5.0 out of 5 stars reluctant sequel (with punch)
Published on June 20, 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars Time travel, cowgirls, rodeos, rebound sex.. What?
Published on February 19, 2011 by Andrew B. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars reluctant sequel (with punch), June 20, 2000
By A Customer
I read this after "Island of the Swans"(5 stars), and the last few chapters of this book is what clinched the 5 star rating from me because they gave closure to all the questions that remained with me from "Swans". It wasn't all happy information, kind of like hearing about what happened to a lover you lost contact with 20 years ago, but that tie between the two books knocked my socks off! I can see why someone may not like this without first reading "Swans", a far fetched plot and sometimes goofy heroine. She requires much forgiveness in terms of believability. I tried to read Midnight on Julia Street, and felt the same without interest in the historial content. But, it is enjoyable summer reading, no big brainer, and really good if you READ "SWANS" FIRST!

1.0 out of 5 stars Time travel, cowgirls, rodeos, rebound sex.. What?, February 19, 2011
This review is from: A Cottage by the Sea (Paperback)
I couldn't wait until I finished this book to write a review. I don't think I am going to waste my time finishing it. I was ready for historical fiction, romance, the English countryside, etc. What I got was cowgirls from Wyoming, nonstop country grandma sayings, rodeo talk, lengthy discussions on rodeo horses and everything Hollywood. Horrible so far. The time travel was completely laughable. The main character has rebound sex with a handsome Cornish lord in a castle. From the beginning they are completely horny for each other. Not the type of romantic English story I was hoping for. Very disappointing. I am only 1/3 of the way through this nightmare and find myself constantly nodding off and rolling my eyes at this horrible story. I'm sure it will have a sappy typical ending so what's the point of forcing myself to read it. I'm deleting it from my kindle now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jaded tale featuring thoroughly unlikable heroine, November 19, 1999
Betrayed Hollywood divorcee aka ex "Miss Rodeo Wyoming" ventures to Cornish cottage to recover from said divorce; falls for handsome landlord (predictably lives in castle) amidst a plethora of twangy Wyoming cowgirl one-liners, wisdoms from "grandma on the farm" and glorfied accounts of repugnant rodeo practices. Approximately halfway through this delightful tale the "heroine" then tearfully admits to an absolutely revolting act of cruelty against a rodeo horse because it bucked too much (!) thereby throwing and killing her younger brother. At this point I threw this charming tale into the nearest trash bin. Extremely disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding historical novel--lots of romance and suspense!, November 27, 2000
"marycarrieh" (Northeastern United States) - See all my reviews
A Cottage by the Sea is a fun, page-turning read. The feisty heroine charms, while drawing the reader further into the story. Her interactions with the past help to shape her plans for the present and future--a literary device Ciji Ware knows how to use to the fullest. There's a wealth of local color also, especially for gardeners and lovers of Daphne duMaurier. It's diverting and entertaining enough for an airplane ride or lounging on the beach, but intelligent enough to hold the interest.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leave this one on the Shelf, August 8, 2001
I did not like this book at all. It seems to be typical of a particular genre where all the characters are rich and famous and wear only the best labeled clothing. The women are all glamourous, the men, model handsome.
This book caught my attention because its setting was the Cornwall of Daphne Du Maurier and supposedly its premise was similar to that of Du Maurier's great romantic classics. This could not be further from the truth. The characters in "A Cottage by the Sea" are utterly vacuous parodies; the time travel sequence is ridiculously unbelievable.
Instead of wasting your time and money on this book, pick up copies of "Rebecca", "Frenchman's Creek", "Jamaica Inn" and the "Scapegoat"; even if you've already read them, you will get more out of a repeat read than a first go at this. If you love time travel, try the Gabaldon Outlander series; although there are some improbable situations in these stories, at least they are entertaining as well as well-written with real characters who laugh, cry and speak as we do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced fun with lots of Cornwall charm!, March 28, 2000
By A Customer
A Cottage by the Sea is as charming and engrossing as Daphne duMaurier at her best. If you like historical novels (or even if you don't), you'll love this book and its very believable heroine. Fun for the beach, or for a rainy Sunday on the couch!

