5.0 out of 5 stars the most emotional record of our era, September 20, 2004
William Tanko "fighting starlight" (Perth Amboy, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Dead Sinking Story (Audio CD)
last year I was lovingly caressing my sufficiently respectable collection of rather rare records of this so far unconventional genre that I'd fallen in love with and I really believed that I'd owned the best of the best. That's when I randomly came across this very vaguely known japanese band. I bought Dead Sinking Story upon sheer impression from reviewers, although I'd never heard a single track of it before. I expected an alright record, and would never have dared to guess what was in store for me - that the CD would change my view of life! And I'm not exaggerating here..
The very first listening of Dead Sinking Story found me with my jaw dropped, I just couldn't believe my ears! The incredible sincerity of emotion, enducing an almost trance-like experience totally took my breath away!
Today I simply can't understand why I'd spent so many years searching for the best band of this genre and never looked across the Pacific Ocean.
Yaphet Kotto or City Of Caterpillar is bliss, Isis is hypnotism, Balboa is redemption, but Envy? Envy is more than anything composed before.. Envy is GOD! - as someone stated before.

For those interested, here is the complete discography of Envy:

1.Breathing And Dying In This Place
10.Abyssal
11.split with Thursday
12.Recitation
13.As serenity calls your name

to finish this review, please allow me to recommend a couple of notable bands worth a try: Funeral Diner, A Day In Black And White, Quantice Never Crashed, On The Might Of Princess (especially the debut album), The Assistant, Human Breed, Alcest, Fear Before the March of Flames, Agalloch, Skycamefalling...

5.0 out of 5 stars Envy is god., April 25, 2004
This review is from: A Dead Sinking Story (Audio CD)
Envy is UNBELIEVABLE. I didn't know rock music could be this moving. If you like bands like Hopesfall, who fuse hardcore/metal brutality with the melodic guitars of prime smashing pumpkins, you need to hear this. Really, if you like emotional rock music at all and can deal with intense screaming, I guarantee this will touch you. This is an album that truly spans the spectrum of emotions, from the usual hardcore anger, despair, and claustrophobic fear, through serenity, hope, and ultimately heroic triumph (if you want to hear that last, listen to "A will remains in the ashes," or the album standout and one of my all-time favorite songs, "Go mad and mark." An almost entirely major key hardcore song!)
In closing, buy this record immediately: you'll be supporting true artists, giving yourself an amazing emotional experience, discovering a future classic, and changing the way you think about music, and probably life.

5.0 out of 5 stars japanese-core, November 2, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: A Dead Sinking Story (Audio CD)
I read about envy somewhere and thought i'd take a chance on what the article described as 'Japanese avant-hardcore'.
This record had me from the off. The band vary from brutal hardcore to ambience with the the same song, punctuated by almost chanty Japanese vocals. Standout tracks include 'Color of fetters', 'go mad and mark', 'reasons and oblivion' and the closing 'a will remains in the ashes'. If you are looking for hardcore that's a little different and in Japanese, here you go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to envy..., April 22, 2004
This review is from: A Dead Sinking Story (Audio CD)
This is an amazing record period. Probably the most orchestrated album from a band doing a genre, where screams can become annoying and repatative over distorted guitars. The lyrics are compelling and the melodic clean break downs are amazing. They do an awesome job of keeping you captivated to this record. Clocking in at an hour this is worth the buy and will be in your cd player for months.

5.0 out of 5 stars claustrophobic, brooding, excellent hardcore, December 7, 2003
Anders Dahlbom (Stockholm, Sthlm Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Dead Sinking Story (Audio CD)
Japanese Envy strikes gold with their third full-length release. Singer/screamer Tetsuya Fukagawa uses his voice like he's got the devil himself chasing him, and mirrors the complex but yet subtle hardcore guitarwalls a la Mogwai and Slint.
Please discover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waves of sound, April 7, 2006
Paul Dean (Arlington, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Dead Sinking Story (Audio CD)
I was introduced by City of Caterpillar by a friend, which eventually led to pg. 99, Orchid, Saetia, Yaphet Kotto and most importantly Envy. The only way to listen to this CD is with the volume all the way up. Envy's beautiful melodies feel like water lapping at your feet, while their music resembles a wave hitting you full on when they take it up a notch. It really doesn't matter that Tetsu Fukagawa sings in Japanese, for reasons obvious to those who have listened to Envy. Envy is definitely in my top 10 favorite bands, along with the groups listed above. For those interested in these bands' often hard to find titles I would suggest checking out 29 North Records site.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to this long-running band, March 30, 2005
This review is from: A Dead Sinking Story (Audio CD)
To be honest, I'd never heard Envy before seeing them in New York City back in January, but after I heard their unique fusion of hardcore and post-rock, I was hooked. They really have their own, unique brand of hardcore, featuring moderate to slow paced riffing (almost Isis-like at parts) crushing you with a huge wall of sound, then slower, softer parts, accented by malleted drums and gentler keyboards. They've forged their own path throughout the jungle that is emotional heavy music, and hopefully will continue to do this in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best emotional hardcore you'll ever hear., October 21, 2005
This review is from: A Dead Sinking Story (Audio CD)
Post rock/metal influence ala Isis/Mogwai + amazingly raw vocals + Japan - whining - the horrible musicianship found in many emo bands = Envy = the greatest emotional hardcore band in the world.

This has been Envy 101. Homework due at the start of class tomorrow.

5.0 out of 5 stars epiphany, July 17, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: A Dead Sinking Story (Audio CD)
Envy are the realization of what so many other bands have tried to accomplish: excellent, majestic, melodic, thrashing harmonies composed with astonishing intelligence. What else could anyone want from their music?