and interesting to watch in its own right, THE STORY OF THE COSTUME DRAMA is an outstanding new release from Acorn Media. Read morePublished 6 months ago by Jon Wynne
Brought some new shows to my attention while waiting for Downton Abby. I enjoyed it and the star interviews. FUN.Published 13 months ago by tahdahdee
Loved the insider look at some classic costume dramas and got some ideas for ones I haven't yet seen. Great seriesPublished 13 months ago by Meghan Guffee
This mini series - they call it season 1 - is made for the costume drama fan. It tells of Britain's televsion costume dramas from the 60's to today. Read morePublished 14 months ago by J. Beck
I found this to be very informative. It also gave me more than enough viewing ideas for future programs. Read morePublished 14 months ago by cindyszy
As a hopeless Anglophile I loved this....background on so many British dramas, and behind the scenes stuff I had never seen. Really enjoyed thisPublished 14 months ago by garden girl
I am a total sucker for costume dramas. This behind the scenes look at the actors and locations is absolutely fascinating. I highly recommend giving this a watch.Published 15 months ago by Deborah Burrell
We really liked the series, especially the first 4 episodes. It is dated, since it is from 2008, but very entertaining and interesting.Published 15 months ago by Austen lover
Our local PBS station once aired a single episode of this series. I was delighted to find it available on Prime! Read morePublished 16 months ago by Donna Smith