Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on October 27, 2011
First, I give it 4 stars only because very few things in this world ever rate 5 stars.

When I was part way thru, I realized why it had been difficult to get started. I had a little Deja Vu back to when I first read "Dune" by Frank Herbert.

While the stories have no relation whatsoever, they both introduce a brand new universe with new concepts, intrigues, its own vernacular, and you are dropped into a story moving forward with no idea what's transpiring, or why its all happening. So you are first trying to learn a new thought process unique to understanding the story, while also trying to catch up on what appears to be a story with an untold past, as well as the relationship of all the characters, and learning the whole new Universe. But eventually, the past story is told when it needs to be, and like anyone one dropped into a brand new job, you do your on-job training and pretty soon, all the concepts fall into place and you start looking forward to the next twist or turn.

I read a lot of books, and I have never NOT finished one. Sometimes, I just want to get to the end just to find out if I wasted my time. Sometimes, its an interesting story, but when its done, that's all it was -- an interesting story. Sometimes, I don't want to put it down, can't wait to pick it up again, and miss the characters, the story, and the world when it is done because the author made me care about them all, and I wonder what they are doing today. THAT is "A Choice of Treasons".

Slowly we see the main character, York, in not only a different light, but light that keeps changing intensity, focus and direction. I am not only amazed that the author was able to keep track of everything, and where it was all leading, but how many new and different challenges were provided to both the characters and the reader, and none of threads was lost, left unexplained, or came to disappointing conclusions.

And he did all this without the supposition that the readers will know how it all works just cuz we've seen Star Trek and Star Wars.

Although I don't write book reviews and don't know what is SUPPOSED to be said, I have come here to write review because I really, really enjoyed reading this book and think the author deserves a large following. If the first reviewer is right, I look forward to his future publications. It is books like this that will help us all avoid the Agency 6 publishers until they, too, learn how to properly price an ebook.
on October 7, 2012
A perfect blend of focus on the characters & tech. I am no science expert so I can't comment on the accuracy of the technology but wonder of wonders I could follow it! There is enough tech to satisfy(I hope)any science guru while not overloading us laymans.Ah, I loved the main character/hero. Even being the hero he is human & flawed, and doesn't escape unscathed, after all it is war. I loved to hate the nastier characters & the well horrible things they did. I haven't been this anxious while reading in a long while, this book held me from the first page, I rarely give 5 stars but this book very much deserves it.I hope there will be more bks based in this universe but I recommend anything by this author-I've read The Thirteenth man, Child of the sword, & soon When dead ain't dead enough, which were just as wonderful! A huge Thank you to the author can't wait for the next great read!
on September 21, 2012
I actually liked the book and would have given it four or five stars because of the action, twists, and the inventiveness, IF I could actually be sure what was going on. My big bugbear was the editing. Very often the Point of View and characters in the scene itelf, as well as the location would change from one line to the next without any warning whatsoever. Most authors would either start a new chapter, put a string of anything meaningless in the way to show that the scene had changed, or even left three lines or so of space. Not here. Straight on with the story without a break. This meant I had to continually reread to establish where I was. Very annoying. Get a line editor! (NB read on my laptop)
on March 4, 2013
This book is a pure delight to read.
1. It is not a 'coming of age' story. YEAH!!
2. It is both new and familiar so politics can be treated in small doses.
3. It has a plot design from beginning to end that is both complex and fulfilling.
4. It has excellent prose and smart language choices.

My choice for best Sci-Fi single volume read.

My choice for best multi-volume SciFi series would the the Laiden series by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, if that comparison makes sense.
on October 6, 2012
This was a really good that i just could not put down. it was fast paced, but still easy to fallow with lots of space fighting and gun fight's.i really like the main character York who always tried to do what was right and kept on moving forward. i hope that the Arthur will wright more about York life and the world that he lives in.

one more thing to mention is that i have never read a book that had the main character get hurt so much . i mean this guy was losing arm's leg's lost a eye and even had his hart taken out a few times, got to say he's hard core
on February 12, 2012
A Choice of Treasons is a long, fun read and is available at an absurdly low price. Buy it.

