5.0 out of 5 stars Wholly Original--Even Experimental--Poetry, January 1, 2010
This review is from: A Collection of Verse (Paperback)
In spite of the generic title, this collection of poems by Eliza Earsman is creative, experimental and unique.

I can't remember who said it recently--one of our US state's poet laureates, I think--that poets need to roam afar from the personal more often. Earsman does that, though the personal is always there.

For one thing her passion is evident. I think students of poetry might also study her use of dialect. It is especially interesting because she supplies a glossary of terms at the end of her poems to help the unitiated.

A book that Eliza and her readers might also find interesting (though they should not consider the title a reflection on Eliza's writing!) is Rotten English: A Literary Anthology by Dohra Ahmad. She is an academic who has done a fine job of showing why books like Eliza's are important. It's namesake, Rotten English Sozaboy: A Novel in Rotten English may also be of interest. Language is an amazing mirror to culture as these books and Eliza's demonstrate.

Eliza's book deserves five stars for its daring, both politcally and poetically.
----
The reviewer is the author of several chapbooks of poetry and is an instructor for UCLA Extension's world renowned Writers' Program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!, June 23, 2010
This review is from: A Collection of Verse (Paperback)
With lovely lilting lyrics and versatile verse, Eliza Earsman's poetry is lighthearted but with a lasting message. Scenes come alive to tantalize all our senses: The joys of adventure, pleasures of the natural world, political nuances, and insight into the essence and variety of the human species; word pictures draw us along on a journey of discovery. Eliza's verse instills a respect for nature in a non-preachy way that is neither simplistic nor obtuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful poetry, January 1, 2011
This review is from: A Collection of Verse (Paperback)
Eliza's dedication: "For justice and decent people" was an intriguing beginning.

A Collection of Verse is 28 poems with international flavor. From Barcelona to Jerusalem to Glasgow to New England, Eliza captures a little piece of several continents to share with her readers.

Several of the pieces expand from her work, Days of Elijah (Revised): A True Story.

I confess I'm not enough of an efficient poetry reader to make even a casual observation about the poems. Eliza expresses her opinion on a great many subjects of which I have only passing understanding.

One aspect of the work that I could see was a sprinkling of faith, a little humor and sassiness throughout. Her experience at the Jaffa Gate with getting bitten by bugs was probably more funny after the fact. The first poem, Schooldays, is a Gallic wonder of words and includes a translation guide; necessary for those of us who like the way the words sound but don't have a clue what they mean. The story resonates in her native tongue and I'd love to hear her spoken voice.

I don't really understand Eliza's political connotations, but I'm sure those who are intrigued by political ingénue will find Eliza's Collection of Verse interesting reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended..., June 11, 2010
This review is from: A Collection of Verse (Paperback)
I must say that this collection of poetry, although the title of the book is deceiving, is more than a collection of verse. It is a book reflecting a journey where you feel as if you have taken part in that journey with the author. The poetry is vivid and filled with emotion with Ms. Earsman splashing history throughout. The author's work stems directly from her heart into yours making it quite fulfilling. Ms. Earsman's poetry is extremely thought provoking and edifying.

Two of my favorite poems are "Barry" and "Harbor." They are as equally as vivid as the other poems but there are a few lines in each that provoked a lot of thought related to our society today. The final lines of "Barry" suggest that Barry's behavior is making him miss out on a lot of things. My thoughts went directly to the behaviors of the children or youth in our society today. They are often encouraged to modify their negative behaviors so they could reap the rewards of positive behavior. I often wonder if "they" realize what they are missing out on in life while they are wasting time getting in trouble at school or in the community with violence and drugs.

In "Harbor," Ms. Earsman clearly paints a picture of what you see and feel at the harbor. The final line of the poem makes reference to all people having to face a day of judgment despite what life we have led. I feel that that is a profound statement. It is something that is very real and in the end makes us all equal despite our social class or ethnic or racial background.

I haven't read any of Ms. Earsman's other poetry but this book has encouraged me to do just that. If you are a lover of poetry, history, and God, this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Free Spirit Speaks with a Breadth of Beauty, June 1, 2010
This review is from: A Collection of Verse (Paperback)
Eliza Earsman's command of words, her experiential background, and her deep sense of perception are spellbounding in this book. Ms. Earsman draws on her worldwide travels and personal battles to express profound meanings in our often chaotic world. I found myself going back and rereading passages of poetry that touched me deeply.

A Collecton of Verse is provocative and thought-provoking with a kernal of wisdom, love, and even prophetic insights thrown in. I very much enjoyed this engaging book.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN OUTSTANDING BOOK OF POETRY, May 17, 2010
This review is from: A Collection of Verse (Paperback)
Being familiar with Eliza Earsman's work, I can assure you that the poems in the pages of her new collection are well worth the read. Yes, it is true her book's title is rather ordinary, but keep in mind the old adage about never judging a book by its cover. A Collection of Verse most certainly, but an Outstanding Collection of Verse says it best!

--Salvatore Buttaci,
author of Flashing My Shorts

5.0 out of 5 stars New Meaning To The Word Poetry, January 31, 2010
This review is from: A Collection of Verse (Paperback)
Eliza brings new meaning to the word "poetry" where her poetry leaves you tranquil and feeling you've traveled to different worlds leaving you fulfilled. when I sit down at night from my day's work I read Eliza's poetry and I feel so much better where the peace overcomes me.

With her bold details I would definitely like to read "Days of Elijah." The spirituality and honesty in details in some of her poems bring you back to a renewed richness in faith. I have such a feeling now for our whole world.

The peace and pleasure you find makes the purchase of the book so worth while.

5.0 out of 5 stars For People Who Appreciate Heartfelt Christian Poetry, January 19, 2010
This review is from: A Collection of Verse (Paperback)
If you're a person who fully appreciates people so passionate they must embrace life and their beliefs about God and history through poetry, you'll love Eliza Earsman's "A Collection of Verse." Her enthusiasm for Christianity, justice and the history of her Scottish homeland shines through with every line, footnote and exclamation mark.

Martha Engber, author of THE WIND THIEF and GROWING GREAT CHARACTERS FROM THE GROUND UP

5.0 out of 5 stars Happpy New Year 2010, January 2, 2010
This review is from: A Collection of Verse (Paperback)
Good morning, thank you for the share and I wish you continued best in all your positive Literary Pursuits.
God Bless,
Sincerest,
William

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic Poetry, January 2, 2010
This review is from: A Collection of Verse (Paperback)
A whisper of grace in each word gives breathe to a unique collection of poetry.
I highly reccomend this book.

Georgia Woodward- [...]

A Collection of Verse
A Collection of Verse by Eliza Earsman (Paperback - July 29, 2009)
$9.99