5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to add to your home library!
Published on December 16, 2009 by Kathey L LaFollette

Published on July 30, 2012 by J. Adams

2.0 out of 5 stars Questionable for younger children. Gives a bad impression of life in a city, July 30, 2012
J. Adams "crustyjusty" (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Day in a City (Time Goes by) (Paperback)
We enjoyed the other books in this series (construction, farm, pirates and zoo), so we were excited about a Day in the City. Unfortunately, the tone and plot are not great for young children. I'm not sure my son, who is four, needs to be learning about people robbing other people, and graffiti and purse snatching. Literally, there's a a guy who robs people, then there's a guy who robs that guy, and then there's a thief who steals a woman's purse, and a guy spraying graffiti.

I mean, the book about life on the farm doesn't include people living in the hills without access to good dental care. The pirate book doesn't show pirates plundering and pillaging towns. So, I find the tone of the City book to be off.

I would pass on this one and go for the others. Although there is a thief in almost every book. I think the author uses that to create some excitement. Not ideal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to add to your home library!, December 16, 2009
Kathey L LaFollette (Rexburg, Idaho United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Day in a City (Time Goes by) (Paperback)
I found this book in the Library and brought it home with in the day everyone of my children 20 years to 6 years had throughly scoured the book to find all the things that were recorded with in, It even entertained myself as I read it and searched the pictures with my youngest. I have since brought home "A Year on a Pirate Ship", "A year on a Farm" and "A Year at a Construction sight." I highly recommend this series of book for any family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Toddlers, too., January 15, 2013
Giggle007 (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Day in a City (Time Goes by) (Paperback)
Even though this "Time Goes by" series is recommended for age 5 and up, both my two year old son and my one year old daughter enjoy it a lot. The book does not have a lot of words. During family circle time, we could arbitrarily pick a scene and make up story in free format. It helps imagination. It shows the time concept as well because it shows different things happening during a day. It also encourages my son to describe what happens on each page which helps him in his speech development. He could relate some scenes with what is happening in real life such as car accident, people taking taxis, buses, going to a cafe, etc. I could also show them how mommy and daddy work in an office setting. My daughter, though she cannot speak yet, she also loves to point at different things in the book. I am sure over time, she is going to pick up some words from us. This series has become very popular in our household. We are excited because our kids would voluntarily pick up a book and ask us to read with them. What more could we ask for?

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for bedtime, June 24, 2013
This review is from: A Day in a City (Time Goes by) (Paperback)
My son loves books and so do I. We like this book because it has so many pictures and little things to look at. We not only read the story but we come up with different stories from what we see the people doing at which time of day they are doing it too. I definitely would like to buy more of these for my son. I like how he comes up with different stories on his own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Book, February 11, 2013
This review is from: A Day in a City (Time Goes by) (Paperback)
Though it was shorter than I expected, it was still a good read, with a ton of things happening in every page. The recommended activity that they give to children at the end of the book is actually quite creative, and I myself would recommend it to parents so as to develop your child's creativity and imagination.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute book, January 12, 2013
This review is from: A Day in a City (Time Goes by) (Paperback)
Cute book I used as park of a curriculum in my classroom. The students enjoyed looking for people and objects hidden throughout the book.

A Day in a City (Time Goes by)
A Day in a City (Time Goes by) by Nicholas Harris (Paperback - April 1, 2009)
$6.95