I may have given this book 5 stars had I not previously read The 13th Man, a book written after and set in the past of A Choice of Treasons. ACOT was good, but the writing isn't as well done as in the writer's later book. I didn't particularly like how the main character, York, was so good at doing everything. A few more character flaws would have been nice. Also, it was at times hard to keep track of who's who of the plotting conspirators in the background. There were so many and only a few of them individualized themselves. Those small complaints aside, everything else was very enjoyable.
on February 22, 2016
I stumbled onto this book doing research on lasers in space... the author had a long career as a physicist which is all the more interesting because his physics and technology never gets in your face. What little you need to know about the technology is revealed as and when needed. You're only told it's a fifty-one megatonne nuke because wow, that's a big nuke! The working out of the technology is left as an exercise to the reader - this is a good thing. Also, the author is not caught out in the embarrassing situation of getting simple maths wrong which I've seen elsewhere. It's military SF but not full of the usual Horatio Hornblower in space stuff (not that I have ever read a Horatio Hornblower novel but I have read Honor Harringtons...). The door is not left open for a tiresome trilogy of trilogies with a repeat formula and wanting that cat-thing on Honor's shoulder to die a horrible death. Instead, we want to know more about the world the characters live in. So, I'm definitely going to check out more of the TreasonVerse.

The characters are certainly put through the grinder, and this is one of the few novels that actually looks at the physical and psychological cost of war. Even with all the advanced technology at their disposal, the characters are very human in that they can only take so much. Even the genetically enhanced super-warriors have their own complex psychology and culture, successfully making them human and alien at the same time. The political intrigues which go through the book remind me a lot of Dune, as does the level of worldbuilding, and there are no Kwisatz Haderachs to be had here. My main complaint with the story is keeping track of the minor characters. Too often (especially some of the Marines) they are referred to just by a single name, no rank and no distinguishing characteristics.

The story is well-written, language is evocative but not overly descriptive. It's a page turner and well worth the small sum of whatever that I paid for it.
on February 24, 2013
This is the story of a lifer, a junior officer who is never to be promoted but always to be stationed on the front lines, and how he will make the difference in resolving an intrigue which will affect the Empire and the course of the war. I enjoyed the action and intrigue sequences in this mil sci-fi novel which has many space battles and land combat. The action sequences are the strength of this novel and kept me interested in the story through the end. Unfortunately, there were issues with characterization and use of poor plot devices which had me cringing too many times. Too many characters were caricatures that lacked in depth and credibility. Also, there was too frequent use of implausible plot devices to escape from near impossible situations (aka deus ex machina) which were primarily related to ability to hack computer systems at will. For those looking for a good mil sci-fi action story, and are willing to forgive some characterization and plot device issues, this should be a fine story.

No significant editing issues were noted. A choice of Treasons is 13,528 Kindle locations long. Standard length "paperback" novels seem to run in the 4,500 to 7,000 plus Kindle location range. Long novels can range from 15,000 to 20,000 plus Kindle locations. UPDATE: Author's website had a post indicating that prequel stories can be expected in late 2013 or 2014.
on March 28, 2016
Really well done story which could have been told very poorly. Other than a few matters the protagonist was interesting and well intentioned. The annoying matter was that he did not get rid of the his rotten, hateful nemesis, even though he would not have been punished anymore for that act, since he was already facing the strongest possible punishments.

It was hard to put down, which is always, a good indicator of how well a book is written.
on November 8, 2015
The book is better than most--and I wasn't that thrilled about the price. The length justified the price except a tighter edit would have not only reduced the length but made the read flow better. This author has talent--the overall story is strong, there were few typos and there is plenty of action, intrigue and suspense. One star is taken away because I had to wade through heavy handed prose to get to the storyline.