Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Day Late and a Dollar Short
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Audible Audio Edition|Change
Price:$29.95

on July 23, 2001
The story was ok, a little long and a version of the movie "Soul Food" in writing with some different events. The story was to long and after reading it for a while, I sort of wanted to hurry up and finish it. Very emotional, to long, overall it was okay.
on March 2, 2014
this was a right on time book for me .I'm always looking for a good book to read . couldn't put it down . viola was my favorite, love the letter she wrote too everyone before she past . My next book will be Terry McMillan new book .I haven't been let down yet by reading her books .
on August 14, 2012
Admittedly, I am late to the party. I recently finished Terry McMillan's A Day Late and a Dollar Short (Penguin, 2002) and enjoyed it from cover to cover. There is no question that Ms. McMillan is a gifted storyteller and this work certainly does not disappoint. I am partial to stories which examine family dynamics, confront their inherent dysfunction, and lead the characters along the road to redemption. A Day Late more than delivered on my expectations.

Each chapter is narrated by one of the main characters. Readers will learn something about each family member's self-concept as well as their perceptions regarding the rest of the clan. Viola and Cecil Price, married for 38 years, are parents to their very adult (and very flawed) children: Paris, Lewis, Charlotte, and Janelle. I fell in love with Viola whose life served as a call to action for her family. A self-proclaimed "know-it-all", who believed that it was her duty to meddle in everyone else's business, Viola told the truth--whether anybody wanted to hear it or not. When she came to terms with her own personal missteps, Viola grabbed life by the horns and started anew. She also insisted that her family follow her lead. Trying really hard not to give anything away, just know that the effect that Viola's advice has on everyone else is a game-changer.

The lesson that I learned from A Day Late is to live every single day to the fullest. The next 5 minutes aren't promised, so when you decide to finally "get it together", time may not be on your side. Define who you are as a person. Follow your passions. Never stop learning. Challenge yourself beyond your limits. And if you are not sure of how to get started, pick up a copy of A Day Late and a Dollar Short. When you finish reading it, you will know exactly what you need to do.

Well done, Ms. McMillan. Very well done.
on April 23, 2014
This book is a pretty entertaining read, and it flows very well. Not too many pauses throughout, the entire read is exciting and climaxes throughout. I enjoyed this story and read it in anticipation of the movie release on Lifetime. This was actually my first Terry McMillan novel, and I would recommend it. I gave it four out of five stars b/c of the profanity. It was excessive for my taste. The story line is good, and would have been strong absent the profanity. Again this is my opinion,which I am entitled to have, so please no messages discrediting my view with liberal opinions bc I will just delete them and not reply.
on January 15, 2014
I absolutely loved this book. It was so realistic. Everyone can relate to at least one of the characters. More importantly, we have all experienced some portion of the family drama in our own lives. Nicely done.
on April 2, 2004
A Day Late and a Dollar Short, by Terry McMillan, was an interesting novel. It explored in great details the twist and turns on an African American family through their ups and downs. It was very realistic yet honestly funny. There were times when you laughed and times when you cried, but throughout the entire book you could relate to one if not more of the events happening.
In my opinion this was the best-written book that I've read in a long time. There were very descriptive settings, which made it feel like you were watching the story unfold instead of reading it. With every page turned there was a surprise that keep you on your toes. By the end of the novel you would be wishing that the pages would keep turning like the hands on a clock. Terry McMillan touched every base possible in the life of a "dysfunctional'' family. She showed how they always stuck together, and the rough times that all most tore them a part.
Terry McMillan's characters were so realistic you felt as if they were real a person you know or some you could actually meet on the streets. My favorite character was Viola Price. Viola was the mother and the main character of the novel. In many ways she is the reason that her family stayed together, and one of the biggest reasons they all most fell apart. She was strong willed, loving, and a very helpful person. I feel that after reading this excellent novel you will no longer look at family fights and hard times the same.
on April 9, 2001
"A Day Late and a Dollar Short" - at first, I thoughtsomeone was describing the striving, hungry days of my youth, tryingto exist and obtain a university education on a shoestring. ....
However, this book takes on an entirely different meaning. As youread through the pages, and if you are completely honest, you will bereminded of characters found in most families that you would prefer toleave well buried in the closet. Well, this family has "oodlesof noodles" in their closet, and somehow they all seem to emergein "A Day Late and A Dollar Short." There is Viola, acontrolling woman completely absorbed with the lives of her children;Cecil, the husband who made a lofty exit to the arms of a much youngerwoman; Paris, the judgemental child; Charlotte, emotionally unstableand deeply disturbed; Janelle, insecure and lacking in self-esteem;Lewis, brilliant but without an ounce of common sense. The list goeson, and the only downside of the book is the somewhat difficult taskof keeping track of all these characters, how they relate to oneanother and remembering "who is who, and who didwhat."
You will be attracted to the author's writing style andentertained by the bizzare but strong, well-developed characters foundin this book. Talk about your typical disfunctional family - this oneis as hilarious as a ... movie.
on July 15, 2002
Though the first 5 chapters begin rather slowly, the Price family takes the reader on an enjoyable, non-stop ride. This novel was entertainingly funny and emotionally stimulating... lots of real drama and real tears! The good storytelling by each family member is like sitting in the audience of a comedy club. (LOL)
Viola is the cantankerous, matriarch of the Price family. She introduces the reader to her estranged husband, Cecil, and her 'litter': Paris, Charlotte, Lewis and Janelle. As the grown children emerge with their own voices, the joy, pain, laughter and tears come forth also. When Viola recovers from an asthma attack, she also makes a decision to recover from the mad life she has lived for years. She shocks her husband and children with changes that enhance her value of life as well as her family. Though it's late in her life, Viola's determination propels her to enjoy life to the fullest - for how ever long that may be.
When Viola elevates her lifestyle, her family members benefit also. Eventually, Cecil and the children also make changes in their lives that help them make the most of the 'day' before it is too late for them. Viola 'seals the deal' when she helps bring the Price family together (individually and collectively).
Terry's best since "Disappearing Acts".
on December 14, 2011
I absolutely loved this book. I felt connected to each and every character. I laughed. I cried. My emotions ran the gamut and that's what I love about a good book. Ms. McMillan did it again! This book is a must read for anyone who loves realness with their drama.
on January 29, 2011
I enjoyed every single page of this book because I could make connections with the storyline. At times I felt like it was my family I was reading about. I love Terry's style of writing!