4.0 out of 5 stars Take reviews with a grain of salt., April 22, 2011
CAPinBoynton (Boynton Beach, fl USA) - See all my reviews
I was unfamiliar with Ms. Ware's writings, so I heeded the reviews on Amazon and read Island of Swans first. I really enjoyed the story of Jane Maxwell, so I was anxious to read Cottage by the Sea. However, because someone had reviewed Cottage as a sequel to Island, I found myself mentally jumping ahead and trying to link the two while reading Cottage. This is a mistake. Cottage can stand on its own two feet as a delightful story in itself. Yes, since I had read Island first it was nice to have the loose ends tied up; but, had I not read Island I still would have thoroughly enjoyed Cottage by the Sea. I don't think it is fair to Cottage to view it as a sequel. My advice is to enjoy Cottage by the Sea as a separate, romantic story that just happens to connect with Island of Swans at the very end. It does not have a deep plot or the historical intrigue of Island, but it does exhibit Ms. Ware's wonderful talent of character development. Cottage by the Sea does not depend upon Island of Swans, but the connection is interesting. I enjoyed both books!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pick a Genre Already!, June 8, 2011
This is a kind of time-travel book where mysteries of the family tree are revealed in flashbacks of the past to the female protagonist. I felt like this book walked the line between two writing styles, bodice rippers and modern romance. The author was not better at either enough for me to say she should stick to one or the other, her efforts in both styles were fairly adequate. Adequate being a mild critique here.

The ending and felt satisfying without being too neat. This is a long book, so it's got that going for it. It's got some charming characters and I did like the lead couple, but not enough to overlook the couple things that bugged me. Such as...
I guess I could buy a parent, in this case, the Father, being callous to his young son. But it was aggravating that in the face of sadness and longing by the boy that the female protagonist, who should have been sympathetic, was so blinded by her own problems she completely ignored the sweet little guy. It felt wrong.
Also, really really hated the folksy inner voice of Grandma, a couple touches were cute but it was definitely overdone.
The male protagonist is English but his voice was so bland, the author did a poor job of catching euphemisms and dialect.
It had some PG-13 sex sprinkled in there, but it too was bland. No real tension or chemistry.
It was charming enough to keep me reading to the end, but overall, can't recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cottage by the Sea, June 5, 2010
This review is from: A Cottage by the Sea (Paperback)
This story by Ciji Ware is an enjoyable read. I was not sure what to expect as I had not read anything by her before. Once I started reading it I was hooked. I enjoyed the characters and I am always up for a little supernatural or reincarnation in a story. There is enough mystery, romance and history to keep the reader enthralled to the end. Blythe is a fan of Daphne du Maurier's novels and renting a cottage on the Cornwall coast, where a lot of Ms.du Maurier's novels take place, is just what she needs to rethink her life and just get away from all the heartache of a divorce.
Blythe's original plans were to stay in the cottage for a month or two but ended up there the summer and struck up a business and romantic relationship with Lucas. She also ended up going back in time, via an old family geneology chart,to the late 1700's, learning the history of the previous generations of Barton Hall and the tragedies that befell these people. The past was a story of love, hate,and revenge that paralled her own life.As in any romance, the end is a happily ever after for everyone involved...Love conquers all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging Read, May 28, 2010
This review is from: A Cottage by the Sea (Paperback)
Oh my. I'm still lost between two times; modern and the 18th century. This book expertly weaves the two together so that when you switch from one era to the other there is no awkwardness at all. It all seems so believable.

Blythe Barton flees Hollywood after a bitter, devastating divorce. Her grandmother had passed down stories of ancestors from Cornwall, England so she thought she could hide out there for a while and get away from the scandal. What she didn't expect to find was a handsome landlord.

While studying a genealogical chart Blythe touches the glass covering it and finds herself as a voyeur to a seen from her ancestor's past. She experiences the events as though she was there and remembers them when she comes out of her trance.

By experiencing her past she comes to grip with her present.

I loved this book. It was romantic, it was well written and the relationship developed over a period of time. The characters were fun and diverse. I truly loved the back and forth between centuries learning about how modern Blythe's ancestors came to be in Wyoming. The writing was sharp and the dialog witty.

A Cottage by the Sea
A Cottage by the Sea by Ciji Ware (Paperback - June 1, 2010)
$15.99 $13.13
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies