5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of time I spent in prison, in many ways.
This book is one of the strongest weapons against a common and subtle lie found in many Christian churches and other religions. The lie reveals itself as any way to evade mention of hell. If you press their theology, you find that hell is "just a concept" or "not eternal" or "not real."
_A Course in Miracles_, which purports to be...
Published on December 7, 1999 by jarred isaacs

1.0 out of 5 stars Personal encounter & scriptural reference
Published on May 31, 2006 by Brian F.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of time I spent in prison, in many ways., December 7, 1999
This review is from: A Divine Revelation Of Hell (Paperback)
_A Course in Miracles_, which purports to be fully Christian, teaches this way, as do some of the eastern or Indian religions, especially the ones that rely on re-incarnation. This book gives such an honest picture of hell, just like something any ordinary person would write after seeing hell, that I cannot dismiss it easily. Baxter's writing style is simple and those reviewers who criticise the presentation or the images as deceptive or contrived have missed one of the beauties of this book.
It is startling, as a Christian who has personally seen Jesus, to comprehend that God is capable of turning down the pleadings of a person burning in hell. But the reason why is confirmed by that pleading soul's response once he is denied: He immediately begins cursing Jesus. It is obvious that he had not yet repented--why should Jesus release a liar?
An illustration: When I went to jail, I was a guilty soul. I resisted with all of my might as I was arrested, and well into the solitary confinement cell that they put me in because I was so angry. However, after two days in there, praying all the time, I began to comprehend what was happening was MY fault, and I became deeply humbled. I began to repent. As I was allowed to mingle with other prisoners, I found there were two kinds of prisoners: those who had been humbled, and those who weren't yet. Those who were humble were rare, gentle, patient, and looked forward with faith to their release. Those who were still fighting, who still thought they were wrongly arrested, these were dangerous, liars, and traitors who played power trips on each other. Unchecked, these kinds of souls are the ones who end up in hell--they'll pretend to be your friend until they get what they want from you, then they will turn and rip you to shreds. This is what Jesus walked away from with such stoicism.
No matter what you think of this book, you will never forget it, as long as you live. I plan to read it again, not to scare myself, but to work on a closer understanding of the souls who end up in hell. I love people very much and do not want anyone to go to hell. I pray for the other reviewers who preferred to read this book on a superficial level, that they will comprehend its very clear, very eloquent, deeper message. In Jesus' name, Amen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Personal encounter & scriptural reference, May 31, 2006
This review is from: A Divine Revelation Of Hell (Paperback)
I actually met the author of this book many years ago. Even as a young, impressionable Christian, I felt reservations about the authenticity of the book and author (in my opinion, there is no way this book could be false and the author still sincere). I attended some meetings in which she spoke and they, to some degree, had the feel of Steve Martin's meetings from the movie "Leap of Faith" (i.e. fake). She often got lost in her accounts of the alleged events and, in my opinion, tried to cover this up by resorting to sensational tactics and supposedly being overcome by the presence of God. I could go into more details, but I will instead move into the content of the book. I just wanted to share a first-hand account of my encounter with the author because I believe it allows more perspective into her literary work.

While there are many imaginative accounts of encounters with those who were in the midst of eternal suffering, my biggest problem with the book by far is her account of her own suffering. At one point, she says that Jesus disappears and leaves her in hell to suffer for a short time. She tells how her flesh burns off of her and other details of great torment before Jesus finally reappears and ends her suffering. She is grieved, but Christ tells her that she needed to experience that pain so she could tell others. In Hebrews 13:5, the Lord declares to every believer "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." Contrary to this scripture, we are told that Baxter is forsaken and left to suffer in hell, despite claiming to be one who trusts in Christ. The Bible declares that Christ took our punishment- he took our place, so that whoever believes in Him will not face that judgment we deserve, but instead stand in His righteousness. Again, Baxter claims that she bore punishment that Christ already bore for every believer.

Finally, the account of a rich man in hell is given in Luke 16:19-31. The thoughts of the rich man turn to his family while he is in torment. Abraham is in a place with Lazarus where they are not in torment but the rich man can see and talk to him... so the rich man asks Abraham to send Lazarus to warn his family, saying "I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment." (v. 27-28) Abraham replies, "They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them." (v.29) Once again, the rich man implores, "Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent" (v.30) And the account is finished in verse 31 with Abraham's final response of "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." Lazarus was not sent to the rich man's house to warn the rich man's family, despite his desperate pleas. Yet Baxter claims she did the very thing Lazarus was not permitted to do.

In conclusion, I am a Christian. I believe the Bible is completely true and is the word of God. Because of that, I do believe hell exists and is a place of great torment from which Christ has made a way of escape. I am not refuting any of those things. However, please use discernment. Personally, I do not believe the accounts of this book to be true and would recommend against patronizing this woman with your business.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Detailed Tour of Hell : make the right decisions now not to go there, October 5, 2010
G. Max Gooding (Miami, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Divine Revelation Of Hell (Paperback)
Having read this book, and having heard the under-lying message of the author, I am of the opinion that this is a genuine account of what the author has experienced.

What comes foremost in my mind is the different departments and activities that actually take place in Hell. It is like a vast waste land of pain and torment. Huge demons manage the lost souls and in certain regions make sure that they stay in their respective pits. It is a place for the lost, where there is no hope, only regret, pain and suffering that is way and far beyond our imagination. Persons who chose to serve satan in this life are greeted with extra pain and humiliation, then they are packed into small cages for even more re-occurring extreme torment.

While some my say, that this is just scare tactics, suppose this is really true, are you really ready to gamble all of eternity to keep your own personal beliefs intact?

Every person should read this book, of course it is really impossible to really fully relate the intensity of this place with words, but I think that the author made a great effort to describe the indescribable.

5.0 out of 5 stars MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW, June 25, 2003
This review is from: A Divine Revelation Of Hell (Paperback)
I have read a lot of books on the revelation of Hell. I have heard a lot of sermons on its existence, but nothing had prepared me for what I was about to read between the covers of this book "A Divine Revelation of Hell."

The author, over a period of forty days, is given visions of hell and the people who are trapped there for eternity. I cannot begin to tell you the horrors that she saw and reported, but if you really want to know what is there, this is the book for you.

However, I will warn you, she is faithful to reporting exactly what she has seen and if I were you, I would prepare myself before I opened the pages of this book ,because if what she is saying is true, and I believe it is,
than we all must reevaluate our very existence and motives in this life before it is too late.

A very good read that I hope will reach many so they will turn to Jesus and never have to be trapped in this place we call Hell.

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally Unbiblical, April 8, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: A Divine Revelation Of Hell (Paperback)
This is perhaps one of the most deceptive books ever written. Loaded with Scriptures taken out of context, and stories that ridicule clear Scripture, all Christians must be aware of its falsehood. In one section of the book, titled "Outer Darkness," Baxter tells us of Christians who have fallen in their walk and ended up in Hell. The first Scripture to refute this is found in 1 Thessalonians 5:1-10, with an emphasis on verses 6-10. In verse 6-10, Paul admonishes the Thessalonian Christians to stay alert in their walk. It reads, "Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. (7) For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. (8) But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. (9) For God DID NOT APPOINT US TO WRATH, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, (10) who died for us, that whether we WAKE OR SLEEP, we should live together with Him." In verse 6, Paul uses the word gregoreo for watch, and katheudo for sleep in 6,7. These same greek words are repeated in verse 10 for wake and sleep. Now, many, including lexicographers, have argued verse 10 is speaking about being dead or alive at Christ's return. However, the word gregoreo is never used to refer to being physically alive. These are its definitions according to Strong's, (1) to watch (2) metaphorically to give strict attention to (3) to take heed lest through indolence and remission, calamity suddenly overtake one. And katheudo, the word used for sleep in 6,7,10 holds these two definitions 1) to yield to sloth and sin 2) to be indifferent to one's salvation. Now, the word gregoreo, of the 23 times it is used in the NT, in the KJV, it is translated "watch" 21 times, "be vigilant" one time (1 Peter 5:8), and 1 Thess 5:10 is the only place they translated the word to wake. In all Greek NT manuscripts, especially in Matthew, Jesus used this gregoreo/katheudo combination when admonishing us to stay alert. In verses 6 and 10 Paul uses these two words, settling the issue that even morally sleeping Christians will live with the Lord. In 1 Thess 4:13-18, Paul speaks of Christians who have died, or "sleep" in Jesus. This is different greek word . It is "koimao," which is usually used metaphorically throughout the NT of physical death. The Apostle Paul ALWAYS uses this word when refering to dead Christians (check out 1 Corinthians). And as I have demonstrated, a different word is used in 5:6-10. Also, in verses 6 and 10 of Chapter 5, gregoreo and katheudo appear in the subjunctive tense. So really, 1 Thess 5:10 should read, "whether we keep watch or sleep." Jesus also uses gregoreo in Revelation 3:3, 16:15, etc. telling the Churches to stay awake. Look at John 5:24: "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears my word and believes in Him who sent me has everlasting life, and SHALL NOT COME INTO JUDGMENT, but has passed from death into life." Also, according the Scripture, demons do not torture the souls in the present hell. They too are confined until the judgment. See Jude 6. Remember, even Joseph Smith thought Christ and the Father appeared to him, telling him to start the Mormon Church. The book of Mormon largely plagiarizes the New Testament, and contradicts it several times. I rest my case. It is the same situation here. Remember, no one can be scared into getting saved. I am sure countless numbers have turned to Christ in total fear and with concentration on works for salvation. My prayer goes out for them. Remember, the Apostles were spreading the good news. People trusted in Christ without fear in the book of Acts, gratefully giving their hearts to Him, and serving Him. Remember how overjoyed the Philipian jailer was after he and his household believed in the Lord. Let me close with these words. The fear of the Lord is important for all Christians to have, but that does not mean fear because he might send a Christian to hell. I have demonstrated that is not possible. We must fear him in a reverent way, because he has given us eternal life, and we should never misuse it. Believe on the Lord Jesus, and YOU WILL BE SAVED. (Acts 16:31)

5.0 out of 5 stars The One Star Believers, October 25, 2010
This review is from: A Divine Revelation Of Hell (Paperback)
I just want to say I agree with the 5 star reviews and also looked at some of the one star reviews which seem to be a group anally focused on fault finding rather than benefiting from the message and experience of a woman making a sincere attempt to share a very real experience.

Part of the knit-picking surrounds itself around the account of a rich man in hell as given in Luke 16:19-31. This is where the rich man asks Abraham to send Lazarus to warn his five brethren (about his torment). The rich man begs Abraham that if one went unto them from the dead, then they'll repent - his bretheren. Abraham's responds that if they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. So 1 star says since no one came back from the dead to warn the rich man's family then why would Jesus allow Mary K to have a revelation of hell and then come back to share it with the rest of us. Well, maybe the rich man's 5 brethren, whom Abraham is addressing, are a bunch of spiritually deaf, dumb, and blind individuals much like the rich man was, but that doesn't mean I am or you are or that we can't benefit even if the spiritually retarded can't. It's not uncommon to find people so thick that they can't be shown anything other than what they've decided they want to believe. Think about why Christ appeared after his crucifixion? Obviously there was benefit there regarding who Jesus said that He is and life after death. In the same sense God is using certain individuals to make you and I sit up straight and take seriously how we're going to spend eternity. So don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I hardly believe Mary K is equating her book with perfection but that doesn't mean her experience wasn't very real or that we can't benefit from it.

Another item mentioned is how in her book it says Mary K is allowed to experience some suffering in hell while Jesus leaves her. This is then followed up with the book of Hebrews, Chapter 13, verse 5 where it says I will never leave thee or forsake thee. Just because Mary K couldn't discern the Lord's presence and used the words "leave her" to represent that experience doesn't mean that Jesus wasn't there. Obviously God is there whether we discern him or not. I hate to say it but my experience with people who knit pick like that are good to waste people's time debating minor points, not questioning their own understanding, quick to shoot bullets, all while missing the big picture because they're so stuck on fault finding. And one star goes on to really drive it home with Mary is now bearing punishment which Christ said he took in our place. The fact that Christ bore our punishment and provided salvation for anyone who believes and Mary being allowed to experience various aspects of hell for a short time and for the benefit of the average person are not the same thing. The punishment that Christ paid for is eternity in hell. I didn't see anywhere that Mary K told Jesus he was being unfair and that she was not willing to participate.

It seems the book is making a positive difference for a lot of people and I highly recommended it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, January 19, 2011
This review is from: A Divine Revelation Of Hell (Paperback)
I actually was first given a copy of this book many years ago after I told a coworker who is also a Christian about some disturbing nightmares I had been having that was affecting my sleep. She didn't say anything just gave me her book and asked me to read it. I read it and to my amazement, some of the nightmares were actually scenes from that very book! I had never heard of the book or the author before. I later returned the book to her and purchased my own copy. Was it a coincidence that I had dreamt some of the very scenes or was it something else? I don't believe in coincidences. I never really shared my dreams with others because they would think I watched something, ate something or made it up. So, I stopped sharing with people who couldn't open their brain to something that was not mainstream. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if people don't even believe me on how I came to discover the book and I really don't care. The spirit world is real but those who haven't experienced it can't believe it or won't allow themselves to believe it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. All I know is that I had been plagued by nightmares with demons as the main nemesis ever since I was a kid. Eventually, I found a way to get over these which involved calling on Jesus or having angels come in to assist me. Were they real or not, I have no idea but I haven't had a nightmare in 20 years since I've used this technique. The mind is a very powerful tool. I also don't have any idea if the author actually had those experiences or if they were dreams like mine were. Like I said, the mind is powerful. Because I had some similar dreams I tend to lean toward the fact that there may just be something to what she's written. None of us will know the "real" truth until we die so I think it's unfair for people to call her a liar when no one really knows for sure. I do know for a fact that there is a spirit world and that there is both good and evil out there. Have you ever looked into someone's eyes and had evil staring back at you? Good if you haven't because it's a look that stabs you at your core. If you believe in heaven then you have to believe in hell. I believe God uses us as vessels to bring messages to the masses but sometimes the masses refuse to hear. Maybe God used her to give us a divine revelation of hell but some have chosen not to believe. Just like some don't believe in God or in Jesus. Believe it or don't believe it. We have the freedom of choice. In the end, we are in control of our own destinies. But when the truth comes out, you can't say that you weren't told.

So, I say, buy the book, borrow it from a friend or get it from the library. Judge for yourself what you believe is truth or fiction. But if you live a good/decent/truthful life, you won't have to worry about whether hell is real or not because hell won't be an option. Blessings.

1.0 out of 5 stars What Effect on your soul?, October 8, 2007
BLB (Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Divine Revelation Of Hell (Paperback)
Before you read this book, consider what effect it might have on you to do it. This was written to grab your imagination, and it will. It is intended to fill you with fear. I do not have to tell you this, if you've read the other reviews: it is going to either scare you or disgust you, one or the other.

Will a book like this tempt you to judge which other people you know are going to Hell? Very bad. Will it tempt you to judge yourself worthy of Heaven by virtue your own good works? Also bad. Will it tempt you to dwell on graphic imaginations of Hell, rather than on the gracious goodness of God and the virtues you ought to be pursuing? Also not good. Will it tempt you to fear that God is not really all-merciful, that you cannot trust God to save you but must in some way earn your way to salvation? Very bad. Will it make your preaching of the Gospel, in word and action, more reliant on fear than on the love of God? Not good.

Will it remind you that Hell is real? This is good, for Hell is real...although the extent to which it matches the many private revelations out there is up for debate. Will it make you consider seriously that the afterlife is a physical reality of tremendous consequence? That's a good thing. Will it make you more serious about the effect your life is having on the eternal salvation of not just yourself, but of others? That is a good thing. Could you not arrive at these without hazarding the possible pitfalls of the book? If you suffer the pitfalls, will you be able to put those aside? This is something to consider!

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Phil. 4:8

If you already know the direction you need to go in order to serve God, if you already love God and thirst for souls to come into His Life and Love purely for the sake of ending the suffering that sin brings into the world right now, if you already love and trust Jesus and His will to save you and bring you to eternal life, if you know God's life to be real and all else to be nothing but pain and falsehood, then leave this book alone. It will not profit you, and it may harm you, and not just you, but those you witness to and serve. It could harm your relationship with God. That is, after all, the bottom line. If you're going to fear, then remember what it is that is worth fearing.

If you are determined to read this book, or if you have read it, plan on some de-briefing. These are not images that one should dwell on.

The devil loves fear, but hates to be mocked. As for me, I would recommend that a person read worthwhile fiction such as "The Screwtape Letters", by CS Lewis. While it is fiction, it describes the wiles of the devil very skillfully and in very practical terms. That it uses humor to give you a greater appreciation of the many windows you give Old Scratch does not make it less effective. Even a non-believer will find it a revealing look into the human soul, and I think will profit from having read it.

If you spend your time considering how the devil is taking advantage of you today, and take prudent steps against these, you will not have to spend time worrying about how the devil will have at you in eternity.

As for those who think a loving God could not allow a Hell, consider that love also consists in respecting the choices of the beloved. God cannot make life apart from Him other than what it is. God will not force us to live in the real world where love makes its just demands if we are intent on living in a false, empty world with our wholly inadequate selves as the center. I think it entirely possible that those who cannot let go of their own way of doing things may choose the torture of Hell over the torture of what it takes to let go of their worship of self. If you've persisted in self-defeating choices in your life, or have a loved one who has, you know what I mean. Many may reject the graphic images in this book as gratuitously violent, even as sadistic. I think that is probably right. Remember, though, that very strong metaphor is sometimes needed to represent how bad something unimaginably bad really is, when you are talking to someone with no parallel experience. Poetry is full of metaphors that are both factually incorrect and yet absolutely necessary to convey the truth. Again, you know what I mean. It is silly to reject a good metaphor based on incompatiblity with normal physical experience.

I think that the one who desires to serve God, the one who is determined to hold back nothing that love demands, the one that desires that all know God: that one needs to fear nothing whatsoever. That one should just leave this book alone, and all like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mary Baxter has way more compassion than Jesus?, January 1, 2014
All throughout, you find that while Mary feels deeply for the poor suffering souls, Jesus for the most part is telling them "Tough titty, you made your bed now you're lying in it". Sometimes He is actually shunting the blame on the Father, as if He is saying "I would gladly free them, if only You would allow it". I think the nefarious purpose behind this portrayal of Jesus and the Father is to make them seem cruel and quite powerless; i,e., to draw people away from them.
Also, what clinched it for me that it was fake was when she had one of the sufferers, in his pit, saying something to the effect that he had been there for 40 years, and wasn't that enough punishment. Well, we know that in the afterlife, there is no such thing as time. Existence is a constant Present; no one will have a sense of how many years or even days have passed; it's an eternal "now".
Of course, it goes without saying that a lot of money was made by a lot of people, including Baxter herself, obviously. If God calls someone to a mission, like spreading a message He gave them, you do not charge for that; you just spend your own resources to do it, trusting that the Lord will provide. and especially in her case- she had a hell of a motivation! So, you would think that she would have just started getting out in the town square and speaking to whoever would listen, and then wrote a book and gave away copies, trusting in Jesus.
I have come to be convinced that God wants me to come to know Him as a true Father-100 times more loving, caring, patient, giving, etc. than any earthly parent, and that He wants me to be
"rooted and grounded in love" rather than in fear.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Divine Revelation of Hell, February 8, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: A Divine Revelation Of Hell (Paperback)
At the risk of offending many Christians(which is truly not my intention)who have read and believe MKB's revelation; I must say that this is one of the silliest books I have ever read. Prior to purchasing this book, I checked out a few of the reviews and I recall a reviewer who likened this text to a children's book. I couldn't agree more. The language is so simplistic that it reads more like a first grade primer than a divine revelation. In addition to it's simplicity, it is also extremely repetitive. Phrases such as: the Lord Jesus knew my thoughts....oh how (choose one) awful, terrible, horrible....and I cried on the inside....are repeated so many times that you wonder if you're simply reading the same page over and over. Also repetitive are the descriptions of the damned souls and the demons tormenting them. All of the souls are skeletons and the majority of the demons bat-faced. How cliche! On page 174 MKB says "what you are about to read will frighten you." I think...finally! Something interesting! MKB, however, goes on to describe exactly the same scenes which populate the previous 173 pages! Suffice it to say I was not frightened. As if all of this were not reason enough to pass on this book; MKB says she saw Satan while in Hell but offers not even a one word description of Him! If you are going to write a book about the terrors of Hell would you not devote at least one paragraph to the most terrifying thing(Satan)there?This woman supposedly stood before the king of Hell, himself....and she passes over this event as if it were nothing! This book is not believable in any way. I think MKB had a bad dream that she tried to turn into a book....and she failed. I can not recommend this book.

A Divine Revelation Of Hell
A Divine Revelation Of Hell by Mary K. Baxter (Paperback - September 1, 1997)
$13.99 $12.59